Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Let's all share our favourite foods/what we eat a lot of. smiling smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:08AM

What sort of foods do you eat a lot of? Do you think you can find out a little bit about person's personality by what type of foods they eat? =)

Here's a list of what I'm currently eating, more or less in order (from most to least) of what I currently eat. I'm excluding peanuts as I'm trying to come off them, some day I hope to allow myself some peanuts again as they I think they're not a bad food... but only in a controlled way. If anyone wants to suggest anything to me, I would love you to (I have no idea what wheatgrass is for example, I don't think they sell it here).

* Apples. Apples are like my bread. =) I eat them all year 'round. They're a staple food for me. They're cheap, often organic, and there are so many different types and flavours of them.

* Plums. I can't get enough of these at certain times of the year. When you can get these ripe they are possibly my favourite food of all.

* Grapes. Delicious, one of my favourite foods. I love them. They're normally not third on my list but they're in season now and quite cheap now.

* Blueberries. There's been lot of hype about this fruit, but I'm suspicious that it's just the same things they'd find about most fruits, and it's just a con specifying this expensive one. Oh well, it's absolutely delicious anyway. I buy 300g to last one or two days now that it's in season.

* Leafy salad (including things like spinach). Delicious. Low calories so you're getting more bang for your energy buck (like blueberries). I don't have a salad every day... maybe every 2 to 3 days.

* Coffee. Ah yes, the wonderful smell and taste of freshly bre.... ugh... sorry!!!!... moving on... (I also take green tea, lately I've been wondering if I should put the green tea in cold water... at least it wouldn't be warmer than the natural stomach temperature then). I also take a spoon of cocoa powder every day. Also coffee is something from the earth... it contains compounds that aren't in other things we eat and is implicated in being anti-depression and anti-parkinsons. I've thought of getting raw coffee beans but I'm not sure where I could get them and to be honest not really looking forward to it.

* Grapefruit. I LOVE grapefruits, possibly my second favourite food. I love the white (actually bright yellow) ones the most. I eat about three/four every two days all year round. I can't keep away from the, even though my dentist warned me a lot not to eat them. I honestly do think it's more the bacteria/plaque that gets teeth as that would make more sense... see next point.

* Sensodyne toothpaste and antiseptic mouthwash. Well, one of my teeth is already gone after a few months of not washing and being a practical fruitarian a few years ago. sad smiley I know these are bad for me, but they could be the lesser of two evils.

* Canary melon. Delicious, although I've kept away from them for about two weeks because of a bad experience I had with one of them after leaving it for just two days. The ones in-store are starting to look better again though. For some reason I HATE watermelon... sorry to the people who love it!!! Maybe I can get used to it some day.

* Muesli, dried fruit, peanuts. NOT RECOMMENDING!! They just are here on the list because I eat them sometimes... (you might say they should be higher up but I'm trying). But I think perhaps I will take the first two if I get sharp cravings, especially when I'm out and about such as working late, and there's a risk of getting processed food and making an excuse it was due to stress or something. I have had positive experiences with them in this regard, especially the dried fruit. Also, I hate to play devil's advocate, but who knows... maybe we did evolve a little for the grains in muesli and in muesli they're raw. I'll keep dried fruit on hand but not the muesli for now.

* Bananas. I do like a good few bananas, but I'm not that into having them a lot. Firstly they provide a lot of calories with only a little nutrition. Secondly, I've heard anecdotally that people who grow bananas are so wary of them that they won't even eat their own crop. They keep a special section of the field without pesticides etc. for their own self and village nearby and the rest... pesticides etc.

* Sweetcorn. I do believe that sweetcorn I ate the other day really was raw which makes me very happy. smiling smiley I have high hopes for this delicious food... although "breeding"... hmmm that doesn't sound so great to me. I'll have to look into it.

* Misc. berries, fruit. I bought blackberries today and they were delicious. My only problem is that you only get THAT amount of blackberries for paying that much!!! I could literally pick the same amount in less than a minute!!! How unfair that seems.

* Organic broccoli. I used to buy this nearly every time it was available before, but hardly ever now. I just don't feel like it anymore.

* Supplements. I take multivitamin, calcium, vitamin d2, vitamin c, essential oils from flaxseed etc. vitamin a (irregularly though), green tea extract, siberian ginseng. I would say the multivitamin and calcium&vitamin d are by far the most important there for raw foodists as I think nasty things could happen without them. The other things are more "let's throw them in and they might do something good".

Foods I used to eat but not so much anymore:

* Garlic - I used to take garlic, however considering I doubt I would eat it primordially... I don't really see why I should eat it now. Carrots - I used to eat loads of carrots as I thought them tasty, very cheap and low calorie for a lot of eating and ample nutrients. However for me they're just TOO low calorie for so much effort and not as tasty as fruits. Then you have to scrape all the outside of it and be sure to do a very good job if they're not organic. Pass... Tomatoes - I don't eat them much anymore, I don't know why. Partly to do with their acid and my teeth.

The list sounds like I'm doing well, but to be honest it's only been since about May that since I came off all the old foods for about the fifth time and I still had ***WARNING... VULGAR WORDS AHEAD, MAY OFFEND*** chips&curry, yoghurts, flavoured peanuts, and things I dare not say on a vegan forum in between... I'm trying my best to keep of them though. An encouraging thing this time is that I have NEVER... oh no, now that I think of it I did once at my parents house, I did have cake. But it's not like when I used to do raw food before where I might have cake/biscuits every two weeks or so and still supposedly on it. To me it's as though those things don't exist... and neither should they. Sorry for the long post, hope it wasn't too boring.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 02:12AM by SuperInfinity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let's all share our favourite foods/what we eat a lot of. smiling smiley
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:12AM

Since I am not 100% raw,and miss my rice and bread and pasta like crazy,I eat alot of quinoa right now.It seems to be a perfect sub for all the mentioned items.
Plus cantalope.
My favorite melon.

Vinny

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:16AM

That's quite a list Super. My list only includes five,
which I have in every Green Smoothie (listed in order of preference)....

1) Mixed Baby Greens (and lots of them)
2) Tomato (ditto on the amount)
3) Sweet mini-Peppers
4) Carrot
5) Celery

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:21AM

maca root, an adaptogen recommended by Brendan Brazier, a vegan triathalon performer and author of the Thrive diet, 2 tsp,

2.5 ml chlorella

lemon juice 2 tbsp

2 cups kale juice

1.5 tbsp flax seeds

1 cup wild blue berries

1 tsp, reteuri, probiotic

5 ml pommegranate extract.

1 oz rice protein concentrate

1 piece quinoa/amaranth bread

that's breakfast

1 cup blackberries,

2 cups sprout salad (lentils, brocoli, alfalfa)

1 oz mixed nuts

hemp seeds 1 tbsp

1 apple.

lunch

2 cups anti-cancer soup

small seaweed salad (romaine, wakame, miso)

1 cup edameme (shelled)

1 cup cantalope.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:29AM

Bananas, berries, cherries, sweet fruit in season, citrus, romaine, spinach, kale, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers.

That's mostly my diet right now. I love grapes, too, but rarely buy them. I also like melon here and there but not every day. I love mangoes when they're ripe and especially champagne variety. I don't like by the Indi-Pakistani store where I used to get cases anymore. sad smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:38AM

Watermelon, nectarines, bananas, grapes, cherries, lemon cucumbers, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, tomatillos, ground cherries.

Bananas are my bread.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:48AM

Tomatillos - haven't had those in forever!

Date: August 08, 2009 02:53AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2.5 ml chlorella
Pborst.....I'd be interested to know where
you get the Chlorella? Brian Clement, of Hippocrates Inst.,
recommends it too.....WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 08, 2009 03:10AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> pborst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2.5 ml chlorella
> Pborst.....I'd be interested to know where
> you get the Chlorella? Brian Clement, of
> Hippocrates Inst.,
> recommends it too.....WY

There are probably many good sources. I buy mine from Sequel Naturals, the same place I buy my maca root. [sequelnaturals.com] Don't know if you've ever heard of Brendan Brazier, he's a vegan, mostly raw, athlete and author of The Thrive Diet. He'd recommended this source to me. May look at others, e.g. macaweb.com. Hope that helps.

Date: August 08, 2009 04:08AM

pborst Wrote:
> There are probably many good sources. I buy mine
> from Sequel Naturals
Thanks, I just ordered a bottle of the powder. I'll be
adding some to my Green Smoothies just to see if I 'feel' anything....WY

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 08, 2009 04:31AM

Hi, I've been eating raw for three weeks now and LOVE it!!!
1) My favorite fruit delight is blueberries (which are cheap and grown locally here in New Zealand) and a soft frozen banana blended to make a smoothie/sorbet.
2) I also enjoy fresh fruit slaw (e.g., apple, orange, pear, and green leaves) chopped fine in a food processor.
3) I can't wait to eat a "gazpacho-like" salad of chopped ingredients: green leaves, tomato, celery, cucumber, carrot, 2 avocado slices, lemon squeeze, garlic, cilantro, (and a dash of vinegar and soy sauce, although they may not qualify as raw?)
4) Tamarillos

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 08, 2009 06:16AM

I don't get to eat all this stuff all the time, but these are my favorites:

-strawberry papaya
-apple bananas
-mangos
-white sugarloaf pineapple
-mamey sapote
-white sapote
-lychee
-jackfruit
-lots of oranges (ka'u gold in season)
-lots of tangerines (in season)
-rambutan (in season)
-cucumbers with lemon juice, or cucumbers with avocado and lemon juice
-nori rolls with red leaf lettuce, shredded green cabbage, minced garlic, ginger flower buds, cilantro, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, and lemon juice
-regular old salad with romaine lettuce and/or red lettuce, arugula, cauliflower buds, roma tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, alfalfa sprouts, and lemon juice
-handful or 1/4 cup of sesame seeds/sunflower seeds/raw jungle peanuts/macadamia nuts/walnuts
-an occasional half avo by itself
-lovely pink hibiscus flowers
-spoon meat coconut (a very wonderful rare treat)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 06:22AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 08, 2009 06:41AM

apples
oranges - but im having a tough time up here in canada ever getting any good ones .. im seriously thinking i should hit up one of you floridians or cali's to send me up a box because the crap up here i cant even tell you how much money ive spent in the last year on bad oranges ! underripe or just plain nasty
plums !plums plums ! we have a yellow plum and purple plum trees smiling smiley
grapes purple and green again our own vines
cherries from our own trees
nectarines from our own trees
sunflower seeds from our own plants
blueberries from our farm
corn from our farm
potatoes (i juice em raw)
at least 6 kinds of lettuce lol tongue sticking out smiley from the garden and the indoor hydroponics
blackberries wild i just 31 pounds of them today smiling smiley
watermelon imported
hemp seeds imported
hazelnuts from our own trees
walnuts from our own trees
dandelion greens galone cuz i wont let the hubby spray the lawn tongue sticking out smiley
nettles galore same reason as above tongue sticking out smiley
almonds imported
flax seed imported
young coconuts all over my kitchen imported tongue sticking out smiley
pineapples imported
tomatoes home grown
wheatgrass home grown

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 08, 2009 10:14AM

geez
anything that i can get from the ground
i'm not pickysmiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2009 01:55PM

SuperInfinity,

Generally organic and preferably in season: melons(especially honeydew), stone fruit(especially apricots and Hungarian plums), berries(especially blueberries and mulberries), heirloom apples, figs, Muscat grapes, bananas, clementines, blood oranges, lemons, avocados, heirloom tomatoes, Syrian cucumbers, beet greens, romaine lettuce, lacinato kale, walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, jungle peanuts, broccoli sprouts and onion sprouts.

Don't stress so much; you seem to know what you are doing : )

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:23PM

juiced cantaloupe
grapes/bananas/peaches/strawberries/kiwifruit compote
orange/mango/banana/strawberry smoothie
salad greens/avocado/tomato/corn

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 08, 2009 06:21PM

I eat so many bananas - is there a problem with pesticides etc?

Date: August 08, 2009 06:44PM

flipperjan Wrote:
> I eat so many bananas - is there a problem with
> pesticides etc?

flipperjan, I don't think you need to go changing your habits just based on what I said. I would look into it however... and try to get organic when possible.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2009 07:11PM

flipperjan,

I'd get organic bananas if I were you, or at least be careful how you handle the peel and maybe wash it really well before peeling the banana. Many years ago, my brother grabbed a banana on his way out the door one evening and peeled it with his teeth while driving home to his place an hour away. Within a few minutes of peeling the banana, he started to go into anaphylactic shock and ended up in his local hospital on an IV. To this day, we don't know if it was the banana(he'd never had a problem with them before) or a pesticide from the outside that came in contact with his mouth when his teeth grasped the peel.

Date: August 10, 2009 12:17AM

I absolutely LOVE bananas. I eat up to 5 daily. I also love apples for the variety of flavors and the fact that they're a great on-the-go snack. I love my morning green smoothies with lots of greens, a banana, and some berry or cherry or whatever.
I also love mushrooms with raw guacamole. Now THAT'S good stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables