Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food Ideas for No Fruit Raw
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: July 17, 2009 01:36AM

Hey,
My diabetes numbers are still not going down (after 4 months), so I'm going toward Gabriel Cousens diabetes work in eating no fruit for 3 weeks. 80% or so veggies and 20% or so nuts & seeds.

It seems harder to come up with palatable simple veggies dishes. I'm also getting constipated on this where I wasn't constipated when eating fruit.

I think the Cushing's Syndrome may be getting in the way of me trying to lower my blood sugar. Cushing's causes high blood sugar regardless of diet, so I need to try to keep it as low as possible.

It's getting frustrating. Any ideasbesides plain salad? I won't take lots of time or money for gourmet stuff.

I'm trying to stay "up" this should not be so damned frustrating. It should be easy. It's no fun to spend all my free time searching for recipes.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Ideas for No Fruit Raw
Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: July 17, 2009 01:54AM

raw veggies and nut/seed dips

i'm too lazy to even make salads anymore!
Guacamole
Sunflower seed and onion dip (seed, lemon salt green onion)
Raw nacho cheese w. nutritional yeast
Tahini Ginger or Carrot Ginger
etc.

I just use my tribest personal blender. It's more powerful than the magic bullet and creams nuts and seed beautifully

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 17, 2009 06:18AM

just an idea you might not like ... maybe you could do a green smoothie only for a few weeks or a month .. they were in my opinion very easy to digest cuz the blenders broken them up and maybe you wont be so constipated trying them

i did a month long green smoothie experiment and the first 5-6 days were a bit of a hurdle but after that the days melted away and before i knew it i hit 30 days smiling smiley

just an idea smiling smiley

also with constipation i was always under the impression that hydration is very important ..so im wondering if maybe you are not getting enough hydration because youve cut back on the juicy fruits? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 17, 2009 06:44AM

If you are not getting your calories from fresh fruits, then on raw foods your majority of calories are coming from fat. So rather than get all your calories from fat, you might be better off eating some cooked foods, say steamed vegetables and steamed starches, like sweet potatoes or yams or winter squash. This way you can keep your diet low fat.

To have a healthy cooked diet, just keep the foods to whole foods, low fat, and don't use condiments.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:37AM

I love soups. Raw spinach soup is a favorite. Also tomato soup.

Date: July 17, 2009 11:16AM

Hi Byran,
I can try to eat some cooked, but it ususally causes me problems with my gut paralysis. I tried Dr. McDougall's plan before and was so sick. I'm not too worried about low calories for a short period of time at this point. I'll be able to add stone fruits and berries soon.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: July 17, 2009 11:17AM

What do you put in your green smoothie? I've never had an all veggie one before. I've had veggie juice. Carrot, romaine & spinach (yum).

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just an idea you might not like ... maybe you
> could do a green smoothie only for a few weeks or
> a month .. they were in my opinion very easy to
> digest cuz the blenders broken them up and maybe
> you wont be so constipated trying them
>
> i did a month long green smoothie experiment and
> the first 5-6 days were a bit of a hurdle but
> after that the days melted away and before i knew
> it i hit 30 days smiling smiley
>
> just an idea smiling smiley
>
> also with constipation i was always under the
> impression that hydration is very important ..so
> im wondering if maybe you are not getting enough
> hydration because youve cut back on the juicy
> fruits? smiling smiley

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 17, 2009 05:16PM

*screeeeeeeeeeeeech* back up back up lol

do you know why yet why you have cushings syndrome/disease ?

hmmm hte green smoothies evolved over the month, i used (rotated) dark lettuces, kale, spinach etc. and then added whatever was handy to taste .. (taste often till you find the flavor you like smiling smiley .. anything id put in a salad id toss in there ... some fruit made it in like a plum or an apple for taste but the bulk was vegetablessmiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 17, 2009 06:28PM

Id be careful with adding carrot juice to the smoothie if youre diabetic. When carrots are juice theyre really high in sugar...

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:31PM

Wendysmiling,

Are you able to eat cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes? Botanically, those are fruits but they're often classified as vegetables because of their low sugar content (according to experiencelifemag.com). Here's some info on cucumbers:

[www.foodscout.org]

Cucumbers are great chopped up, mixed with avocado and a little lemon or lime juice, sprinkled with paprika (my absolute favorite breakfast). I've also sometimes added smushed eggplant, chopped tomato, and garlic.

Cucumbers blend very well with anything, so I imagine they'd make a juicy nonsweet green smoothie.

Then there are those raw zucchini spaghetti dishes (never made one, but keep reading how great they are).

IMO tomatoes are great eaten alone, out of hand.

As an alternative to salads, you might try nori rolls. Good nori is essential (bad nori is horrible). I like Bright Earth Foods raw nori sheets. Put greens, shredded green cabbage, avocado, cilantro and sprouts onto the near edge of the nori, add minced garlic and/or shredded ginger and/or turmeric, sprinkle somewhat generously with lemon juice, rub the lemon along the far nori end to wet it, then roll up and eat (carefully, so it doesn't fall apart). The nori is chewy, but delicious.

Here's a chart on sugar content in fruits, in case you don't have one:

[hbd.org]

Posted by: cy ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:54PM

I'm doing a no fruit week too,and also no raw sweet too,no cacao...
I'm doing well and it is weird because I LOVE fruits,but it isn't affecting me.
I made hummus (soaked garbanzo beans,water,salt,cummin,pepper,olive oil,dulse,and any other herb like rosemary,dill...I do not use tahine because it is too rich for my taste.Blend it .
- I made an amazing flax cracker (soaked flax,salt,pepper,dulse,cumin and water in a blender and than dehydrate it.just delicious).
-Veggie juices with lemon juice
- energy soup (a lot of veggies,dulse,sunflower seeds,salt,water and herbs
-an enema at the end of the week

Posted by: cy ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:04PM

I just had a green smoothie (many kinds of greens,banana and orange) after one week without fruit,and I got a little dizzy. I think that from now on I'll do 90% greens,
10% fruits and nuts on my diet.

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: July 20, 2009 03:51PM

A lecture from a qualified nutritionist who is also a raw food eater, Dr. Tel Oren, suggest to add healthy fats (like seeds and nuts, even coconut oil), to fruit salads and smoothies, to stimulate chewing and to slow down the sugar absorption into the blood stream. I know a lot of people are anti healthy fat, I am still not clear why, as a short term measure this may work for you.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 20, 2009 10:48PM

OkunDeji,

Dr. Oren's advice is odd, considering even the ADA agrees that fat + sugar(from whatever source) wreaks havoc on insulin levels for this very reason--fat slows down metabolization of sugars. You want that fructose to be processed as quickly as possible so it isn't artificially creating a prolonged insulin elevation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables