Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Master Cleanse - Maple Syrup
Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 03, 2006 02:14PM

Hey guys and gals -

For those who have done the Master Cleanse, I am having trouble ordering and finding the Grade B Maple Syrup. I did however find a Grade A Organic Maple Syrup from the local natural food store, and if all the difference is a milder taste, is it really that big of a difference? Has anyone ever done it on Grade A? Are there less benefits of doing it with Grade A? I want to start it tomorrow, but am confused as if I can use it or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Master Cleanse - Maple Syrup
Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 03, 2006 02:27PM

Stanley Burroughs, who is the originator of the Master Cleanse, recommends Grade B Maple syrup because of its higher mineral content. It simply hasn't been processed as much...its also less expensive. But, he does state that you may use Grade A if that's all you can find.

~K

Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 03, 2006 02:28PM

If I have candida, would you require me to do the Master Cleanse or a Juice Fast?

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: July 03, 2006 03:10PM

look for spring tree farms or maple valley. Both are organic and have b grade syrups.

If you can't find them in the stores then your best bet is to buy them online.

If you go to maple valley's website they have a 1 gallon and book master cleanser special or a quart and book special. Both are b grade maple syrup.

[secure9.nexternal.com]

Peace.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: July 03, 2006 04:19PM

I almost forgot one. In fact, I believe this is the same company mentioned in the book and it's also the brand I keep in my home. Shady Maple Farms has a great b grade organic syrup and it's the brand that Stanley Burroughs mentioned in his book. Let's you know they've been around for a bit.

[www.shadymaple.ca]

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: August 06, 2006 03:38PM

Someone told me that Maple Syrup was not RAW... anyone here have any info on that??

thanks,
mark

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: August 06, 2006 08:13PM

Yes, It would be really interesting to promote something that's NOT raw on this wonderful website.

IS there such a thing as raw maple syrup anyway?

Date: August 06, 2006 10:34PM

Maple Syrup is not raw. The reason it is used in the Master Cleanse is because of it's high mineral content and b vitamins. So far, no one has ever found another product that comes close to the same level of vitamin and mineral content which is why we all speak of it. Also, some raw foodists do use maple syrup occassionally in their recipes so it totally depends on you. However, I simply say to myself that I'm doing a master cleanse which is good for my body and I know that everything I put into it during this time which includes organic lemon, organic maple syrup, purified water and celtic sea salt could not possible be as harmful as the rest of the crap people put into their bodies.

Peace,

Marcos

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 07, 2006 12:18AM

I've used:
Godin Farm Maple Orchard
2357 Lost Nation Road
Enosburg Falls, VT 05450-5346
TOLL FREE 1-877-658-6522

They have good quality maple syrup, grade b. I haven't bothered to go organic on maple syrup because I don't think there's a difference. I used to live in Vermont and if I recall correctly, the trees are not treated in any way.

Date: August 07, 2006 08:26PM

greenie,

it's not the trees. It's the process. Organic has strict regulations about what can and can't be used in the processing. Formaldehyde is used in the processing of most maple syrup, barring organic process. This is why we all lean toward organic. If you're going to go with a non-organic variety then I would encourage you to contact that farm directly and verify what chemicals they use in the processing of their liquid to syrup. If they beat around the bush or avoid the question, as many do, then you have your answer.

Marcos

Date: August 07, 2006 08:40PM

Marcos,

Thank you, this is helpful.

Greenie

Date: August 07, 2006 09:06PM

Marcos,

I just got off the phone with two different producers and they don't use any chemicals at all to process the syrup. It's just reduced using heat. Some use very hot water to clean the equipment and some do use cleaning chemicals that are carefully rinsed. They are meticulous about that because they do not want to alter the taste of the syrup.

Where did you hear they use formaldehyde?

Date: August 09, 2006 01:25PM

greenie,

I heard about it first from Stanley Burroughs in his book, The Master Cleanse. Then I did a bit of web research and there's quite a bit about it in cyberspace.

Formaldehyde: Recent articles in the maple press indicate widespread use of this chemical in tree tapping even though it is illegal. Organic standards do not allow the use of formaldehyde.

Look for U.S. certified organic maple syrup, as some syrup makers unfortunately continue to use formaldehyde pellets and other illegal additives. Buying organic also ensures that your syrup is free from artificial ingredients and dyes, from trees that are free of pesticides and chemicals and from forests that have not been over-tapped for short-term gain.

Just do a search. Apparently, it is used in the tree tapping and not the process.

Peace,

Marcos

Date: August 09, 2006 02:41PM

Marcos,

Thank you.

I did a quick search and did come up with one article. Apparantly some farmers use(d) formaldehyde pellets where they drilled the tree to keep it from closing up, keep it producing sap. It is illegal and unknown how many if any still do it.

Nevertheless, I found a good source of organic grade b maple syrup here:
[www.PennsylvaniaMapleSyrup.com]

It's $37/gallon with reasonable shipping.

Date: August 12, 2006 02:45PM

Also, the Godin Family Farm I mentioned above is organic but hasn't gone to the expense of getting certified. Here's a message I just got from Janice:

Our syrup is produced organically we have just not put out the expense to become organic certified.

We add NOTHING to the syrup. What you get is 100% PURE maple syrup.

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: August 21, 2006 06:25AM

Can anyone give me the recipe/instructions for the Master Cleanse? Thannks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:20AM

Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: August 21, 2006 07:26AM

rooney...

here's a link to the pdf file...
[healthandlight.com]

I'm on day six... going well.

good luck

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: August 22, 2006 04:00AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 24, 2006 12:54AM

By the way, if any of you are 100% raw, you will notice that maple syrup will start giving you detox symptoms (your body will detox the syrup itself). The master cleanse is definitely a cleanse more oriented to folked whose bodies are accustomed to eating cooked foods.

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:07AM

i agree with bryan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables