Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Intestinal Gas Transitioning from High Fat Raw
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: February 23, 2009 08:25PM

Okay, okay I know this is TMI but I finally decided to write and see if anyone has any other insight for me. I have become one of those people that Graham and others wrote about in their books who is eating 60+% fat in a raw diet. I am trying to transition myself off of this and have myself at around 25% fat right now. My problem is that I have developed rather bad intestinal gas that lasts pretty much the entire day. Here is some of what I am doing or not doing:

no beverages with meals
obey food combining rules
no talking while eating
eat slowly (or try my best) and chew thoroughly

I haven't given a full-fledged effort to mono-meal eating for a few days but might give that a try. Small attempts at this so far have not proven any different - even eating 1 apple is an issue.

I guess my question comes down to this, if I can 'ride' this out will it go away on ts own? Is there anything else I can to do ease the discomfort (not to mention potential embarrassment - I share an office with 3 other people at work)?

Your thoughts (and chuckles) will be most welcome.

Thank you, in advance.

Patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Intestinal Gas Transitioning from High Fat Raw
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 23, 2009 11:27PM

I find that a "pause that refreshes" helps me eliminate gas and improve digestion at the same time. The pause that refreshes is that space in time where there is neither hunger nor a stuffed feeling. It is waiting on a body signal from your inner coach that indicates that the body is ready, willing, and able to eat again. Its Waiting for the first slight return of hunger signal. I find it the most comfortable part of the eating cycle. When the pause that refreshes is used together with good food combining a meal is allowed to pass through the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach and then give a fresh start to the next meal. The first slight hunger signal is very weak and you have to be tuned in to your inner coach or you will miss it and then a stronger signal will follow to remind you to eat. The first signal is so slight, brief, and weak that there is no discomfort in receiving its momentary message. Happy trails.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 25, 2009 01:50PM

lovely advice by EZ rider...

Patty, have you tried something as simple as looking at your diet and seeing if there is anything in particular you might be eating that may be causing the gas? For instance I find that wheat can have that effect, even sprouted.

You could also maybe try a tablespoon of cider vinegar in warm water to ease any discomfort in the short term. Or possibly look into probiotics/colonics. But I would go with EZ rider's idea first smiling smiley

good luck x

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:53PM

I would do daily mono eating, meaning all spinach one day, all bananas the next, or whatever you feel like. Or green smoothies.

Good luck!!

You're not eating unripened bananas, are you?

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: February 25, 2009 03:12PM

Thank you for the input. What started out as a lot of gas has become bad - my gut has been doing summersaults so much that I was starting to get motion sick. The symptoms are definitely flu-like and I am ruling it major detox.

Anything I consume - including plain water - is bothering me. I stayed home from work today to sleep because that is what I felt I needed. Yes, the bananas I eat are very ripe - many brown spots on them. I can somewhat tolerate bananas and romaine lettuce (separately) right now.

I am doing my best to just ride this out and try not to dwell too much about it. It is just difficult when I have two jobs and attend evening MBA school part-time. I would like to take time off from all and let my body adjust but that isn't completely feasible.

Oh, in addition to all the intestinal distress, I have been experiencing visual migraines. I also have many brown sports (birthmarks/liver spots?) appearing especially on my legs.

It is interesting that there have been a few posts about detox as of late and how some get major detox while others get none. I am meeting with a colon therapist in a couple of weeks for some insight into my concerns.

Thank you again.

Patty

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 25, 2009 05:42PM

I had a very bad intestinal flew. It was so painful that I could not sit nor lay down so I walked around the house all night. I thought I was over with it but felt very tired throughout the week and then I started to get chills and a fever. I stopped eating and sipped water the illness passed within three days. Other family members got sick around the same week and they were vomiting and chills with fever as well. At first I thought I ate to many brazille nuts but this was more than that.

I hope you get a answer for your illness. Keep us posted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables