Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

starches/complex carbs
Posted by: annex ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:33PM

I am trying to follow a low-fat diet. Mostly I eat fruit, green smoothies and salads, with little overt fat. But occasionally (and this probably has more to do with my emotional state than anything else... and hey I'm working on that), I desire more complex carbs. Sometimes this means I go for the worst... some cookie or other bready substance (oh how i am addicted to wheat!). but as a transition, i want to know if there is any good starchy food that i can eat instead of going straight for the loaf of bread. i feel best following the 801010 diet, but sometimes i struggle, so i rather find a way not to fall too far off the wagon, if you know what i mean.

all the more complex raw carbs, i hear negative things about (corn, oat groats); which ones do you think are the least bad... if you had to eat one?

sometimes i also try to eat more fruit as well, but sometimes my body just cannot take another piece of fruit! so that answer doesn't always work for me at this moment. i am a (wonderful) work in progress.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starches/complex carbs
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:41PM

What about sprouted buckwheat (a fruit) or quinoa (a grain)?

I dont think complex carbs can be refined flours and sugars. I think you need unrefined (whole-grain cookies, prob. made at home, with maple syrup) for that.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:44PM

IMO, eating a very satiating raw fruit fat such as avocado is less bad than eating grains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 10:44PM by Omega.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 05, 2009 01:35AM

annex

as a transition, i want to know if there is any good starchy food that i can eat instead of going straight for the loaf of bread.

I eat mostly fruit all day until I get the urge for something else that is a little less high water content food. When that happens I reach for an avocado or two. It isn't low fat but it is satisfying. Here's a link to some info about the avocado: [www.living-foods.com]

Posted by: annex ()
Date: February 05, 2009 02:41AM

Thanks. I think avocado is a great suggestion and does satisfy that urge sometimes. Sometimes I am also satisfied with just eating more fruit. But sometimes, neither fruit nor fat really seems to work and I seem to want carbohydrates that take a little longer to digest, or perhaps like ezrider says, have less water content. At that point, I don't know what to do and that's when I turn to starches. But maybe I'll try buckwheat, because that doesn't seem like a grain, which I am trying to stay away from. Or maybe a legume like chickpeas? I just wanted feedback about suggestions on what to eat in the starch category. Ideally, I don't think I would like to eat starches at all, but I am trying to transition more gradually to 801010. Thanks.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2009 06:09PM

annex,

Currently I am sprouting mung beans and green peas, apart from so called salad seeds like radish and alfalfa. I find that these sprouted legumes are a bit starchy on the palate, and if blended with greens, have a very satiating effect. Also, I am now discovering the filling effects of chia seeds, which become very viscous when soaked and can absorb a lot of liquid, promoting a feeling of fullness. I make dehydrated crackers with them and a small serving is very satisfying, and also has a good amount of protein, carbs, and vital Omega 3. Hope this helps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables