Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

flu in Mexico
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 26, 2009 07:04AM

This is heading every news broadcast at the moment. I hear there are cases in America too. Are you worried?

Being raw generally helps one stay well - I wonder how it will help against something like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flu in Mexico
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 26, 2009 08:33AM

not worried , no point in worrying , i dont live or partake in any high risk reasons to worry

also i think its just a bunch of crap. its 1:34 am and already 10000 people in the world have died since midnight, so 88 people dying in a few weeks from a flu seems a bit weird to jump the gun on

sounds like the NWO (new world order) is just whipping us up into a frenzy again

control by fear smiling smiley

in less than 2 minutes 88 people around the world died of cardiovascular disease .. is it a pandemic??!!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 08:38AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 26, 2009 12:22PM

Get rid of your television, don't listen to corporate radio, exercise, meditate, get out in nature, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Watch this: [vimeo.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 26, 2009 12:59PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get rid of your television, don't listen to
> corporate radio, exercise, meditate, get out in
> nature, eat plenty of fresh fruits and
> vegetables.
Nice list Lee. I think, in general, it's best
to become as Self-Sufficient as possible.....even to the
point of growing your own food....WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 26, 2009 01:16PM

There has been a lot of talk in my house lately about a pandemic because my husband's boss is a Boy Scout Leader and he was called to a meeting about warning his community of a pandemic and to prepare. He is concerned about it. He says we should all have a 3 month supply of rice and beans. We haven't done what he said to do. We have a very nice garden though, a couple of fruit trees and tons of wild edibles.

Because the Swine flu is occurring in Mexico and spreading into Texas, and since most of my friends and family live in Houston, I had an interest in reading about it. As I was reading a news article I thought, I wonder what people on living and raw foods think about this. Then I came here and lo and behold I see this thread. Cool smiling smiley

I am not "worried" about this flu being a pandemic.

When a pandemic does occur, which I think is part of nature and eventually will happen, I will have already prepared by making myself and my family very healthy. We will do whatever we need to do no matter any circumstance. I have decided to never worry about what "could" happen. That being said, I can't help but think about all my non-healthy family members (my mom in particular) that could die of this flu if they were to get it. It is spreading into Texas and my mother lives in the medical center of Houston and is never well. It isn't far fetched for me to think about those things, but I don't "worry" about what might happen. I sleep better if I just take things as they come. Death is a part of nature and I love nature.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 26, 2009 02:56PM

I heard a broadcast in which it was explained that it's not the sick, elderly and children that will suffer from this 'pandemic' as much as young adults and middle aged who have very healthy immune systems. Supposedly, the healthiest immune system will quickly kick in and over-react, vigorously, with high fever and inflammation response, which can (perversely) enable the virus to multiply more rapidly and be spread even further through the body.

Anyway, I'm skeptical. The whole thing doesn't ring true to me, and I'm not concerned.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 26, 2009 03:08PM

I just read with the Swine flu young and old are the concern.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 26, 2009 06:28PM

i have heard that many of the deaths have occured in people under 45. Tonight I heard that if given early enough an anti viral drug will cure it.

The point of this thread is to have a discussion - i too am not worrying, I am merely interested in the general take on it and if any one has been affected in any way by it.

Date: April 26, 2009 09:15PM

What people die of:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 09:15PM by Lee_123.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: April 26, 2009 10:55PM

read up on rummy and friends! I dont buy it just by the numbers, they are nothing
and could find that amount any day of the week for years, but rumsfeild has scare
tactics down and made millions before on avian bird vacs, this is just an add for
a vaccine you might buy. We also sell bridges are you buying ? this rumsfield guy and his friends are the are the real swine flu! the rest scare sale tactics.

Rumsfeld and the horseshoe crab that could save your life
By Lisa Parsons
HippoPress.com [www.hippopress.com]

"Crab Wars: A Tale of Horseshoe Crabs, Bioterrorism, and Human Health," by William Sargent, 2002, University Press of New England, 124 pages.

There are fewer than six degrees of separation between a horseshoe crab and you.

Marine scientist William Sargent makes this clear in his new book, "Crab Wars: A Tale of Horseshoe Crabs, Bioterrorism, and Human Health." It's a short book, almost a long magazine article.

Horseshoe crabs live in U.S. East Coast waters, including Cape Cod.

(They are, by the way, not crabs.) They pre-date dinosaurs and have changed little in 250 million years. Their primitive immune system makes them medically useful to humans.

A certain extract from horseshoe crab blood, called lysate, is widely used to test drugs and vaccines for bacterial contamination. This is where you come in. Every time you get a shot or receive certain medications, you're benefiting from this medical breakthrough.

Lysate is so valuable that a horseshoe crab is worth $2,500 over its lifetime for the stuff. (One crab can give its blood repeatedly.)
But everyone wants a piece of the horseshoe crab. Doctors and drug companies want them for lysate; fishermen want them for bait; certain birds need their eggs for food. There don't seem to be enough horseshoe crabs to go around.

And-here comes the bioterrorism connection-if we're all going to get vaccinated against smallpox, we're going to want lots of healthy horseshoe crabs around.

William Sargent is worried. Worried that there won't be enough horseshoe crabs and worried about Donald Rumsfeld's history of indiscriminately vaccinating people.

The Rumsfeld history starts in 1976, when a military recruit in New Jersey died from a flu that experts speculated might be the "swine flu" virus of 1918 pandemic fame. As Sargent tells it, Rumsfeld, who was then and is again the nation's secretary of defense, made the imminent "swine flu" a political issue to add some spark to the campaign of President Ford, an interim leader without a cause. At Rumsfeld's urging, the administration would ensure that "every man, woman and child" was vaccinated. Huge amounts of vaccine were produced and distributed quickly.

Some batches were contaminated. This was in the days before lysate. Six hundred people sickened and 52 died. The program was stopped a month after the election.

And nobody got swine flu.

"It was," writes Sargent, "modern medicine's most flagrant miscalculation."

The following year the horseshoe crab lysate test-faster, cheaper, more sensitive-began to replace the rabbit test for ensuring the purity of vaccines.

Sargent points out the similarities between the '76 swine flu scare and our current predicament with regard to smallpox.

"How will the United States protect itself against bioterrorism?" he asks. "The Department of Defense proposes that $343 million be spent to produce forty million new doses of smallpox vaccine."

Sargent is concerned about the possibility of bacterial contamination in vaccines that are rushed to market, and suggests that such contamination might have been behind adverse reactions to the vaccine in the past. "Who was the architect of that ill-fated campaign (in 1976)? Donald Rumsfeld, one of the architects of the present campaign."

But at least this time we've got horseshoe crabs, right?

Right, if the fishermen and the red knot birds don't get them first, if we don't allow our impatience to decimate their population, and if we don't pollute or mishandle them to death.

Sargent explores that tangle of issues succinctly in "Crab Wars," an engrossing little read for the lay scientist, the political junkie, the environmentalist.

William Sargent is the author of "A Year in the Notch: Exploring the Natural History of the White Mountains" (2001), "Shallow Waters: A Year on Cape Cod's Pleasant Bay" (1999), and other books about science and nature. He has taught in Massachusetts, conducted research at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, and worked as director of the Baltimore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 11:05PM by riverhousebill.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 27, 2009 04:32AM

Bill Sardi 'Knowledge of Health' Major Health Alert (on this outbreak)
[www.knowledgeofhealth.com]

Excerpt detailing contents of WHO report:

"The majority of these cases have occurred in otherwise healthy young adults. Influencza normally affects the very young and the very old, but these age groups have not been heavily affected in Mexico.

....This scenario is eerily similar to the Flu Pandemic of 1918 that encircled the world and results in an estimated 50 million deaths, mostly among young healthy males. The flu usually strikes the immune compromised, young children and the elderly."

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 27, 2009 12:05PM

Thanks Kwan. My Husband told me the same thing last night.

I have to say I am getting a little darkly curious about how my world could be changed by this flu. All of my friends and family live where it is breaking out.

After all the hype my husband's boss has given us about preparing we were already talking about it so much.

Pandemics are part of a cycle of nature. I know they happen. This sounds like it's on it's way to being one.

We shall see.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 27, 2009 04:44PM

kwan,

As you mentioned above, an effective virus must be able to survive under extreme stress. Incubating initially in healthy hosts allows the most hardy of the viral cells to survive the immune response, replicate, kill the host, and transfer to another and another. With each replicant mutation in a healthy host, the virus becomes more virulent. Thus, immune cells of subsequent unhealthy hosts; a population with poor hygiene, for example, become totally ineffective at suppressing the virus, and the virus can spread amongst the majority of the population unimpeded: pandemic.

I have often thought, forgive my clinical view of the biosphere, that a pandemic was coming and necessary. Though brutal, global infection is Nature's most effective way to limit populations. Mercifully, most pandemics kill quickly. This swine flu has the signs of being such a contagion: the two populations primarily susceptible are we [pesky] humans and our unnaturally large numbers of hybridized swine. Hopefully, those of us who are raw shall fare well. It is one more instance that drives home the point that the world would be a better place if we were all vegetarians. And if the only piggies would be the ones foraging for tubers and small rodents in the deep woods of north eastern Asia. The lesser our load on Nature, the more kind she would likely be to us. Or it comforts me to think so . . .

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:29PM

You have to remember the flu epidemic of 1918-1919 which seemed to kill the 20-40 year olds:

[en.wikipedia.org]
"Patterns of fatality
The influenza strain was unusual in that this pandemic killed many young adults and otherwise healthy victims; typical influenzas kill mostly infants (aged 0–2 years), the elderly, and the immunocompromised. Another oddity was that this influenza outbreak was widespread in summer and fall (in the Northern Hemisphere). Typically, influenza is worse in the winter months.

People without symptoms could be stricken suddenly and within hours be too weak to walk; many died the next day. Symptoms included a blue tint to the face and coughing up blood caused by severe obstruction of the lungs. In some cases, the virus caused an uncontrollable hemorrhaging that filled the lungs, and patients drowned in their body fluids (pneumonia). In others, the flu caused frequent loss of bowel control and the victim would die from losing critical intestinal lining and blood loss."

[virus.stanford.edu]

"The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than World War I, at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

In the fall of 1918 the Great War in Europe was winding down and peace was on the horizon. The Americans had joined in the fight, bringing the Allies closer to victory against the Germans. Deep within the trenches these men lived through some of the most brutal conditions of life, which it seemed could not be any worse. Then, in pockets across the globe, something erupted that seemed as benign as the common cold. The influenza of that season, however, was far more than a cold. In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40.This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy. 1918 would go down as unforgettable year of suffering and death and yet of peace.

The effect of the influenza epidemic was so severe that the average life span in the US was depressed by 10 years"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 05:36PM by tropical.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:39PM

Mexico has reported 10% of what CDC has reported in that country,
You dont need a face sheild, you need hip boots.
last avian bird flu scare put millions into Donald Rumsfields pocket,
this time around it will be billions, Pure Politics and Impure science
saving the day again. Bio Wall st.

the timing- economy and panademic like a weekly mind set from DC
A culture of fear, want to control them keep them scared Orwell!
Read up on this swine stuff and the other little piggys involed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 05:49PM by riverhousebill.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:56PM

I think it's nothing for me to worry about. I feel like I am protected since I've been taking the Iodine, and eat better than most folks that eat only the SAD.

I do think it is something that can spread quickly as any flu can, and some people do pocket money from it just like they do fromw wars, or drugs, etc.

Maybe if it happened it might wake people up to what they can do for themselves since all the sources for care would be inudated with patients.

My son has been in NYC for a year now and has been sick a number of times, for lengthy periods of time. I said maybe it was his body reacting to the 8 million people joined at the hip there and all the germs, pollution, etc..and that I felt taking Iodine helps to keep those things at bay.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 27, 2009 06:02PM

Overpopulation.

Too many rats in the cage.

Mother Theresa said using condoms was sinful.

Tax credits for breeders. More kids? More tax deductions.

Date: April 27, 2009 09:01PM

This is a good vid about treating the flu, it's an old vid so it's not specifically about the swine flu but the info is good.

[www.youtube.com]

summary:

* expose yourself to the sun to get plenty of vitamin D

* Avoid stress

* Sleep well

* Eliminate sugar from your diet (even fruit/carrot juices)

* Administer a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) into each ear

More about hydrogen peroxide and the flu

[www.healingdaily.com]

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:53PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... so 88 people dying in a few weeks
> from a flu seems a bit weird to jump the gun on
>

> in less than 2 minutes 88 people around the world
> died of cardiovascular disease .. is it a
> pandemic??!!

People also die on a regular basis as a result of medications -- medications 'properly taken' as precribed or as a result of an 'adverse' side effect. Yet the news is virtually mum on the subject and chooses not to provide a steady daily stream of grim statistics of these deaths or of those who didn't die, but whose health was severely impacted.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:11PM

More people die in the USA of hospital mistakes than die of AIDS.

No celebrities holding fundraisers to find a cure for hospital mistakes.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 28, 2009 05:41PM

I think they are thinking ahead of the potential for rapid growth and the way you catch it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2009 06:07PM

Like Diabetes. My friend was on the wrong insulin and I found him in a diabetic coma. I just watched "Simply Raw" and was amazed! I'm enrolling him in the possibilty of RAW foods.

Date: April 28, 2009 06:08PM

You can avoid hospitals,medications, getting aids or cardiovascular disease. Those things don't threaten me or my family because of our lifestyle.

We might not be able to avoid a pandemic that kills the healthiest people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables