Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

recipe overload!!
Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: July 03, 2006 04:21PM

Here's a question; I have purchased three books for raw recipes, and they all call for a large amount of nuts in most of the recipes. No problem, as I think those recipes help me with the transition (going into week 2 as raw vegan!) smiling smiley
But in my last post, a few of you noted that I may be eating too many fats (nuts?) and that including more sweet fruit will help energy levels for exercise, etc. My question is then, WHY are SOOO many of the raw recipes filled w/ nuts if the fat in them is bad for you? I am starting to wonder what I should/can eat to maintain energy for workouts. Any advise? I went out an bought a couple of raw nut butters and several types of raw nuts thinking I was on track, but after reading here and researching online, it seems that I shouldn't be eating those either! I am trying to lose a few extra pounds, and the raw eating is helping that, but now I'm concerned about the nuts. I know I sound neurotic, but this is bugging me! Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recipe overload!!
Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 04, 2006 03:00AM

A lot of raw food recipes can be used for transistion and then an occasional treat. You`re right. A lot of them are in fact unhealthy and not " natural"
It`s not natural to consume that much fat, so many nuts etc. If we loved in the wìld we`d mostly eat greens and fruit, not so much fat.
Need to be super creative to come up with healthy recipes.
I think Frederic Patenaude has a book out with really healthy recipes.
Maybe you`d like it. It`s called Instant Raw Sensations
www.fredericpantenaude.com

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 04, 2006 06:20AM

Dafodil,

It's been many years that I've been working on a raw food diet, striving for a good balance that can be maintained with regularity and the highest consistency. I have found that for myself, I cannot successfully maintain a raw food diet without eating nuts and seeds on an almost daily basis. Usually about 1/2 cup of seeds AND about 1/2 cup of nuts OR 1/2 avocado.

HOWEVER, I totally avoid nut butters and seed butters like the plague, whether or not they're labeled raw; and I never eat additional fat from oils except that about twice a week I have olive oil on my salads. On the days I eat a salad, I also get fat in my diet from raw wheat germ added to the salad.

I am post-menopausal, so at a time when I should be finding it more difficult to maintain my weight, I am consistently weighing 93 - 95 lbs at 5'1".

Nuts and seeds provide the highest quantity of protein per gram of any raw food, and they contain especially high quantities of minerals that are necessary for a healthy diet. Almost every day I mix 1/4 cup UNhulled sesame seeds with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds for a great source of calcium and iron.

I eat simply, not bothering with recipes. If I want a piece of raw fruit, I can eat it. If I want some kind of nut or seed I can eat it. If I want veggies I can eat them as they are or make a salad. Salads are the only thing I eat that takes preparation time (unless you consider the preparation involved in peeling a banana or cracking a macadamia nut).

It took me a long time to get over my fear of nuts and seeds because I was afraid they'd make me fat. It's true that it's good to keep the intake low; but in my case, when I avoided nuts altogether, I ended up binging on cooked grains which are a lot more fattening than raw nuts and seeds.

Since you mentioned working out, I will also say that I don't eat nuts or seeds until AFTER I've worked out (I work out in the morning). I do yoga, run 5 miles, and walk 1/2 mile with weights. I usually eat nothing before I do yoga, then I eat 3 or 4 small bananas and run, then walk with weights. Then I eat breakfast consisting of fruits and either nuts or 1/2 avocado.

Since you're just starting to transition, you might try a short (3-7) day fruit or fruit/vegetable juice and herbal sun tea fast just for the experience of lightness and a different kind of energy connection. If you try this, I suggest you break your fast on raw fruits and vegetables and avoid nuts or seeds until the next day if possible.

In my opinion, there are 3 food groups: raw fruits, raw vegetables, and raw nuts and seeds. Each group makes it's unique contribution to a wholesome raw food diet.

Best wishes, Ally

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 04, 2006 10:37AM

You don't need a recipe book to know how to eat an apple or banana or any single piece of fruit! So the recipe books fill that gap for the other stuff, maybe you'd eat something from a recipe book once a day while transitioning.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 04, 2006 06:56PM

Dafodil,

One of the questions you asked is why are so many raw food recipes filled with nuts...?

In my opinion, the reason is that the nuts lend more interest to a specific recipe, and that's what sells books. These recipe books are not only competing with other raw food cookbooks, but SAD diet cookbooks as well. Not too many people would buy a recipe book telling them to peel a banana!

I agree with Funky Rob that maybe once a day use one of the recipes while you are transitioning (but still try to avoid nut butters if you can). Recipes can also be good for social occasions. Kids might enjoy some of the recipes.

As I mentioned in my above post, my own experience has shown me that nuts and seeds are important food sources, but you don't need much.

-Ally

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 04, 2006 11:10PM

funkeey
has some funky cool rob - by like advice
u don't need no book to tell u how to eat a piece of fruit
u just wash it
and u just admire it
u can smell it too if u are moved to do such things
then u can cut it
or not
then u put it in your mouth
u move yer teeth back and forth
and voila!!

all is well

listen to the funky funkmeister

he knows what he is talkin about

doncha robbie??

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 05, 2006 12:21AM

You're right. Too many nuts is too many nuts.

Have you tried Green Smoothies?! You can vary them every day. I'm moving to Green Smoothies and dehydrated flax flat bread as my mainstay and other stuff will be no pressure, just for fun, variety, whatever. winking smiley

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 05, 2006 05:14PM

I think those raw food cookbooks can be extremely helpful when first starting out - including all the nut-laden recipes contained therein.

Nuts and seeds and avocados will give you that satisfying feeling of fullness you're used to on a traditional diet.

I myself ate TONS of fat in the first few weeks of the diet - now, not so much, but I'm still a fan of daily nuts & seeds. And despite being such a lover of high-fat raw food, I still lost weight.

Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: July 09, 2006 08:03PM

Thanks to you all for all the info and input! THis really helps me not become so frustrated. Why are the nut butters bad? Is it b/c they go rancid faster?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables