Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question on diabetes
Posted by: streambeam ()
Date: December 11, 2008 08:18PM

hi all, i just started what i want to call my new way of life-raw foods. i'm two weeks into it and just about 60% raw i think.... I'm still transitioning, dealing with cravings and all that comes along with being raw. I have a question about diabetes, but here's some background on my situation so you can better understand my problem. i'm a 38 year old dude weighing in at a whopping 454lbs, diabetic, HB pressure and quite sick. In the past two weeks i've lost about 15lbs and still dropping. But my sugar levels are thru the roof, maxing out at 304 and I dont know why. Any advice or suggestions will be very much appreciated. I'll list a sample of my daily diet for review. Thanxs in advance for any help. streambeam.

Brkfst:
1 pear
1 apple
1cup broccoli
1cup cauliflower
1liter bottled water

Lunch:
1 salad with lettuce broccoli,cauliflower,spinach,cucumber,bell pepper,carrots,mushrooms.

Dinner:
same as lunch

Non-raw:
vegetarian plain white corn chips
mixed nuts off the shelf non-raw

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on diabetes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2008 11:22PM

streambeam
Welcome!
I think if you are eating the diet that you listed there,your health issues will definitely improve.
Most of them are low glycemic foods,with the exception of the corn chips,which will help to keep the blood sugar down.Apples and carrots are moderate glycemic foods,so I would eat them in moderation.
Keep at it and I think you will continue to get well!
Brian

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 11, 2008 11:58PM

hiya Steambeam ! Bryan the moderator posted some great links awhile back about healing diabetes with raw foods smiling smiley

check out this link smiling smiley [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 12, 2008 02:49PM

calories calories calories

get enough of them for your size smiling smiley

Posted by: streambeam ()
Date: December 12, 2008 08:37PM

Thanxs for the replies. I guess i just have to give it more time. thanxs again.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 12, 2008 10:21PM

I feel wildly uncomfortable giving any advice in a case such as yours, I would strongly defer to your doctor. If he or she suggests meds/insulin to get it under control first, do that because your readings/weight is really in the very dangerous range.

Aside from that, if you are measuring 2 hrs after a meal, that will give you the highest reading, if you measure upon rising after an 8-12 hour fast, that will give you the lowest reading. It may be that your fasting levels are more reasonable.

But definitely, raw is better than cooked for a diabetic. The damaged kidney of the diabetic is less able to clear glycotoxins from the bloodstream than the healthy kidney, thus they accumulate in the tissues to a much greater extent in the diabetic than the non-diabetic.

Maybe you could increase veggies while decreasing fruits, nuts, and seeds, and eliminate the cooked stuff. Tortilla chips are generally fried, which means lots and lots of glycotoxins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 10:28PM by arugula.

Date: December 12, 2008 10:42PM

Also, forgot to add, skip the cooked tortilla chips and nuts, cooked fats, especially roasted (nuts) or fried (chips) are very high in glycotoxins.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 12, 2008 11:57PM

streambeam,

You seem to have the right idea. Good advice from the others. I would recommend that you visit Phil McCluskey's site or check out his vids on YouTube; he was in a similar boat to yours and made tremendous gains on raw. Happy journey to you!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 13, 2008 01:39AM

The fried corn chips are also going to have acrylamides in them, which won't be helping your health.

Its definitely worthwhile to put your daily menu into a nutritional calculator (I give some references in this post to see what your fat intake is as a percentage of your calorie intake. The lower the fat intake (20% is good, under 10% is great) the quicker your body will heal from insulin related problems.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 14, 2008 03:31AM

[www.google.com]

"There is a Cure for Diabetes" (the book that has a movie based on it) is readable online if you don't already have the book.

Date: December 14, 2008 04:22AM

Thank you for the link Lillianswan. I skimmed the first 120 pages or so. Just as it started to get REALLY interesting the free preview ended.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: December 14, 2008 06:31AM

Yes, but I've been able to coax other pages out of books on Google books with limited preview by doing things like clearing catches and histories, waiting awhile, sometimes a day (I forget the actual technique I used) and then going back to the book as though I was a first-time user and then when the book reloads, quickly go to the page I left off reading at before the other pages above it load and fill up my veiwing limit. Some pages are always off limits though in some books.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables