Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seasonal Affective Disorder
Posted by: irena ()
Date: December 25, 2008 05:05PM

I have always been affected negatively by lack of sunshine/time spent outside/cold weather but this year it has been exceptionally bad. I have had trouble staying raw and am struggling with episodes of cooked binging I know lot of this stems from my mild depression/lack of energy and overall lack of enthusiasm as related to S.A.D. I have opted not to visit a health professional regarding this since I know the only remedy I would be offered will be in the form of pharmaceuticals and don't wish to go that route. I feel so sad that I have been eating all this cooked food and feel like I have negated all the wonderful benefits I gained from my 9 months of raw journey. Any of you who have struggled with similar issues, I would appreciate if you can share things that have helped you stay raw and well. Thank yousmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Vitamin D deficiency & Seasonal Affective Disorder
Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: December 25, 2008 05:12PM

irena Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"I have always been affected negatively by lack of sunshine/time spent outside/cold weather but this year it has been exceptionally bad."

There is another thread which brings up Vitamin D deficiency caused by too limited sun light exposure and food sources...
Vitamin D deficiency causes mental illnesses, such as depression, etc It has been verified by many scientific studies from research on people living in the North (Scandinavian countries, etc)

D-vitamin & only UVB rays emitting home tanning bed product
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: justin1 (IP Logged)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:04PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"...Also, there is a home tanning bed product that emits only UVB rays, which penetrate the epidermis but do not activate the melanin to tan it. They merely induce your body to photosynthesize Vit D. The system is called Sun Splash, and is, unfortunately, costly. But it has been clinically reviewed and deemed effective. I don't know whether it's distributed outside of the U.S...."

Hi Tamukha!
Interesting, please can you elaborate more on the "only UVB rays emitting home tanning bed product"...?
---have you used it?
---do you know of any other who shared the experiences on this with you?

Interesting thing, I would benefit from extra vitamin D as well as i live in North hemisphere...smiling smiley

Thanks for your sharing,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2008 05:26PM by justin1.

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: December 25, 2008 05:18PM

Hi Irena,

You might try a SAD light. I purchased a lamp when I moved to OH b/c I was thinking that the winters would be dreary. I found when I moved that there is quite a bit of sunlight in the winter so I don't use it.

I put a couple of links below. Do your own search. You might find something closer to you.

[www.websciences.org]
[detoxyourworld.com]

Best wishes, Therese

Date: December 25, 2008 05:29PM

JUstin and Therese,

Thanks so much for your inputs and resources. Therese, I have been looking into possibly purchasing a SAD light box. I am curious if any of you have info on its safety.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 25, 2008 08:40PM

irena,

The following is a link to some products at Gaiam(you're probably familiar with this company): [www.gaiam.com].

Let us know how you're doing. Take heart--it's only as permanent a difficulty as you let it be. I am struggling to go 100% raw myself, and I am preconditioned culturally to feel I need hot food to make it through the winter. My people are Ukrainian, and I'm sure my Scythian ancestors didn't eat just shoots and leaves on the cold, cold steppes! Still, I believe I am myself, in this now, and must decide whether I am in charge(and ready to take the responsibility that entails) or whether my environment is in charge. Every day I become more aware of the ramifications of the choices, I get a step closer to making the right choice. When I cease to worry about the decision, when it becomes unimportant to me, then it's a serious negative consequence to my life. But while being raw still matters to me and I still strive to achieve it, I am OK. It's pithy, I know, but you can't fail unless you quit trying! Be well.

Tamara

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2008 08:41PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 25, 2008 08:42PM

depressed?
welcome to the club

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 25, 2008 09:09PM

Any of you who have struggled with similar issues, I would appreciate if you can share things that have helped you stay raw and well.

I don't have any experience with Seasonal Affective Disorder but I have "slipped" since going all fresh raw and I know the feeling of watching raw slipping away back into SAD eating and starting to feel poorly again and pack on the pounds. The last slip took me over a month to correct and for awhile I had doubts that I was going to make it back to all fresh raw and would have to live with the compromised health and weight consequences. Unfortunately I didn't find any easy way back. I had to draw a line in the sand between raw/not-raw and hold the line until it became easy to say NO again. Getting a grip on myself and holding the line got easier with each victory and in less then a month it was back to business as usual with very few and very mild "cravings". I think these "cravings" may be caused by letting go of the cooked food addiction and just like any other addiction victory is possible. If you do win the battle of raw/not-raw again watch out for the first bite or sip of dead food or drink as it opens the door again and its easier to keep the door closed then it is to close the door again once the dead food monster has its foot in the door. Good luck.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: December 25, 2008 11:00PM

Irena, I looked up some studies on it and I just went with my gut instinct. We have all sorts of light hitting us everyday. It's only UV light. According to studies, there were any contraindications.

[www.sadlight.com]
"When is the use of a bright light system not recommended?

There are no absolute contraindications to light therapy. However, if you have any eye problems (e.g., glaucoma, cataracts, retinal detachment, retinopathy) or have predisposing factors for eye complications (e.g., diabetes, lupus), or if you are taking medications that have photosensitizing effects in humans (e.g., lithium, melatonin), you should not use a bright light system without first consulting your physician. Your doctor will need to assess your individual risk-benefit ratio of using bright lights."

You could try it and see if it helps. I think that is the only way one would truly know.

When I did initially use my lamp, I did like the brightness of the light. It was similar to the sunlight that flows through your window in the early morning. Hope that helps. Therese

Date: December 26, 2008 02:34AM

Thanks all for your support and input. EZ rider I know that saying NO to cooked is the only way to go at least for me because I know that once I open the door I tend to indulge and lose my path. What makes me upset is that only two weeks ago I did a 5 day water fast after a similar binging episode and was able to get back to a mode of feeling cleansed and light and started my regular raw schedule routine only to fall of the wagon in like 5 days :0 I cannot believe I did that to myself after going through what was quite painful fasting period. It is just that I feel strong at some points and think that I can have one cooked food and than I end up binging on bunch of junked vegan I am so disgusted with myself. And now I have the urge to fast again but I know that psychologically and physiologically this is not very healthy because fasting is to be done for healing and not for absolution of past sins. But I feel like I have to do something radical, I cannot bring myself to just starting all raw tomorrow I feel like I need to cleanse my body need a break from food. Painful. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2008 02:21AM

i love cold rainy days

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 28, 2008 03:55PM

I, too, love cold rainy days. But my brain definitely doesn't, after a long period. You have to make the best of the weather you get, but our ancient ancestors lived where it was sunny often, so I think that's what we biochemically tend toward. Hope all contributing from northerly latitudes are doing well!

Posted by: mira ()
Date: December 29, 2008 06:08AM

I just bought a SAD light, this one;

[www.caribbeansunbox.com]

It may be a placebo, but i think i'm feeling a lil better...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables