Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ordering Thai coconuts online...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 15, 2010 09:41PM

I can purchase these from my local "health store", but I don't really know the background of them, if they are dipped in preservatives, etc. I have found websites that pick them fresh & overnight ship to you.

Prices vary; In a quick search the cheapest I have found is 15 lb. for around $85.00 shipped to the east coast. They are guaranteed to be organic & free of preservatives...

Anyone here ever purchase them this way? Recommendations for good sources? I really don't want to spend that kind of money & then end up receiving bad ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ordering Thai coconuts online...
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 15, 2010 09:49PM

what reason would you be using the outer shell if i may ask as that would be the only part to be covered in any preservitive.

have you checked your local supermarket they have organic coconuts where i am. Ive been on a coconut binge recently.

Date: May 15, 2010 10:24PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what reason would you be using the outer shell if
> i may ask as that would be the only part to be
> covered in any preservitive.
>
> have you checked your local supermarket they have
> organic coconuts where i am. Ive been on a coconut
> binge recently.

Well, no reason on using the outer shell, I guess. I have just been reading on forums here & there about the concern over them being dipped or heavily sprayed & the thought is that it may penetrate into the edible portion.

Yeah, they are very yummy, I am on a binge as well! Too bad you only get a small amount once it is cracked open. It does make for some fabulous smoothie recipes!

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 15, 2010 10:32PM

There is a place in FL that sells and ships and the coconuts themselves are really cheap but the shipping will get you.

[www.florida-coconuts.com]

Date: May 15, 2010 10:40PM

Are the ones that you guys get "green" on the outside like they are shown at the FL website? The ones in my area are peeled down to the white "skin" (or whatever you call it...)

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 16, 2010 12:22AM

I just don't worry because that husk, even when down to the white inner one, is still very hard. I have to shave it and really work to open the darn thing. The problem with that offer is that you are paying in pounds and it would be very easy to get to 15 lb.! Don't you think the average yc is about 5 lbs.? Even at 3 lbs., you'd be paying $85 for 5 of them. That's $17 each! Maybe they weigh less than that...that sounds just wrong. But I pay between $1.49-1.99 a piece. Now they are not organic but still--look at the difference!

Date: May 16, 2010 12:27AM

banana who Wrote:
> I just don't worry because that husk, even when
> down to the white inner one, is still very hard. I
> have to shave it and really work to open the darn
> thing. The problem with that offer is that you are
> paying in pounds and it would be very easy to get
> to 15 lb.! Don't you think the average yc is about
> 5 lbs.? Even at 3 lbs., you'd be paying $85 for 5
> of them. That's $17 each! Maybe they weigh less
> than that...that sounds just wrong. But I pay
> between $1.49-1.99 a piece. Now they are not
> organic but still--look at the difference!

Good points, banana who -

$17.00 ea. is waaaaaay toooooo much!!

Date: May 16, 2010 12:34AM

The green ones from the site I linked to costs $34 to ship 12 of them to WV where I live. Not too bad. That comes out to $4.30ish each. I have never ordered from there and actually it has been many years since I have even had coconut but I plan to try to find some green ones locally soon now that I am starting this new lifestyle.

Date: May 16, 2010 12:10PM

i know what you mean about only getting a small amount.

hmm smoothies never thought of using coconuts in them, any recipes?

cheers

Date: May 16, 2010 12:43PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> i know what you mean about only getting a small
> amount.
>
> hmm smoothies never thought of using coconuts in
> them, any recipes?
>
> cheers

David Wolfe has some youtube vids where he makes some - or maybe he is a guest on someone else's show, I don't remember.

I have made (using the water & meat together)

Coconut
Banana
Mango
Ice

Coconut
Pineapple
Banana
Ice (Pina colada?!?!?) grinning smiley

and a fav. of mine -

Coconut
Cacao nibs
Ice - - - wow, that is just about the best dessert! kind of like a frozen chocolate milkshake! grinning smiley

maybe other members can add a few more recipes - I am having fun with them - it is making for a great refreshing drink/dessert for the upcoming hot days of summer!

And, what better way to get the non-raw members of my family to enjoy something that is actually healthy for them!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:06PM

Sorry to say this, jk, but I just don't think it's cost-effective to have these shipped to you. If you walk into a store and buy them, they are still a horrendous waste of money--you pay for them by weight, but the usable matter is maybe 15%-20% of the cost of the thing. I thought about it and decided that I'm not paying for an 85% or 80% waste cost. Even if I were rich, I couldn't justify it. I think it was discussed on another thread a while back that if there were some way to recycle most of the coconut, like using the shells for dishes, a la coco, that would make buying ycs more cost-effective. But you can't even compost most of the parts without chopping them up with a machete(or a tree chipper).[sigh]

Date: May 16, 2010 06:21PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Sorry to say this, jk, but I just don't think it's
> cost-effective to have these shipped to you. If
> you walk into a store and buy them, they are still
> a horrendous waste of money--you pay for them by
> weight, but the usable matter is maybe 15%-20% of
> the cost of the thing. I thought about it and
> decided that I'm not paying for an 85% or 80%
> waste cost. Even if I were rich, I couldn't
> justify it. I think it was discussed on another
> thread a while back that if there were some way to
> recycle most of the coconut, like using the shells
> for dishes, a la coco, that would make buying ycs
> more cost-effective. But you can't even compost
> most of the parts without chopping them up with a
> machete(or a tree chipper).

I understand about the shipping being high for them & not cost effective, but I am not so sure about buying in the store. You do throw a large chunk of it away, unless you reclaim the bowl part to use as a, we;;, bowl, or other use.

However, as far as food goes = we are able to make up to six or more smoothies when mixed with other ingredients. That's a fairly good return when I pay something like $2.00 for them, I believe was the going price last time.

Date: May 16, 2010 07:48PM

they recipes sound great im not very imaginative these days lol.

got the cacao nibs here also yum yumsmiling smiley.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2010 09:19PM

About the dipping... if you soak a coconut in coloured water, the inside of the coconut will apparently turn that colour. No matter how thick that skin is, guess you're eating/drinking that dip along with your coconut.

The shells of the immature coco are not useful, they are too soft unfortunately, only the hard brown ones will do. I'm still thinking about getting rid of all our dishes and using coco shells, I can't help myself!

Date: May 16, 2010 09:32PM

coco Wrote:
> About the dipping... if you soak a coconut in
> coloured water, the inside of the coconut will
> apparently turn that colour. No matter how thick
> that skin is, guess you're eating/drinking that
> dip along with your coconut.
>
> The shells of the immature coco are not useful,
> they are too soft unfortunately, only the hard
> brown ones will do. I'm still thinking about
> getting rid of all our dishes and using coco
> shells, I can't help myself!

I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one, coco! grinning smiley I remember some of your posts from the past, that you have experience with this!

Has anyone had the green ones? Are they different in taste? I find the white husked ones are more palatable that the brown ones - to me, anyway...

Date: May 16, 2010 11:47PM

I learn all this stuff here my friendwinking smiley. It all comes around again and again too, good refresher course on what's what!
I think there are more than one variety but the green ones are shaved into the white hut shaped ones which are just babies of the hard brown ones as far as I know. If you unwrap a white shaved one you'll see it turning brown quickly, those wet fibers are equivalent to the dry brown stuff on a mature coco. An older coco has thick, chewy flesh and a dense, sweet flavour while a young one can have varying amounts of jelly flesh or no flesh at all, just water.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 17, 2010 06:44AM

why throw the coco's away after .. widen the hole, fill with dirt stick in a plant , they make a great natural planter smiling smiley i have some filled with edibles and some with flowers, some outside have been there 3 years now an show no signs of deteriorating anytime soon smiling smiley

didnt any of you folks watch giligan's island growing up? grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 06:48AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 17, 2010 12:37PM

Jodi,

I considered this. And then I thought of the jungle that my house and moonscape my lawn would become[3-4 coconuts a week adds up quickly and would necessitate outdoor overspill] and thought, um, perhaps not . . .

Date: May 17, 2010 01:33PM

heh i hear ya i dont get them cheap enough up here to eat that many smiling smiley at 5$ a peice i find that a bit pricey smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2010 03:36PM

5 dollars per coconut ? if so wow thats expensive.

here there about 50 cents a coconut or 60p.

Date: May 17, 2010 05:06PM

$5 for organic? Seems high but not surprisingly so.

I love the idea of planting in them but they are so little, what does well in such a tiny container? How do they stand upright? Do you make some holes in the bottom for dranage? You must...

Date: May 17, 2010 05:11PM

yea they are pricey here sad smiley ive seen them occaisionally less but not very often ! smiling smiley

yep i drill a hole in the bottom and they seem to sit just fine, theyre in little catch trays for water draining thru. i have little chives growing in there, violets, one has a kinda varigated ivy cascading from it, i have bleeding heart starts in some smiling smiley

i seriously need to buck up an get a cheapo digi camera so i can show you guys some of my wacky outdoor things lol smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2010 12:37AM

@Juicer: LOL@ "wayyyyyyyy too much." Um, yeah, I would say so. Unless you make 500K or something, I guess.

Date: May 18, 2010 02:19AM

Yes please pictures J!!!

Date: May 19, 2010 04:51PM

$5 each sucks but at least you can get them. They don't even sell young coconuts where I live. Just the brown ones with no juice. Last time I bought one and cracked it open the meat inside was rotten. Never again.

Date: May 19, 2010 05:37PM

Nubster Wrote:
> $5 each sucks but at least you can get them. They
> don't even sell young coconuts where I live. Just
> the brown ones with no juice. Last time I bought
> one and cracked it open the meat inside was
> rotten. Never again.

I have had that happen on several occasions, that is why I switched to the young ones.

Date: May 19, 2010 07:44PM

If it's rotten when you open it take it back to the store! They most likely will honour it and give you a refund. Any produce that's rotten can be returned as far as I know. It's just that most people don't bother.

Ugh, nothing smells so bad as rotten coconut.

Date: May 19, 2010 08:34PM

coco Wrote:
> If it's rotten when you open it take it back to
> the store! They most likely will honour it and
> give you a refund. Any produce that's rotten can
> be returned as far as I know. It's just that most
> people don't bother.
>
> Ugh, nothing smells so bad as rotten coconut.

True, we can return the produce. Problem is, the store is about 20 mi. away & we only go there every other week or so. I can't imagine holding on to the rotten c-nut for that long & then returning it to the store!

Would make for an interesting exchange at the service desk though! grinning smiley

Just got back from the store - I inquired about the ones they have; they are non-organic thai coconuts. They are selling right now for $2.79 ea.

I am still leery about purchasing the non-organic ones, I guess I will have to opt for purchasing for one of the websites mentioned.

Date: May 19, 2010 11:21PM

Wow...you must live way out...I had the experience of both my coconuts being spoiled (pink flesh means that it's no good). Even though I had to ride my bike there and it's not very close, I could not just chuck them at $2 a piece. I wanted them to know that their stock was old.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 20, 2010 02:04AM

Nubster Wrote:
> $5 each sucks but at least you can get them. They
> don't even sell young coconuts where I live. Just
> the brown ones with no juice. Last time I bought
> one and cracked it open the meat inside was
> rotten. Never again.

they sell really old coconuts then, cause the brown ones will still have the "juice" in them if they arent really really really old... dont even buy one that doesnt sound like its at least halfway full of liquid...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables