Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Less-acidic grains?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 01, 2009 04:41PM

I know that grains are acidic by nature. I'm wondering if some of the pseudo-grains (not true grass seeds) like millet, quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth are less acidic than other grains? I know the foregoing are lower in gluten. I'm just wondering if I can stay alkaline in part by cutting back on all grains and switching more to fruits and vegetables and also shift from more-acidic to less-acidic grains? I don't know if my question makes sense. Let me know if you would like me to try to re-phrase. Thanks.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Less-acidic grains?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2009 07:23PM

Quinoa has no gluten, nor does millet or rice. Don't know about acid-alkalyne but I feel fine when I eat these grains (even with organic bu**er), more energetic & less sluggish than when I was eating lots of nuts & not bloated like when I tried to eat 2000+ cals of fruit a day.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 01, 2009 11:01PM

Paul,

CB is right about those grains having a lesser metabolic load on account of their having no/little gluten. Buckwheat and spelt are considered slightly alkaline, especially if sprouted, as is millet. Sprouting grains generally raises their alkalinity, although charts differ. My advice would be to try more fruits for carbs than grains, but in any case, to eat them well away from one another to prevent bloat, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 11:06PM by Tamukha.

Date: December 01, 2009 11:17PM

Tamuka & CB,

Thanks. Am thinking of doing a personal experiment with and without grains (eating just fruits and vegetables and small amounts of seeds) and thought it might be nice to do a third experiment with just pseudograins. Try the ph test strips and see if I get a difference. Thanks.

Paul

Posted by: Raw Seeker ()
Date: December 02, 2009 01:09AM

Pborst, weren't you against eating much fruit? I thought you were a high veggie/ very low fruit rawie! You changin'?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 02, 2009 02:17AM

Buckwheat and spelt are considered slightly alkaline, especially if sprouted, as is millet. Sprouting grains generally raises their alkalinity, although charts differ.
Right, forgot about buckwheat, it's actually my favorite grain but hard to come by so I haven't had it in awhile. Spelt has gluten levels almost as high as wheat though, IIRC.

Date: December 02, 2009 02:18AM

I've never been opposed to eating much fruit. I've just favored lower sugar fruits such as melon, citrus and berries. Not so high on eating large quantities of high sugar fruits such as bananas, mangoes, grapes, etc. My question had more to do with the balance between sprouted grains vs. fruits and veggies than the balance between fruits and veggies. fwiw.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: December 29, 2009 05:39AM

Hi Paul -

were you thinking raw sprouted grains or cooked grains?

Date: December 29, 2009 05:57PM

sprouted. I don't eat cooked grains.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables