Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Clean body, clean house
Date: January 23, 2009 02:01PM

I have been reading posts about how many raw foodists keep "clean" houses by using no chemicals, candles, dryer sheets, etc. Reading those posts coupled with an article that I read yesterday (http://home.aol.com/new_in_home/photogallerytall/_a/is-your-home-causing-breast-cancer/20090102185209990001) indicating how bad those things are for the body, I would like to change.

My wish is to go throughout my house and toss all of my cleaning products as well as beauty products that contain dyes, etc. But, I kinda need something to replace them with.

I already use a homemade floor cleaner from vinegar and lemon. I would like recipes for glass cleaner and bathroom cleaner (both tub cleaner and toilet cleaner) if anyone could share. Also, for anyone who does keep house this way, do you use the mainstream laundry detergent and just purchase unscented or do you substitute?

Is the brand Seventh Generation (or other brands found in health food stores) any easier on the body and lungs?

The article (link above) talked about some types of candles being really bad for us and others being ok. Does anyone know which ones are ok to burn?

Also, can anyone please tell me how I can obtain 100% vegan makeup i.e. lipstick, eye liner, shadow that is just as good as the mainstream?

Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clean body, clean house
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 23, 2009 03:50PM

Have you thought about not wearing any make up - it's wonderfully liberating.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: January 23, 2009 05:02PM

I would try vinegar for the glass and tub. I also use baking soda for cleaning bathroom and kitchen and for doing laundry.

Makeup and stuff is hard-- flipperjan makes a good point about going without- which I think is probably the healthiest. Try coconut oil instead of mainstream moisturizures. I gave up all makeup except Dr. Hauschka's mascara. If you do a search I'm pretty sure there are some threads on makeup with lots of other opinions

I don't know much about candles but it seems like 100% beeswax would be the best but then that's not really vegan anyway...

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: January 24, 2009 02:03AM

7th generation is a lot better than regular laundry soap, which to me is the worst of the worst chemicals in the home, for how it affects me. I don't know any other detergent that you could make that comes even close to cleaning as well as 7th generation or the other naturals of its ilk. I tried "soap nuts" and it didn't even get the stink out of the armpit of a shirt!

You don't need dryer sheets, just skip that part.

Wet newspaper makes a great glass cleaner...but the dyes in the paper probably aren't good for your hands. I don't know. It doesn't stink, and its free. That's what I use.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: January 24, 2009 02:27AM

I wash my clothes with baking soda,and also brush my teeth with it.I clean my bathroom with lemon juice. For glass cleaner white vinegar is very good.

Date: January 24, 2009 02:28AM

Oh,yes,no make up is the best thing ever!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:48AM

heres a link where baltochef made his own laundry soap with great results smiling smiley

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 24, 2009 03:57PM

Thanks so much! Everyone has so much good advice, I appreciate it. I am actually looking forward to cleaning my home today. I am going to go to the market and stock up on Lemons & baking soda.

I am going to give the 7th generation laundry soap a try. I already use their dishsoap, etc.

I use organic moisturizers, lotions, shampoo & conditioner. You all make a great point about make-up. I going to wean myself off of it.

meganbubbs: Where do you find: Dr. Hauschka's mascara?

My goal is to be healthy and with health comes beauty-- right? Everyone comments on my clear skin since I have been eating mostly raw. They all ask my secret, but no one really wants to give up the things in life that they are accustomed to because it is less scary to run with the masses. I don't see raw veganism as giving up anything though. More like, a new way of life and preventative maintenance for a strong body and mind.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: January 24, 2009 06:49PM

Sunlightoncloudyday;
I get the stuff from the healthfoodstore/co-op, where they have a make-up counter. You could probably ask the one in your area to order it.

I think I feel the most beautiful when I am happy inside, and it never really matters how I look or what I'm wearing, because it comes from within.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma, I hope she fells better soon.

Date: January 24, 2009 07:07PM

sunlightonacloudyday

Well done on wanting to wean yourself off make up. So ghastly to clog your pores up with all kinds of 'gunk' vegan or not. I find that people look ridiculous when they are made up - so un natural.

You've all prodded me into cleaning my windows though - I tend to leave them for months - especially in the winter when there is very little sun to show up the dirt - so thank you every one.

Date: January 24, 2009 07:40PM

Ok. I did it. I went out in public without make-up -None! Something that I have not done since I was 12 or so. It is quite amazing because people seemed to notice me more. A man at the store who was ringing up my order just kept looking at me and smiling and bringing up all kinds of conversation to continue talking. Maybe people prefer to see someone more natural...or maybe it is all in my head.

This morning I went through a daunting task. I went through all of my lotions, bubble baths, cleansers, make-up, nail polish, etc. and I am getting rid of them. Next, on to the chemicals below the sink!

Thanks for the suport!

Date: January 24, 2009 08:01PM

Wow - well done you.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:50PM

I use:
Seventh generation laundry and dishwasher detergents and dish liquid, Bac-out for the toilets and Citrasolv for all those really greasy, grimy cleaning chores. I wash my hair with baking soda and rinse it with fresh lemons. I use a little Dr. Bronners soap for bathing. I rub the inside skin of a squeezed lemon (after using it for my hair) all over my skin as a tonic. It has gotten rid of my so called incurable Ketosis Polaris ("chicken skin"winking smiley that I've had all my life. Instead of lotion, I usually use olive oil on my wet skin. I do use Tom's of Maine toothpaste (without fluoride). I also use vinegar and a cloth for windows and other shining in my house and baking soda for the tub. I want to experiment with making laundry detergent and soap this year. I don't use fabric softener, but for my hand washable sweaters, I use shampoo and conditioner (as a fabric softener) from the co-op. I wore makeup from the time I was ten until five years ago (32 years), switching to makeup from the co-op about fifteen years ago. I still have make up but just don't wear it any more.

Good for you for liberating yourself from toxins!!!

Date: January 25, 2009 04:38PM

Sundancer:

Thank you for that very indepth answer. I will defininately look into implementing many of the things you discussed.

Kj

Date: January 25, 2009 06:48PM

I don't use soap because I dry brush my skin and face. It is a great feeling,and also you don't need any cream because the skin gets so soft.
And when you dry brush your face (with a face brush from Tonya Zavasta), your skin face gets so beautiful,pink,soft,smooth that doesn't need make up at all.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 26, 2009 02:37PM

No problem! I forgot to write that I use soy candles. I dry brush, too, when I remember (not enough). Cy is right.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: January 26, 2009 04:42PM

what a good idea - I think I will do the same to night after work. I will toss the cleaning products away.

thank you everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables