Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you eat seeds with?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: August 01, 2009 08:43AM

I'm following a low-fat, high-fruit diet and was wondering what I should eat seeds with (when I do eat them). I like flax and chia seeds right now. Could I add them to water and drink it at the end of the day?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you eat seeds with?
Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: August 01, 2009 09:43AM

I have been on a Chia seed kick lately. I plump them in water in a mason jar in the fridge and put them in my smoothies. I just had some in my fresh squeezed orange juice talk about yummy..

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 01, 2009 01:58PM

Hmmm.
I usually only eat seeds alone,or with green leafy salads.
Never with fruits though.

Vinny

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 01, 2009 02:46PM

I rarely eat any seeds EXCEPT I eat many of the seeds that come in the raw foods that I eat. These seeds I eat at the same time I eat the fruit they are naturally packaged in.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 01, 2009 07:31PM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rarely eat any seeds EXCEPT I eat many of the
> seeds that come in the raw foods that I eat. These
> seeds I eat at the same time I eat the fruit they
> are naturally packaged in.

I liked that! smiling smiley

Rufio, are you talking about mixing whole seeds in water and then drinking them down in their whole form? I think there are more healthful ways to eat seeds, including chewing them.

I usually eat a small amount of seeds or nuts everyday. One of my favorites is whole brown sesame seeds. I eat 1/4 cup by themselves. They take a long time to chew, but I love the burst of sesame oil flavor with every bite. I eat sunflower seeds the same way.

I have enjoyed combining sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, soaking them for several hours in water, and then adding a spoonful of unsoaked flax seeds.

I don't blend seeds, because it seems important for my stomach to get the saliva working during the chewing process; but others may enjoy making blended banana and seed "puddings", adding seeds to smoothies, or blending seeds for pates and dressings.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 04, 2009 07:19PM

rufio Wrote:
> I'm following a low-fat, high-fruit diet and was
> wondering what I should eat seeds with (when I do
> eat them). I like flax and chia seeds right now.
> Could I add them to water and drink it at the end
> of the day?

good choices, both. Flax seeds need to be ground to get the Omega 3s and absorb oils, Chia's don't. Flax seeds are cheap, Chia's more expensive unless you buy in ethnic markets. Hemp seeds are a great 3fer. Hulled. Manitoba Harvest is a great vendor. Can get them locally from Whole Paycheck... er Whole Foods. Adding a vegan DHA (long chain Omega 3) source from algae is optional. An alternative is to limit your Omega 6s and keep the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio 4 to 1 or less not greater than 1 to 2. Omega 6 oils compete with Omega 3 oils for limited sites in the human body in the production of eicosanoids and prostaglandins and have offsetting and opposite effects. Opening chapters of Andrew Weil's eating well for optimum health covers a short primer on human nutritition. Short version, we need both Omega 3 and 6s in balance. Omega 6s are much more ubiquitous than Omega 3s. Vegan omega 3s are most prevalent in flax seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts and a green called purslane. These are almost exclusively "short chain" Omega 3's ..i.e. alpha linolenic acid or ALA that can be converted within the human body to long chain fatty acids such as EPA or DHA (covered in more detail in "Becoming Vegan"winking smiley. Short version, Fuhrman recommends 1 tablespoon of flax seeds per day with an optional algae source of DHA or testing. That's it. Hope it helps.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: August 04, 2009 07:32PM

Hey pborst, here is what I averaged over a week using CRON-O-Meter.

4.1g/day Omega-6
2.6g/day Omega-3

Is this amount/ratio good?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 04, 2009 07:44PM

rufio Wrote:
> Hey pborst, here is what I averaged over a week
> using CRON-O-Meter.
>
> 4.1g/day Omega-6
> 2.6g/day Omega-3
>
> Is this amount/ratio good?

absolutely, it's outstanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables