Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chewing vs Blending
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 10, 2009 02:57PM

Every morning I start my day with some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and a couple of cloves of garlic. I chew the garlic cloves well while sipping on the grapefruit juice. Today as an experiment I blended the garlic & grapefruit juice. Immediately after consumption I felt discomfort in my gut. This does not happen when I chew the garlic and sip the grapefruit juice. The discomfort remained for a little while and then dissipated. The only thing different today was the methodology.
Has anyone else noticed any differences between chewing and mechanical preparation ?
What do you make of that ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chewing vs Blending
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 10, 2009 03:35PM

my guess is that you need the digestive enzymes in your saliva to start working on all of that garlic. even when drinking straight juice, it's good to "chew" it a little and let it mix with the saliva before swallowing. sometimes i get a stomache ache after eating if i have eaten too fast, and the food didn't get a chance to begin it's digestion in my mouth first.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: May 10, 2009 03:53PM

I don't "chew" juice and never had any problems.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 11, 2009 03:17AM

Maybe each person is different. But for me, I usually feel some stomach discomfort after any kind of smoothie - even all fruit.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 11, 2009 05:41AM

EZ Rider

I remember a lady contacting me who was blending grapefruit with a sweet fruit and having tummy pains each morning.

Now, I know garlic's nothing like a sweet fruit, but I'd recommend not mixing grapefruit with anything - to be safe!

Also, bear in mind Natural Hygienists (and others, eg some monks) see garlic as a toxic, noxious thing - and two cloves is a lot!

Date: May 14, 2009 05:18AM

EZ rider, you may find this article of interest:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: May 14, 2009 11:58AM

Good article, Debbie. I take about an hour to drink my 32 oz. morning smoothie, swishing it through my mouth. I was wondering, I should probably rinse my mouth with baking soda solution afterwards, right?

Date: May 14, 2009 02:28PM

Hi Sundancer

Thought I'd replied to this, so apologies if it comes through twice.

Firstly, I should say that, although in the article I did present the views of some that smoothies should be 'chewed'/swilled (and the advantages of so doing), I must confess to generally pretty much glugging it down myself! I am wondering, actually, if you take an hour, whether any advantages in drinking it slowly might be offset by disadvantages re oxidation...but who knows :-)

I don't use baking soda at all. Why do you think you would need to rinse with baking soda afterwards?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2009 03:09PM

Sundancer,

You can just rinse your mouth out with water afterwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables