Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salmonella outbreak in raw sprouts...
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:02AM

I sprout my own, but for those of you that purchase them, there is a salmonella outbreak in raw alfalfa sprouts.

[www.cnn.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmonella outbreak in raw sprouts...
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 22, 2010 11:53AM

What do they water those things with, raw cattle sewage? Or are the seeds incubated in raw cattle sewage? What?! And wasn't the salmonella-tainted spinach of last year from Fresh Foods? I just don't understand how this keeps happening.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 22, 2010 04:11PM

I admit that I am a conspiracy theorist. Too many greens and veggies getting blamed for pathogens which come from animals! Salmonella comes from chicken and birds, from what I remember. My God, from the news coverage, you'd think meat was just pristine and raw produce is dangerous and filthy!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 22, 2010 09:31PM

Even a suspected case of salmonella contamination in veg supports the current motion to irradiate all fresh raw produce. I am not above suspecting a conspiracy here, not above it at all. Bird flu and even mad cow didn't get the kind of "protective measures" put in place that alfalfa sprouts or green leaves do. I mean, you could still get flesh foods at the height of those scares but spinach? Nary a leaf to be seen for half the year at least.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 22, 2010 10:04PM

Yes, Coco! The almond atrocity should let us know what's up. Especially since raw vegan has become such a big thing in the last few years. So marring its image and making us think it's unsafe to eat anything in its raw state wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 23, 2010 08:11AM

both salmonella and e. coli can actually live and thrive in some types of veggies once they've been exposed to them, tomatoes are a great host for both, who knows, there could be a conspiracy, but many types of bacteria can live happily on and in plants...and it doesnt take much to to infect a whole fields worth of veggies, especially with the way they process sprouts for retail sale...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 23, 2010 06:37PM

Curator,

Most commercial alfalfa sprouts are hydroponically grown indoors. One would have to go out of one's way to contaminate them, like to use filthy runoff water from animal lots or growing containers that were previously used for holding sewage--virtually unthinkable. Maybe there is a conspiracy angle to this, because it's just kind of implausible.

Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:14PM

If produce has to be irradiated to prevent contamination do we know how much that will affect the raw nutrients and enzymes? In other words how similar is irradiation to straight cooking? And don't we already irradiate young white coconuts?

-John Vattik

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 01, 2010 12:08AM

im more of the opinion the more sterile you try to be the more vulnerable you end up

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables