Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chlorophyll instead of blood
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 30, 2008 03:51PM

If you needed a blood transfusion but refused for whatever reason, would you drink chlorophyll?

[www.noblood.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chlorophyll instead of blood
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: November 30, 2008 06:43PM

Has anyone ever injected wheatgrass>?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 30, 2008 06:46PM

No. Blood and chlorophyll are not chemically completely identical. You can't just put whatever into your bloodstream as into you mouth. Well, you can't just put whatever into your mouth, either; )

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: November 30, 2008 09:28PM

I've heard young coconut water can be used for blood transfusions, though. Anyone know more about that?

Date: December 01, 2008 01:11AM

LOL Lalita at Ann Wigmore Institute told me she knew two guys who did it, inject it..

I am ust trying to make you guys laugh. But for real. People do it. I have seen the eyes get washed out and I watched two people snort it in class, even the teacher.. at the Ann Wigmore Institute!

Date: December 01, 2008 10:51PM

That's odd that someone would inject themself like that.. hopefully it's just a few CCs and they are trained in medicine.. but really hope it ended there.. chlorophyll would be regarded as a foreign substance in anywhere but the digestive system imo.... but the topical eye wash kind of thing sounds cool.... they snorted it?.. haha

Date: December 01, 2008 11:33PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard young coconut water can be used for
> blood transfusions, though. Anyone know more about
> that?

For the purpose of "hydration", "coconut water" has been studied
and found effective. [www.sciencedirect.com]

I read "tender" coconut water could be used in emergencies in
remote locations, but that it is not quite up to the level of real
blood plasma because it is missing things like clotting factors.

For the treatment of diarrhoea: [www.sundayobserver.lk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 11:44PM by loeve.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: December 02, 2008 12:20AM

I am very interested in the effects of chlorophyll on the human body. I've read a lot about it and have my daughter on a high chlorophyll diet to restore hormonal balance. We're starting to see some improvements that are very very encouraging.

I would definitely consider using liquid chlorophyll instead of a blood transfusion.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 02, 2008 12:21AM

i think i'll stick to getting my chlorophyll the ol fashioned way via chewing hehe winking smiley

Date: December 02, 2008 01:03PM

Yes, chlorophyll can be consumed in many ways, from whole foods to juiced to powders and proprietary blends. Venders of chlorophyll offer products from the reasonable to the absurd.. it's all part of the question..

The formal study of the effects of chlorophyll on the body is in its infancy.. a 2007 study breaks down some types of chlorophyll, some derivitives of digestion and their absorption, mentioning cancer prevention, and just touching on its effect on building blood.. [www.nrjournal.com] (full text may be available at site)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 01:15PM by loeve.

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: December 02, 2008 03:14PM

Chlorophyll is a phytochemical,but not a nutrient for humans and is not absorbed by the body.

Date: December 03, 2008 02:07AM

Reminds me to takle my wheatgrass today. Before Paris Hilton's BFF show comes on.

Date: December 03, 2008 06:05PM

C. Dove Wrote:
> Chlorophyll is a phytochemical,but not a nutrient
> for humans and is not absorbed by the body.

True, chlorophyll is a plant chemical that begins the conversion of light energy into chemical energy.. and is not a nutrient (proteins, carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber).. but it is used by the human body in the digestive system, and is partially absorbed AFTER it has been broken down into smaller components [www.jlr.org] ..

It has been suggested that chlorophyll may have systemic effects [www.nrjournal.com] "6. Conclusions and future directions -- ...Following the common assumption that chlorophyll is unabsorbable by humans and the strong data to indicate antimutagenic activity in vitro, a central hypothesis has been formed around the notion that mutagen trapping in the GI tract is the primary mode of action by which chlorophyll and its derivatives deliver cancer preventative activity. Acting as an interceptor molecule that reduces systemic bioavailability of ingested carcinogens, the commercial-grade chlorophyll derivative SCC has demonstrated promising results in human clinical interventions [16], [17]. However, after identification of SCC components in plasma of humans under SCC supplementation [38] and data suggesting that natural chlorophyll derivatives are absorbable by human intestinal cells [49], [50], consideration of the extent to which chlorophyll may deliver more systemic physiological effects consistent with the prevention of cancer has become important. Promising data on the ability of chlorophyll to modulate xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes [115], [116], [117], [118], [119], [120] and induce apoptosis in cancerous cells [121], [122], [123] hinge on the ability of chlorophyll and its derivatives to be present and potentially absorbable at target tissues including those of the GI tract and beyond. Further complicating this picture is the complexity of chlorophyll derivatization induced by food processing, digestion, and analytical handling (not covered in this review). Understanding the nature of specific chlorophyll derivatives present is a challenge that can potentially confound specific investigation with whole food systems.

"Whereas food processing effects are well established, a more complete understanding of the chlorophyll derivatization through digestion, the degree to which chlorophyll derivatives are absorbable, and the absorption and formation of any specific chlorophyll metabolites is absolutely required to further our understanding of the role these pigments may play in the prevention of chronic disease. Although efforts have begun, many questions remain, including if natural chlorophyll derivatives are absorbable intact at all. Information such as this is critical and will facilitate the design of future research on chlorophyll targeting specific forms and metabolites that represent biologically relevant derivatives. In this regard, it is important that future studies expand beyond in vitro and cell culture models to relevant in vivo models addressing absorption and distribution of chlorophyll derivatives. With only limited information available from SCC derivatives, it becomes important to consider that even low absolute bioavailability of natural chlorophyll derivatives from green vegetables would be significant considering the high concentration of these pigments in the plant tissues.

"Based on recent epidemiological evidence linking chlorophyll consumption to a decreased risk of colorectal cancer [4] and the high concentration of these pigments in the GI tract, the intestinal epithelia should be highlighted as a logical target tissue to further explore the relationship between chlorophyll and cancer prevention. Investigation of chlorophyll uptake and accumulation by these tissues would serve to expand our understanding of the role these pigments may play in the prevention of GI tract cancers. Finally, understanding uptake and metabolism of chlorophyll by intestinal tissues would also begin to address other physiological implications of chlorophyll absorption including potential interplay with structurally homologous porphyrin derivatives such as heme and cytochromes."

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 03, 2008 06:15PM

Wow, loeve, I am in AWE.

Date: December 03, 2008 10:43PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Wow, loeve, I am in AWE.

..me too at the studies, the theories and all..

I read back thru a lot of the chlorophyll posts in "search".. there's a ton of great info..

I'll bet there's a lot on blood building as well..

Blood is so different than chlorophyll, I'm afraid any (SAD) people taking manufactured derivatives like "chlorophyllin" in hopes of "building blood" might not be well served.. but those who go on eating balanced diets, raw foods and whatever else they are lacking will do well..

A side by side comparison of heme and chlorophyll does not really do them justice imo.. too schematic.. [www.wheatgrass.com]

..then a look at hemoglobin [faculty.stcc.edu]

..and hemoglobin is a molecule within the red blood cell, which developes in the bone marrow, and is just one component of blood..

..it's what comes along with chlorophyll in fruits and veggies that makes it..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 10:57PM by loeve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables