Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Celery juice and hair loss
Posted by: Omega ()
Date: December 20, 2008 08:58PM

Hi,

It's occurred to me that the slightly bitter elements in celery are probably toxic, and might contribute to hair loss. I drink large quantities of celery juice (without the tops) as it is the base of my green juices.

Does anybody here drink lots of celery juice? Have you noticed any symptoms of hair loss?

There may be no link whatsoever, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Celery juice and hair loss
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: December 20, 2008 09:11PM

no i hear its good for you if you have hair loss.
i know when i drink lots of celery and carrot juice my hair feels very thick.
might be all the vitamin E and calcium.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 21, 2008 12:11AM

I don't think the bitter taste is indicative of anything. Dandelion greens are very bitter but the only thing I know about them is they are good for your liver so this isn't a bad thing.

I had a very bad accident in 1996 and was under tremendous stress (unable to walk or hold anything in my hands for 5.5 months) and taking about $2,000.00 monthly in narcotics and sleeping pills. My hair thinned significantly. I am 48 and it has never come back.

If your hair is thinning all over, that is also indicative of a hypothyroidism. You can look the illness up on the internet and see if you have any of the other symptoms. Hypothyroidism is something a doctor can check you for.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 22, 2008 04:44AM

Dunno about hair loss but celery contains psoralens which may make your skin more sensitive to the damaging effects of sunlight, so it might be good to not overdo it.

Mineral deficiencies can speed up hair loss, also oxidized fats, and not just the ones you eat, but the ones produced by your very own skin as well.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 22, 2008 11:05AM

How would your skin produce oxidized fats?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2008 04:18PM

I have read that its common to have hair loss when you go thru the whole detoxing phase of a raw diet.But that your hair eventually comes back.
Hopefullysmiling smiley

Brian

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 22, 2008 04:47PM

P.acnes does this.

Propionibacterium acnes taking part in acne pathogenesis cause the release of some chemotactic factors leading to neutrophils accumulation, and this situation causes damages to follicular epithelia after the release of some inflammatory factors such as lysosome enzymes as a result of phagocytosis. Reactive oxygen species are released from the active neutrophils in the inflammatory tissue. These oxidants attack DNA and/or membrane lipids and cause chemical damage to them, including the healthy tissue. Squalene, which is specific to human sebum, protects skin surface from lipid peroxidation, but its own lipid peroxidation products lead to comedogenic effects, and they have been specified in open or closed comedones as highly concentrated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables