Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
feeling up and down
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 15, 2009 01:10PM

At the moment i am feeling up and down. One minute I feel great then a bit later I feel abit light headed. Is this because my body is reajusting

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feeling up and down
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 15, 2009 01:42PM

Don't know, would be speculation to say.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: June 15, 2009 02:20PM

yes. I had similar symptoms when I first started raw. It'll go away.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2009 03:14PM

Don't know, but it could be a blood sugar issue. I get that way when my blood sugar gets low, especially after I give up candy and such.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 15, 2009 09:09PM

The sugar in fresh, whole, raw foods is more natural then sugar from a package or box and is more easily used by the body. You may want to experiment with eating smaller more frequent raw meals and see if that helps to maintain levels.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 01:58AM

You might want to incorporate some green juices (from veggies) or green soups. They will help regulate your sugar and help you focus more.

Date: June 16, 2009 12:41PM

I hear a lot of people experience this as well when they are eating fruit with undigested fat in their body (for example, the nuts and salmon you eat).

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 16, 2009 01:51PM

Herbalgerbals wound up with electrolyte imbalances, i.e. low sodium, which causes lightheadedness (herbal was near coma and hospitalized after juicing and prolonged water fasting). Fresh fruits and veggies are very low in sodium with very few exceptions. Even a pinch of sea salt may not make up for the drastic reduction in sodium going from standard vegan diets to raw foods. It takes time (weeks or more) for the body to adapt to very low sodium levels for those who opt to cut down on salt or even cut it out entirely, and it depends on ones "constitution".

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: June 16, 2009 02:43PM

Loeve, you got a good point there. I felt really bad when healing from Crohns with fruits etc and found out that celeryjuice made my mineralbalance better. From my salty diet to an almost nonsalty diet, celery made a good transition. Try it and see if Its the same for you.

Date: June 16, 2009 04:14PM

i assume the salmon has plenty of sodium in it.

Date: June 16, 2009 04:42PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear a lot of people experience this as well
> when they are eating fruit with undigested fat in
> their body (for example, the nuts and salmon you
> eat).

humm ok. Why would the nuts have an effect. I understnad if salmon has undigestable fat that could be an issue

Date: June 16, 2009 04:44PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i assume the salmon has plenty of sodium in it.

Im sorry about the salmon

Date: June 16, 2009 04:53PM

Because your body produces different types of enzymes to digest different types of food, number 1, and this is different for fruit and nuts, so they won't combine well. It's my understanding that the fat will stay in the bloodstream for 24 hours, which means that your body is producing extra insulin for 24 hours if you ate fruit with your fat, because the sugar is binding to the fat, undigested, causing lack of energy and digestive issues.

Date: June 16, 2009 05:18PM

Ok that makes sense. Fruit doesn’t combine with nuts but could combine with salad. Im trying to eat a small amount of nuts. I heard sunflower seeds are good though and helps inflammation.

And I really am sorry about the salmon. Really.

Posted by: texasmelgal ()
Date: June 16, 2009 05:34PM

why are u apologizing for the salmon? From what I can see u are transitioning and learning.

Date: June 16, 2009 05:43PM

I think she just means because it was mentioned and this is a vegan forum. But trust me, Kitty, your references are not offensive (so far). We have some people who want to argue and argue, maybe go into detail about how an animal was killed, and we can tell that you're not doing that. smiling smiley I appreciate it, for one!

Yeah, I think your nuts are better at the end of the day if you can. Fruit all day, maybe some greens, and then dinner a few nuts (if they sound good) or seeds. That will at least give maybe 8-12 hours for them to digest before your next fruit meal. Maybe most of it will be out of your bloodstream by then. Not sure - probably depends on timing, amount, what you had earlier, how your digestion is working.

Date: June 16, 2009 06:34PM

Really alot better. I feel different. Sometimes I feel like im 20 again, and sometimes not. Im trying to take life slowly. and not rush it. If my bowel does heal it will take time.

Im not having urgencies, Im not worring about going out of the house at the moment. I can tell that my colon does not abosorb all the water from the stool but I sill have a stool which in UC is a good sign. I go once to twice a day, sometimes it is uncomfotable and sometimes not.

I know for some people this will not work and for others it will , like Paul he had both UC and CD and it worked, that is amazing.

I also have asthma and my allergies with hay fever are now non-exsistent, so thats working.

I am terrified of this disease, it really can take your life away. Its so hard to tell family about this and what I could be facing

Date: June 16, 2009 06:49PM

..good.. if it makes you feel any better about the salmon..

"...This food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Selenium."

[www.nutritiondata.com]

..so it sounds mostly in your favor at this time, except sodium has to come from somewhere (i.e. Healthybun's celery suggestion). Paul Nison uses salt in his recipes.. sodium chloride also of course has chloride which is another essential nutrient for digestion often forgotten because practically everyone gets enough in processed foods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 06:57PM by loeve.

Date: June 16, 2009 08:24PM

I was looking up salmon and it had sodium even without sodium added. Nutritiondata.com highlights supposed "positives" of foods simply by comparing it to other foods (those other foods being not ideal)....so you have something bad for you and you have something not AS BAD, but that doesn't make it good.

Date: June 16, 2009 08:45PM

..the "positives" are relative to recommendations of the (US) FDA.. by clicking on "?what is this" it gives the meaning..

"Nutrition Data also indicates whether a food is particularly high or low in various nutrients, according to the dietary recommendations of the FDA."

..so in this case a serving (198g) of Atlantic Salmon has 87mg of sodium, which is 4% of the US Daily Value (2,300mg is the maximum sodium recommended/day).

..but I believe Hellokitty is a UK citizen so the more meaningful UK "Reference Intake" of 1600mg (the amount to satisfy the sodium needs of most people) would hardly begin to be met without an outside source of sodium.

Date: June 16, 2009 09:05PM

I'm fine with just a stalk of celery or some spinach per day.

Date: June 16, 2009 09:41PM

I think the celery is a good idea. What I plan to do is get my blood tested by my GP before I go vegan. Then I can see where I am. The only reason why I haven’t given it up is because it gives me energy and mental clarity. Why I don’t know. I only ate fish once a week really, when I saw the dietician she said in the letter I ate it 4-5 times, but I only ate it once a week. She said I would become very malnourished if I don’t add it daily.

I did do as she said and added it in daily. Surprisingly I felt better, not so fragile. So when I try replacing it this time I want to make sure I do my diet correctly.

I think my main problem was blending too many salads. I think that I am doing better with the fruit till afternoon time.

Date: June 16, 2009 09:50PM

Does it make sense to you that a human being would have a need (nutritional) to eat fish? Can you catch one yourself? Are you near water where you can try?

I don't think fish needs replacing in the least; I don't think it should be in the diet to begin with unless there's nothing else available (and that's highly unlikely because the fish would be eating algae, and eating fish instead of the algae is like filtering water through a sewer and then drinking it).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 16, 2009 11:00PM

Hellokitty,

I think it's a very good idea to have the GP test you so that you know exactly where you stand deficiency-wise. That way, you can tailor a good regimen for yourself that will address "deficits" before you move on to "adding health" with mostly or all raw foods.

Date: June 16, 2009 11:03PM

I was walking around the house thinking to myself "dumbatician" instead of "dietician." Not to be mean, but seriously, these people just spout off different foods with no knowledge of nutrition or what the person is supposedly difficient in!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 16, 2009 11:30PM

i dont even know why she would advise you to eat fish daily , even under a SAD diet its not recommended to eat fish daily

i agree get your blood tests done now see where you are at , see what you need to work on and take the paperwork to her or preferabbly someone else that is more in tune with your progam smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 17, 2009 08:17AM

Thanks guys. My only reason for not jumping in to veganism is because last time i failed, and my body didn't feel strong. So far this has not happened with my new breakfasts and dinners. I really feel like things will work.

I agree with you guys about fish and that this is not ideal. I know Jesus ate fish but back then the waters were not polluted as they are now. Fish can have mercury in them and this was due to polluted water. We dump sewer water into the seas. When Jesus was preaching this didn’t happen. Humans have polluted the planet. I plan to get strength back, if I can. Then get a job close to where I live so I can ride a bike. I just bought a flat in a small town near the sea cost. I plan to grow my own vegetables so everything I eat will be organic. My Aunt and Family did this in World War 2., They manly survived on vegetables from their garden. And she is 77 and is like a 20 year old.Way more energy than I have. Her neigbor is 98 and is still walks around the shops. My Grandfather lived to nealy 100.

In the UK 1 in 600 people suffer from IBD and in America 1 in 300 suffer. It is double in the US. I started wondering if this was because of the War. Several English survived on the land and grew their own veg. Supermarkets were around but people ate more locally. Fast food chains were not introduced during this time. A lot of the people lived on the land themselves and did hunt and grow. They were also rationed. America to my knowledge didn’t have this. I wondered if the war had an impact on this and now we will se an increase of IBD in the UK. I really bet so.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 17, 2009 09:00AM

wow very cool about your flat im sure you will get to experience lots of amazing things being close to the coast and growing your own goods smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:10PM

Hellokitty,

That's wonderful story about your family. A Victory Garden--how great! I have a friend who's planning one, and I am too, because we figure, hey, in this era it's our nation that's always at war, so we may as well rely on ourselves.

Americans(and Continentals)have this idea that English food was always awful, but I think I heard Jamie Oliver say once that it only got awful when there were wars and rationing, and only in the cities, because out in the countryside, people grew their own produce and had more well-rounded diets. Like your auntie. Interesting! Ironically, now it's our American food that's crap, much worse than any food the British ate decades ago. But you never hear it talked about derisively. And it should be: American food is an "insult" to the stomach.

Living by the seaside should be very helpful to you in your lifestyle journey. Depending on where you are, the seawater can be very healing.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:23PM

I think it shows how amazing our bodys are that some people feed their bodys a diet of junk and don't get sick sooner.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables