Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food labeled as "raw" that isn't really raw
Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: December 13, 2008 06:09AM

I recently found out that raw almonds aren't really raw. Neither are cashews. Are there other items that people think are raw but really aren't?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food labeled as "raw" that isn't really raw
Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 13, 2008 06:53AM

Agave comes to mind.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 13, 2008 07:06AM

Well you can order HAND SHELLED CASHEWS from glaserorganicfarms.com, they are big and soft!

Um what else..

?

Oh! Alot of seeds/nuts in supermarkets are heat dried over 118 degrees. Like the kind by the produce section prepackaged.

Raw Olives, I cannot see how they are raw, or Lara bars, they may be raw but not LIVING.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: December 13, 2008 03:35PM

Wild rice

Date: December 13, 2008 05:35PM

OMEGA GOOD ONE

Date: December 13, 2008 05:37PM

Maple syrup...honey bought in stores, anything bottled...packaged for more than a week...

sucanat..american almonds, spices..mangos from India. Papayas from hawaii..imported durian, imported thai coconuts.. all irradiated with electrons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 05:37PM by suvine.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 13, 2008 05:59PM

Is irradiated the same as cooked? I know it alters molecular structures, which is reason enough to avoid it. In which case, most out-of-season conventional greens are probably irradiated. Or will be soon. LivingNutz has truly raw almonds, btw. It's great how the FDA and the USDA are allowed to process stuff without notifying the public. Is this the case in the UK and elsewhere, I wonder?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: December 13, 2008 06:02PM

I think SOMETIMES items labeled as raw aren't raw, but, as in the case of cashews and almonds, sometimes it's true; sometimes it's not. There is no universal answer. Food differs by region/where obtained, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 14, 2008 06:27AM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maple syrup...honey bought in stores, anything
> bottled...packaged for more than a week...

Hi there Suvine. On what do you base your opinion that anything packaged for more than a week is "not raw"?

Cheers. smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2008 02:22AM

Well, if you get something sitting on shelves for a very long time, its not alive anymore. I consider something raw if there are enzymes..the life force.

With the exception of nuts..

Hope you have a nice day

Date: December 15, 2008 02:53AM

suvine Wrote:
> Well, if you get something sitting on shelves for
> a very long time, its not alive anymore.

Yeah, how do you come to that conclusion?

> I consider something raw if there are enzymes..the
> life force.

But how does sitting on a shelf (or in the fridge) deactivate enzymes). I made some saurkraut in 2007 that I just ate a few weeks ago & it tasted pretty lively. I've sure if you analyzed it it would be full of life.

> With the exception of nuts.
>
> Hope you have a nice day

It's been a better day that I imagined it might be, thanks. You too! smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 15, 2008 03:38AM

Leuconostoc, lactobacillus, and Pediococcus are not eukaryotes, though, which is probably what most people have in mind when they think of "living" things (the good, true (eu) nut (karyon) that has a nucleus, membrane-bound organelles, etc.).

Date: December 15, 2008 06:50AM

I wasn't talking about fermented foods.

But yeah I agree.

Date: December 15, 2008 04:30PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> But how does sitting on a shelf (or in the fridge)
> deactivate enzymes). I made some saurkraut in
> 2007 that I just ate a few weeks ago & it tasted
> pretty lively. I've sure if you analyzed it it
> would be full of life.

The cabbage is dead. The bacteria are alive.

Almonds: Truly Raw, Organic & Cheap!! and hand-shelled Cashews
Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: December 21, 2008 01:58PM

I now have sources for both truly raw, organic almonds and hand-shelled cashews. I just recently worked out a deal with a U.S. farm for the almonds to keep prices more reasonable and with free shipping directly from farm to you. They're shelled, whole, unpasteurized. Some are thinking of putting together group orders. For really large groups, 50 lb is even cheaper than the prices listed now. Anyhow, hope this helps. smiling smiley

[dimondhealth.com]

p.s. I can only sell in bulk to keep the prices low.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: December 21, 2008 06:17PM

suvine Wrote:
..mangos from India. Papayas from hawaii..imported durian, imported thai coconuts.. all irradiated with electrons

---what...? i heard about coconuts being radiated... but why are papayas and mangos irradiated....???

---i love eating papayas, and there are absolutely no organic papayas existent (in sweden), so i eat inorganic papayas..., now that you say they are treated with irradiation...., i am worried... why...?

---what really happens with a fruit nutrient properties when it is treated by irradiation...? is there a possibility that nutrients are transformed by radiation treatment in to anti-nutrients..., similarly to when a protein becomes dirty-protein at heating...

would be good to know, so i might need to reevaluate my choices from now on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 06:19PM by justin1.

Date: December 22, 2008 03:44AM

Omega Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> The cabbage is dead. The bacteria are alive.

How is the cabbage any "deader" than when it's sitting in your fridge or on your countertop.

At what point in a fruit or vegetable's lifespan does it go from "alive" to "dead".

The words "alive" and "dead" thrown around randomly is part of what gives rawfoodists a bad name.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 22, 2008 03:52AM

Well, the truth is that if you were to take some cells from a relatively fresh fruit or vegetable out of your fridge (something fresh enough for you to eat and not dehydrated or salted or anything like that) and look at them under a light microscope you would see some activity, there are still some metabolic processes taking place, and some cells will still be dividing. You could conceivably harvest a part of your food plant that has been in your fridge for days that could be used to make a new plant with cell culturing methods.

So technically, yes, your apples, oranges, pears, pomegranates, lettuces, and onions, etc. are still alive, if they are good enough to eat, and even as they start to rot there is still some life left in the better parts. But given enough time, these wind down and stop.

Also, it probably isn't so much that the food is still alive that makes it "better" for you, but that the vitamins and phytochemicals and fibers are more or less intact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 03:55AM by arugula.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 22, 2008 07:22AM

The thing about food being alive is that there's a good chance it hasn't rotted yet, and as we all know, rotting produces toxins that are not good to ingest.

In some sense, fermented cabbage has already begun the rotting process, that is, bacteria are eating nutrients in the cabbage.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: December 22, 2008 02:47PM

For some people it may be enough to eat raw, whether or not it is 'living'. Eating only raw and living foods may be difficult to someone new on the raw journey, although it does seem that the majority of individuals progress to this over time.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: December 23, 2008 03:18AM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> Omega Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----->
> > The cabbage is dead. The bacteria are alive.
>
> How is the cabbage any "deader" than when it's
> sitting in your fridge or on your countertop.

Let's use carrots as an example because it's simple.

Carrots (without tops) could be sitting in your fridge for a few weeks, and yet they can still sprout new greens at the top. Why? The carrot is alive, even though it was harvested weeks ago.

That carrot, if planted in the ground, would likely grow into a mature "carrot plant" with full green tops.

Now take that same carrot, and ferment it (whole) in a batch of sauerkraut for a few weeks. Will that same carrot, which has bacteria breaking it down, grow if planted? I (highly) doubt it.

That's the difference between dead and alive. If the carrot still has the life force in it, it will grow if planted. If the life force is gone, it will not grow.

> At what point in a fruit or vegetable's lifespan
> does it go from "alive" to "dead".

Good question. If you took a single large cabbage leaf and let it sit on your counter, I would say that when the leaf feels completely limp, it's dead. (I realize that that's not very scientific.)

If you put an entire cabbage, or any other vegetable, on your counter and let it sit, I'd say that when it's completely limp, it's probably dead.

At what EXACT moment does the vegetable goes from "alive" to "dead," I could not tell you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 03:32AM by Omega.

Date: December 23, 2008 08:54AM

Let's use carrots as an example because it's simple.

Carrots (without tops) could be sitting in your fridge for a few weeks, and yet they can still sprout new greens at the top. Why? The carrot is alive, even though it was harvested weeks ago.

That carrot, if planted in the ground, would likely grow into a mature "carrot plant" with full green tops.

Now take that same carrot, and ferment it (whole) in a batch of sauerkraut for a few weeks. Will that same carrot, which has bacteria breaking it down, grow if planted? I (highly) doubt it.

That's the difference between dead and alive. If the carrot still has the life force in it, it will grow if planted. If the life force is gone, it will not grow.
So the moment you chop up a carrot for your salad or take the seeds from you orange it's dead?

Good question. If you took a single large cabbage leaf and let it sit on your counter, I would say that when the leaf feels completely limp, it's dead. (I realize that that's not very scientific.)

If you put an entire cabbage, or any other vegetable, on your counter and let it sit, I'd say that when it's completely limp, it's probably dead.

At what EXACT moment does the vegetable goes from "alive" to "dead," I could not tell you.
By that definition sauerkraut is alive because it's not limp.

Date: December 29, 2008 07:48PM

I agree with OMEGA and BRYAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables