Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw inshell brazil nuts (not chemically treated or heated)
Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: December 13, 2008 03:20AM

hello everyone!
i have been following this raw foods forum with interest for quite a while now.
this is my first post here and i start with an urgent question...smiling smiley
i am a raw fruitarian and consider complementing my diet with raw inshell brazil nuts which are not chemically treated or heated.
i found at last a web shop which offer these nuts and even ship them to europe...smiling smiley
so, i am now i a sort of a decision making situation.
do any of you have some good or bad experience with brazil nuts which are raw and inshell and not chemically treated or heated?
specially i am very interested to hear experiences from people who mainly live on sun ripe organic high water fruits and have good experience from fasting, both dry and on water. i understand that nuts in general are not easy to digest and require time and energy from the body.
my idea with eating brazil nuts is to complement these with fruits to maintain better balance, both of body and mind...winking smiley
i apply sequential eating one thing at a time with denser stuff in the end of my one and only meal which i have in the afternoon, so that i have both enough of necessary rest and later sleep, to let body have its digestion in peace....
i understand that brazil nuts contain high quality grade and biovailability nutrients which complement well nutrition from fruits...
then, i understand that there are still some inhibitors (anti nutrients) present even in the brazil nuts, however in a lesser degree compared to other raw none-fruit stuff.
so, here i am, trying to make up my mind, should i go for these nuts, or stay away...?
any constructive thoughts and experiences will be much appreciated.
with the best only,
winking smiley/justin1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 03:27AM by justin1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw inshell brazil nuts (not chemically treated or heated)
Posted by: andrew ()
Date: December 13, 2008 03:27AM

don't eat more than two nuts a day. you may develope selenium toxicity. brazil nuts are crazy high in selenium. it causes garlic breath, brittle nails and can make your hair fall out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2008 04:27AM

I ate over 1000 of the course of a few weeks once.

Date: December 13, 2008 07:01PM

no extremes please...smiling smiley
i thought eating of 3-6 brazil nuts per day, not necessarily every day...
i heard that fresh raw untreated brazil nuts are not addictive that you over eat them, when you got your dose body wants you feel no desire for eating more of them, but that is valid only UNTREATED RAW IN THE SHELL brazil nuts!
my thought is to eat these nuts in an 1:3 ratio to a whole fruits, for example i eat 1 apple and 3 brazil nuts, or 2 apples and 6 brazil nuts. in this way it should be a perfectly whole complemented diet which includes all the high quality grade nutrition needed, as well it will satisfy my taste sensation, which is important when keeping on a fruit diet only...
does it make any sense?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 13, 2008 11:31PM

I used to be fruitarian. I want to go back, I have little energy now.

I had a duriam last night omg pure heaven. I went out today and got Jakfruit, chocolate sapotes and guavas. I live in Miami.

To me Brazil nuts are an oily nut and I am careful with those. Sprout them maybe I would and blend so they are digestible.

My colon hydrotherapist says nuts come out undigested so its better to make seed/nut cheeses with them with rejuvelac so they are predigested.

Date: December 14, 2008 12:17AM

hi Suvine, what a radiating pics you have... i get the feeling of warmth and summer...winking smiley

i get what you mean...

well..., the presence of nutrient inhibitors (anti-nutrients) even if in a lesser degree in the brazil nut (which is actually a seed...), similarly as to more extensive inhibitors in all the green plants (vegetables) and their seeds, not to mention grains. legumes and beans - these just don't want to be eaten by us...smiling smiley

uneasy digestibility is a concern to me...
after being through experience of several deeper fasts, as well as enjoying of eating fruits only, once a day, i feel my body grows more and more towards being more sensitive to all stuff i put in there...

even eating a whole fruit makes me suffer because of all the fiber it contains...
i feel much lighter and more free (both in body and mind) when drinking juices from squeezed fresh raw sun ripe organic fruits high of water - lemons and grapefruits...
even drinking separate water makes me feel heavy and drained of energy...smiling smiley
water from fruits (/-juices) is all time best, being assimilated by body effortlessly in an instant..., if i don't over drink of course and if i drink only when real thirst/hunger is present...

Date: December 17, 2008 12:20AM

sad to get so little response here on a raw vegan foods board...?
folks, what are you eating really...?
huge amounts of plants (green vegetables)...? - do plants agree with you eating them...?...smiling smiley
i hope more start thinking and experimenting their way in to a fruitarian path of living...winking smiley
anyway, just as an update: i have now ordered raw untreated inshell brazil nuts from a nice online store...smiling smiley
i might write more about that when i get these nuts and try them out in combination to my fruitarian diet...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 17, 2008 12:57AM

Justin,

Hellooooo there! You seem to have a very specialized regimen. Not a lot of food combining, etc. To what do you attribute your seeming sensitivity? Do you feel you are OK on just fruits? Why brazil nuts, specifically? Selenium, by the way, is a necessary nutrient that is one of the most depleted soil minerals in North America. If you live in Europe, that may not be the case. But there is some evidence that selenium directly inhibits aberrant cell production, and while an excess can be harmful, a deficiency can predicate cancer. A few here and there should be fine. Brazil nuts are considered some of the least allergenic, so they may benefit you. Suvine's advice as to processing is good; soak and germinate them if you can, or at least soak them to help wash off some of the enzyme inhibitors. As to rawism in general, I like juicing leafy greens, including herbs and lettuces. They are satiating and mineralizing, and hydrating, of course. Getting juicy fruits ripe out-of-season is becoming a problem as winter sets in here in the Upper Midwest. Juicy fruits are coming into season in the southern hemisphere, of course. But getting under-ripe shipped ones--it's beginning to bother me. I hope you live in a warm climate, Justin, so that getting everything ripe does not also become an issue for you. Sorry this is prolix; I'll sign off now. Ta!

Date: December 17, 2008 01:54AM

Tamukha Wrote (*):

*Hellooooo there! You seem to have a very specialized regimen. Not a lot of food combining, etc.

---hi Tamukha! i have veeery simple diet really. now, after i stopped enervating myself with a pressure of eating vegetables... i drink/eat just fruit, one fruit at a time, denser stuff in the end of my one only meal in the afternoon. i don't feast on any liquids or foods in between my meals, except on the natural elements of nature - our a primary energy sources for life sustenance: air and sun, and prana...winking smiley

*To what do you attribute your seeming sensitivity? Do you feel you are OK on just fruits?

---the lesser you eat in amount and variety of conventional foods, the more sensitive you become, similarly as to when your all senses sharpens and become more sensitive to reintroducing of eating foods after a fast...

*Why brazil nuts, specifically? Selenium, by the way, is a necessary nutrient that is one of the most depleted soil minerals in North America. If you live in Europe, that may not be the case. But there is some evidence that selenium directly inhibits aberrant cell production, and while an excess can be harmful, a deficiency can predicate cancer. A few here and there should be fine.

---no, nothing about selenium or any other specific nutrient substance, just in general, i heard that brazil nuts have least of inhibitor contents, as well as their contain high quality grade and biovailability protein and some good fats, and taste well, to upgrade and complement nutrients present in the fruits i eat.

*Brazil nuts are considered some of the least allergenic, so they may benefit you. Suvine's advice as to processing is good; soak and germinate them if you can, or at least soak them to help wash off some of the enzyme inhibitors.

---yes, i heard that too, why i am so in to brazil nuts...smiling smiley i am not sure about soaking/sprouting yet, it is not 100% sure that inhibitors are taken away by it..., but i will try out and test on my body how i feel...

*As to rawism in general, I like juicing leafy greens, including herbs and lettuces. They are satiating and mineralizing, and hydrating, of course. Getting juicy fruits ripe out-of-season is becoming a problem as winter sets in here in the Upper Midwest. Juicy fruits are coming into season in the southern hemisphere, of course. But getting under-ripe shipped ones--it's beginning to bother me. I hope you live in a warm climate, Justin, so that getting everything ripe does not also become an issue for you. Sorry this is prolix; I'll sign off now. Ta!

---well, i live in a cold and dark sweden...smiling smiley the only thing i like with a global business economy, is its ability to supply me with tropical or other usual citrus fruits (including organic produce) around the year all over the world...winking smiley i love lemons and grapefruits as my daily water source, i adore papaya, and i eat some avocado too, besides other well known mostly high water contents fruits...

thanks for sharing of your thoughts,

are in the usa?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 17, 2008 02:55AM

I'm in Michigan. It's very like Sweden this time of year, though we get a bit more sun smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables