Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flax seeds
Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: December 04, 2008 02:30AM

Hi. Does anyone know if you get a healthy enough amount of Omega-3's from just 1 tablespoon of ground flax from the coffee grinder? Any benefits from increasing the amount?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flax seeds
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 04, 2008 02:50AM

Depends on a lot:

how big/tall you are
how active you are
the quantities of other fats, especially 18:n2 and saturated/trans you are eating
how many greens and how much of certain fruits you are eating
how many walnuts you are eating

I think 1 tbsp is enough for me, small female. In any case I have a 1 tbsp per meal limit, Ill spare you the details.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:36AM

I can't eat them at all.!!

Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: December 05, 2008 12:55AM

flipperjan: Is the reason you can't eat them at all due to loose stools/ problems with digestion?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 05, 2008 04:31AM

I heard you have to grind it cause we dont digest the seeds they come out as is

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 05, 2008 05:17AM

I'm not sure how much omega 3 is in a tablespoon of ground flax seed.. My guess is about 4 grams or so. In that case you can certainly go with two a day if you would like. Or add some oil along with it.

You can always tell if you are getting enough omega 3s by how soft your skin is. If you have dry skin, you need to oil yourself up from the inside out!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 05, 2008 08:11AM

JohnVattik - they make me bloat to alarming proportions and it is extremely painful. To a certain extent all seeds do it and nuts - so I eat them in very sparing amounts. I can always tell the difference if I have added a few pumkin seeds to my salad. sprouted seeds and pulses are impossible for me too.

Before I was raw I found the same problem with lentils, pulses, porridge(oats), yeast in suspension i.e home brew.

so yes I tend to avoid things that give me this reaction

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 05, 2008 08:46AM

I find that flax seeds dehydrate me. If I eat any flax within 2 or 3 hours of going to bed I wake up with a dry mouth. Does this happen to anyone else ?

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 05, 2008 11:50AM

nuts would be hard to digest depending on what your diet already is and how restrictive it is - it's not the flax seeds themselves (if ground) that will give trouble to everyone.

1/2 a tablespoon is 1 gram of omega-3 fatty acids
there's no set RDA only an AI (adequate intake) between 1.6 and 1.1 grams a day per adult man/woman ..depending on your age and other things.

flax oil can be used to lower triglycerides in higher grams
and it DOES need to be ground up in order for the body to absorb it, so make sure to grind it smiling smiley

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:00PM

1 Heaping tablespoon of ground Flaxseed will provide ALL the essential fats...easily.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:23AM

I soak overnight and blend for cream with water. Yummy in soups. The leftovers I blend with fruit and make crackers 24 hours only

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables