Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

push-ups
Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:25PM

I can run 2 miles now (steady improvement, I could not run more than 34 hundred yards without rest just a couple of months ago), but I can only do 7 push-ups hehe smiling smiley

I am planning to get to a hundred push-ups by the end of the year. How? I will simply do them every day, not pushing to much (no pushing with push-ups). Also, I hope to be able to run around 5-10 miles, with some sprinting. But, I want to do it without too much effort, I just want to enjoy it. That is how I run - when I feel too much effort, I slow down, keep running at a slower pace. I run outdoors, in a little forest nearby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: push-ups
Date: May 19, 2010 12:18AM

Well, this may not be strictly raw foods related topic, I now realize. If the moderator thinks it should be removed, I don't mind.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: May 19, 2010 01:43AM

Regardless, congratulations on improving yourself and being kind about your progress! Very inspirational smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2010 06:04AM

thanks, cyclopsicle.
Sorry for the typo, I didn't notice: it should be 3-4 hundred yards, not "34". smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:17AM

congratulationssmiling smiley.

although once you get past 15-20 there really is no point, all it gains is localised endurance of being good at doing push-ups. You'd be better changing the leverage and trying one-arm push-ups or adding resistance somehow such as a weighted vest.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:59AM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> congratulationssmiling smiley.
>
> although once you get past 15-20 there really is
> no point, all it gains is localised endurance of
> being good at doing push-ups. You'd be better
> changing the leverage and trying one-arm push-ups
> or adding resistance somehow such as a weighted
> vest.

I love using a weighted vest! I purchase a V-Max years ago and it is very versatile. Allows for freedom of movement, easy on/off, and adjustment is quick.

The only thing was getting rid of the "treatment" chemical that they had on it from manufacturing. Nothing would remove that oder...it is still there faintly, even after something like 6-8 years...

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:14PM

Well done Rab - I am a keen runner myself and appreciate how good it makes you feel. Regarding effort - what is hard now, won't be in a few months and so on. Those two miles will become 5, then 7 and so on. But beware it becomes very addictive - it a totally wonderful way smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2010 03:14PM

flipperjan, I agree, it really makes you feel good. I like running outdoors much more, but I will do it indoors in the winter, if I have too.
The amazing thing with raw foods is that my body reacts so much better, much less struggle. I could probably run much more than 2 miles now, but I like to keep it at the comfortable level, and it works. I can actually meditate and think clearly while I run, so it is just like some moments away from the daily routine.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 19, 2010 04:29PM

I hate running with a passion. Very painful for me. I suffer from terrible shin splints and mild compartment syndrome. I do mountain bike frequently (not lately though). To those that do run and like (love) it...I applaud you. I always wanted to be able to run and enjoy it but it's just not in the cards for me. I do like push-ups though. I used to have to do so many of them at the police academy. I hate how push-ups are used as a test for upper body strength when they are the furthest thing from that. It was funny, to get in to the academy you have to be able to do 27 push-ups in one minute. Do 27 reps of anything does not test a person's strength. It is clearly an endurance exercise. To test upper body strength I think a better way to judge that would be to bench press or something similar.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: May 19, 2010 05:15PM

I am a big fan of the push-up. I have been doing push-ups for at least 10 years or more. They are my main go-to, anytime, anywhere form of exercise. Not only is it a great upper body work-out, but it also feels like an overall "tonic" for my whole body. I mean, I get a feeling of a head-to-toe energizing buzz after 15 or so straight push-ups. I feel it in my core, down to my toes.
Love them.

Date: May 19, 2010 08:13PM

Nubster, biking is also beautiful, I think. It has it's advantages over running (you see more, you can go places, use your bicycle as a transportation vehicle). So, you are doing great, I think.

Running is just the simplest, most natural activity, and it is convenient for me to run as the little forest is very close. It simply makes me feel really good, and I will continue doing it. Somehow, it brings more pleasure than playing basketball or any other sport.

Date: May 19, 2010 08:41PM

bud, I have never been able to do more than 30-35 push-ups, but I want to do it now, as I have seen the video with this raw foods guru who did 600 push-ups I think, and he is 60 years old! He is slim but strong, and I like that, much more than bulky, ape-like built smiling smiley I agree that push ups are using a lot of different muscles, and that is why probably the body builders don' like them, as they are not a targeted exercise.
I pick exercise that I like - I DO NOT like lifting weights, any kind of "torture machines" (that is how I call the stuff in the fitness center). I like running, swimming, playing and light exercise. I prefer doing all that not alone (I get bored), but running is something I don't mind doing alone and I appreciate it.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: May 19, 2010 11:53PM

rab, 600 push-ups is, well, fairly incredible.

Funny you mentioned about the non-bulky aspect of doing them--- just yesterday I spontaneously dropped down and did some push-ups during a break in the class that I teach. The art model said, "I can't believe you are doing so many push-ups because your arms are so skinny!"

Lean, really, but I'm pretty strong! (Btw, I am a 48 year old woman with 12% body fat...)

Date: May 20, 2010 04:22AM

bud, I may be wrong, I will try to find that statement for you and put the link here. It does not really matter to me, though. I don't care about the records, just about feeling better and being healthy.

Date: May 20, 2010 12:00PM

its more about functional fitness rather than bodybuilding though Rab. The thing about training for functional fitness is that everyday life becomes easier because your using similar movements that you would in real life.

Date: May 20, 2010 04:28PM

I will say this about push-ups...when I entered the police academy I could bench 300 pounds. I was a powerlifter by the way. For the first 5 or 6 weeks we were there we could not use the weight room. It was a luxury that had to be earned. So we did the standard academy PT which was quite brutal and consisted of probably several hundred push-ups throughout the day. By the time we earned the privilege of using the weight room, the first night I went in to lift some weights. Of course 99% of powerlifters love benching so I got under the bar to see how much I had lost off my bench since I had not lifted weights in over 6 weeks. To my surprise, I actually added 40 pounds to much bench. That night I hit 340 on the bench. I could not believe that I added that much by doing nothing but push-ups. By the time the academy was over and about 3 months after I was done I was benching 400 pounds and topped out at 425 before I stopped powerlifting. As much as I loved moving the heavy weight I now see what it has done to my body and I am paying dearly.

Date: May 20, 2010 05:27PM

out of interest im a powerlifter also Nubster, what sides effects are you seeing?

Date: May 20, 2010 09:12PM

Side effects from powerlifting? Mostly the ones that you would expect. Pain in my shoulders, hips, and knees. Elbows are not so great nor are my wrists. I can't say 100% that these symptoms are from lifting heavy but at just can't imagine that lifting hundreds of pounds of weights for years is not going to be hard on the body. I lifted weights routinely for about 8 years. I was 160 pounds when I started and 260 pounds when I stopped. I also had 4 pack abs and wore size 38 pants so I wasn't fat. I mean I had some chub but I wasn't fat. My max lifts weren't great. I benched 425, squatted 450, and could dead lift 550, but that is still a good bit of weight. I know that when I benched my shoulders felt like they were on fire, my elbows felt sometimes like they were going to blow out and I had to wrap my wrists when I went really heavy because of the stress. Squats hurt my back and hips and dead lifts were usually pretty pain free but I did tear my groin muscle on a few occasions. I honestly think that I was also mental addicted to it. Like I said, I was a very solid 260 pounds but I always saw myself as small. I had a 56 inch chest, 60 inches around the shoulders, 20 inch biceps, 32 inch thighs and when I was around a group of people I also felt self-conscious because I felt like I was weak and feeble. It is really hard to explain. I have not lifted in several years and I am still a pretty big guy retaining a lot of that muscle but also gaining a lot of unwanted fat. I had shoulder surgery a couple years ago for rotator cuff damage I received while working but I honestly think all the years of lifting either damaged it a little or at least weakened it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 09:13PM by Nubster.

Date: May 20, 2010 09:49PM

nice one man still impressive lifts ill be happy if i get to those levels, ive just started training again recently after a long lay off due to health.

i know what you mean about the mental addicted aspect to it though for sure. I dont know if my wrists are bummed but there already getting sore on some exercises so might need to wrap them also.

Date: May 20, 2010 11:00PM

All I can say is be preventative as much as you can. Build slow, lift safe, and don't push too hard and listen to your body. I would also look into some rotator cuff exercises to strengthen them before they get damaged. That is the worst mistake I made...neglecting my shoulders.

Date: May 22, 2010 12:43AM

bud, it was Gabriel Cousens, I looke through some wideos and could not find the quote. I am pretty sure that he said 600 (that is why I thought I could maybe do one hundred), but now I think that I should have much more modest goals, as I don't have a clue what is realistic in the push-ups world. smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2010 12:53AM

flipperjan,
I have just come back from running a little over 2 miles outdoors (that has been my norm this week), but I have a new learning from yesterday. I saw this guy at work, he runs 5 miles every day at our fitness center. The path is probably not more than 100 yards long (around a reduced size basketball court), so he has to run many rounds. I was getting ready to play basketball so I ran a few rounds at the same time he did - and I learned that he actually runs faster than I do, even though he runs more sad smiley So, it is not oly the distance, it is also the tempo. He looks my age, so that is another inspiration for me to continue.

You are right, running is addictive smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables