Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can you soak pasteurized almonds?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 18, 2010 02:37AM

I shouldn't say "could," but why would someone? Maybe just to soften them for making mylk? I am just resigned for the near future that I will be making non-raw raw almond mylk for a bit until I wish to fork out the moola for a bulk order of really raw almondssmiling smiley Several years ago, I first discovered this site and was totally pumped to see all those recipes! So I made the carob almond shake and it tasted horrid. I think perhaps the almonds were not really raw and since I soaked them, they spoiled! So I am totally confused at what to do. I plan to make pumpkin mylk, but in case I decide to do the almond one, I wanted to know what would happen...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you soak pasteurized almonds?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:13AM

They shouldn't rot even if they are pasturized. I soak almonds to soften them and wash off the tannins, enzyme inhibitors, dirt, etc. Just soak overnight and then rinse them well, leave to sit out all day and rinse again that night. You can leave them out another night but I usually put them into the fridge at that point (sometimes even after the initial soak). At that point they pop right out of their skins so that's how I eat them, one at a time pop pop pop!

Re: Can you soak pasteurized almonds?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:59AM

Thanks Coco! Yeah, I have popped the skins on raw ones. Maybe the issue was that I let them soak too long. You have to consider your kitchen temp--here in Chicago, it can get pretty humid and you want to rinse sprouts more often at this time, as well as not soak them as long.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables