Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is your opinion about Wheat grass juice?
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: January 19, 2009 06:45PM

It tastes pretty bad - Usually pinching my nose in practice. I know it's not natural, but can this be considered healthy or very healthy in some way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is your opinion about Wheat grass juice?
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:10PM

probably not if it's stressing you out to ingest it.

imo anything that makes your butthole wince is not good for u.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:13PM

I can't drink it. Therefore I can't comment on whether it does me any good or not. I read about it and was sufficiently keen to buy all the stuff and grow some and juice my own. Yes, I did try it first in a juice bar and it didn't seem too bad - note 'too bad' not yum yum.

However the stuff i grew at home looked beautiful, grew very well but tasted vile - so bitter - that i just couldn't get it down. I came to the conclusion that if it tasted that gross it wasn't for me - yet at any rate. I know some people grow to enjoy it. Personally I can't see that happening for me but I will keep an open mind.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:19PM

the juice gives me a rush when i drink it. i believe in the benefits of wheatgrass juice. some people don't dig it. personally i would drink it more, but i get kind of lazy when i think about growing out the trays of grass and juicing them. when i do make the effort to grow the trays, and i'm hungry, an apple usually seems more palatable and i go for that instead.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:21PM

I gag at the taste but I have always wondered if different seeds taste different ? By different seeds I mean like spelt or barley ?
Does anyone have a favorite grass seed ?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:22PM

I think of Wheatgrass Juice as 'strong medicine', not for little
girls or sissies. I usually drink 2.5 to 3.5 ounces every morning
on an empty stomach. There's a nice 'rush' that follows. I like to
'chase' it with Carrot Juice. The strong taste improves if you grow
your own. I 'sweeten' the grass by using a carrot in my fertilizer
mix. The grass at Juice Bars, and that sold in Health Stores, is an
inferior product.
I've been Sold on WGJ ever since I first read about it in Victoras
Kulvinskas' "Survival into the 21st Century"......WY

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:36PM

'I think of Wheatgrass Juice as 'strong medicine', not for little
girls or sissies'

charming Wheatgrass Yogi

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:50PM

> It tastes pretty bad - Usually pinching my nose
> in practice. I know it's not natural, but can this
> be considered healthy or very healthy in some way?

Wheat grass juice, to me, tastes fine. "Pinching" the nose to drink something that one believes in is a good tool, IMO. I used to do this with SOME green drinks and over several years became so accustomed to them so as to no longer have the need. Raw chlorophyll drinks are very healthy.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:02PM

Rrraw,why don't you try to drink wheat grass juice with apples juice?
It tastes much better and you'll get the benefit of it.
If you definitely don't want to drink it,try to do a wheat grass enema and hold it for 20 to 30 minutes and than eliminate it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2009 12:01AM

Nothing else makes me feel quite like it, if you grow it yourself generally it will taste better.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 20, 2009 12:16AM

if something does not taste good at a particular place/time/person, it is not a good idea to ingest it

why have tastebuds?

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:17AM

I've seen wheat grass juice do what doctors couldn't do. Wheat grass is balancing my daughter's hormones. Everything that doctors tried made matters worse. We saw a big improvement after only a few months of adding wheat grass juice to smoothies.

After a few months of adding it to her smoothies, my daughter will also occasionally drink it in shots. Evidently, she's acquired a taste for it now that she knows it's benefiting her.

Date: January 20, 2009 05:39AM

[skeptoid.com]

While it's true that if you cut off the oxygen supply to your brain, its function will be somewhat less than optimal, it's not true at all that chlorophyll is a good source of oxygen. I suggest you continue to rely on your lungs for that, which are probably better, since you don't have leaves. All types of chlorophyll have only trace amounts of oxygen. Chlorophyll is a carbohydrate, thus its makeup is overwhelmingly carbon and hydrogen. The molecule has as many as 127 hydrogen and carbon atoms, but only 5 or 6 atoms of oxygen, 4 of nitrogen, and one lonely magnesium atom. Incidentally, this also refutes another claim: that the high magnesium content of chlorophyll builds enzymes that restore your sex hormones. Interesting, given that enzymes are proteins made of amino acids, which contain no magnesium at all. I have no idea whether a single atom of magnesium restores sex hormones, whatever that means, but if so that's one hell of an atom. If you want magnesium, take a vitamin pill. If you want oxygen, take a breath. If you want sex hormones, get a girlfriend.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:31PM

Dogs and cats eat grass to make themselves throw up.
However cows don't eat meat to make themselves throw up as they can't catch any?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:19PM

> Dogs and cats eat grass to make themselves throw
> up.

..and to satisfy other needs purhaps? Dogs and cats are often fed canned and dryed highly processed foods because they are often considered purely carnivores, and so they are sometimes don't get the veggies they would naturally get in the wild. When outdoors, grass is what is available to them.... always had cats and dogs growing upwinking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 23, 2009 03:30AM

I enjoy wheat grass juice. The smell is awesomely fresh and the taste is hardly noticeable if you mix it in with a smoothie. I find I have a lot more energy when I'm drinking it this way each morning.

Posted by: krispernugget ()
Date: January 24, 2009 03:01AM

wait, is adding wheat grass powder to water the same thing as wheat grass juice??

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:54AM

lol Yogi tongue sticking out smiley

I hurled my first shots of wheatgrass and never thought id be able to handle it smiling smiley

i started adding a little bit to my fruit juices and green smoothies untill months later i was shooting it strait smiling smiley

i wouldnt bother trying to force feed yourself if your body is rejecting it that bad smiling smiley maybe mix it up with something else till you get a taste for it , if ever smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 24, 2009 04:33PM

I am baffled by all this anti-wheatgrass juice talk, mostly because I occasionally grow my own and find it tastes really pleasant--kind of a cross between young juiced kale, shizo, and Bartlett pear. So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I use organic peat soil and mix it with Azomite, and water it with reverse osmosis filtered water. The wheat seeds are organic hard red winter wheat berries. Nothing weird. Basic wheatgrass form. Maybe my palate is peculiar!

As for dogs and cats eating grass: I'm with loeve on this. My dogs have never eaten grass for emesis, but for chlorophyll and fiber if they were feeling undernutrified. I've tested this by serving poor-quality veg-free dry kibble, which induced more grass consumption; and then serving a loose-packed cup of mixed leafy greens before same kibble once daily, which stopped grass consumption cold. Conclusion: duh! I've since switched to good quality kibble and continued the greens in preparation for transitioning current dog to a BARF diet. He's thriving.

By the way, when I pull out the wheatgrass juicer, this noble beast waits nearby, salivating, until he gets his thimblefull of wheatgrass juice. This was an innate appetite; the first time I juiced wheatgrass, I wasn't well-organized with my equipment and I ended up spilling a bit of the juice on the floor. The dog was sitting under the juicer--the scent of the crushed grass had lured him--and he licked the spot on the floor where the juice had spilled for half a minute, like it was turkey fat!

Date: January 24, 2009 05:03PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....So I'm wondering if I'm doing
> something wrong. I use organic peat soil and mix
> it with Azomite, and water it with reverse osmosis
> filtered water. The wheat seeds are organic hard
> red winter wheat berries. Nothing weird. Basic
> wheatgrass form. Maybe my palate is peculiar!
I'd say you're doing it right. Azomite is a good
Clay for re-mineralizing the soil too, if one has a garden.
I'd be interested to know what kind of juicer you use.....WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:13PM

Wheatgrass Yogi,

My juicer is one of those stainless steel manual ones that looks like a meat grinder. It's from Miracle Products, LLC. I love using it!

Date: January 24, 2009 06:18PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am baffled by all this anti-wheatgrass juice
> talk, mostly because I occasionally grow my own
> and find it tastes really pleasant-

aside from differences in taste, the anti talk is for clear reasons...

either a person thinks we have teeth for a reason, and can thrive on foods that we can chew, or you're not impressed with such logic

if you're not, then have at it - enjoy your wheatgrass.

it's the magical properties and above reasons that people comment on.

although i suppose one could make a similar, although weaker argument about coconuts and needing to climb 40 feet in the air to get them, or dates.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:58PM

I'm not real fond of the taste, but love the rush I get from it. I like to do it like a shot -- just down about an ounce of it. The after taste is not unpleasant, just kind of earthy.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 25, 2009 05:45PM

I think wheat grass juice is one of the healthiest foods a person can drink. The problem I have with it is limited to the taste. The taste is over powering and lingers for a long time. I'm still trying to figure out a way around that so that I can drink it for its superior nutrient content.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: January 25, 2009 11:02PM

I would like to take it...
I went to Ann Wigmore and they have it there like water..all you want.
I was there 14 days, drank it maybe 3 of the 14/...

My body just rejects it BAD!
Just the smell makes me gag!
I want to HURL at the smell

I actually got goose bumps!!

I forced it down my throat 3 times and then said if my body rejects this SO BAD..it does not need it

I have been vegan 17 years and high raw about 2..
Firggen meat and cheeze eaters drank it no prob!!!

ummmmmmm

Posted by: brome ()
Date: January 26, 2009 07:06AM

Wheat grass really is an astoundingly good medicine that tastes really bad. The grass family has over, 9000 species, though, and some can taste quite good and be similarly effective. I like California Brome which grows under cold conditions, throughout California, at low elevations in the winter and at high elevations just after the snow melts. I've read about the grizzlies of Denali National Park that feast on Arctic Bentgrass just after a 5 month fast (hibernation). It would be a good grass to try out if you're ever up that way, and can deal with the bears.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 26, 2009 07:42AM

I don't mind the taste of wheatgrass at all especially after trying wakame. I tried to add wakame to my diet and ate it daily for two months and never did get used to the taste. I gave up the wakame and turned to wheatgrass instead. LOL

Maybe that's the trick, eat wakame first.

Date: January 26, 2009 09:34AM

I stumbled onto a video of a woman's first effort
at growing and juicing Wheatgrass. It was very touching for
me to watch. Even her cats enjoyed the grass (at the end of
the clip)......WY

[sharing.theflip.com]

If anyone has time to surf, I also found a good website.
It would be worth your time to view his Liver-Gall Bladder operation....

[www.TimeLessHealth.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables