Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are raw green beans toxic?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 23, 2008 07:37PM

Hi,

Does any one have info on if Raw Green beans are toxic? I had someone tell me that recently and just wanted some facts. I have been eating them raw for a while with no issues, but when I googled for more info I actually got some hits on that. Any one know the facts? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are raw green beans toxic?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 23, 2008 09:58PM

In my experience (eating them and researching them).....the answer is no. In my observation, there are very few plants that you could buy at the store that might make you sick in moderate quantities (notably green potato, large amounts of ground apple seed, unperpared casava root, or the leafy green parts of tomato plants). Here's the wiki on it:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Alternately, wild plants and mushrooms are a different matter and should be identified by a trained individual. But the 'garden' variety stuff that you buy won't hurt you! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:56AM

nanners Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but when I googled
> for more info I actually got some hits on that.

What did you find about it? What is toxic?

Without looking into it further, the thing that comes to mind to me would be enzyme inhibitors.

But I eat them raw all the time... YummY! smiling smiley

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 25, 2008 02:48PM

If you eat more than a few of them they can indeed be toxic. That's how the plant tries to protect itself from being eaten. I grew up in Europe and there was always told not to eat them raw. In US I saw people give them to their children and wondered and did some research on it, after which I, for myself, concluded not to eat them raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables