Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Stevia - kinda pricey
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 09, 2006 05:18PM

Does anyone have a source for buying stevia that's cheaper than the usual retail prices? My hubby thinks I'm getting too expensive to feed!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stevia - kinda pricey
Posted by: Cecilia ()
Date: July 09, 2006 06:02PM

grow your own! it is easy to grow!

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 09, 2006 09:30PM

can you grow it in the house, or outside only?

NOW Company has started
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: July 09, 2006 09:50PM

selling larger bottles. Not so ridiculously pricey. I have saved one smaller dropper bottle and keep refilling it from the larger bottle. I live where there is a Vitamin Cottage which has stuff at a much cheaper rate. Don't know if you are near one (Western US)

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:10PM

Compared to sugar, it is pricey but everything in life is a trade off. I absolutely swear by it but I've found that the Stevia Plus! white powder is sweeter than the liquid types. I buy the box of 100 packs for about $9.99 at Whole Foods in Dallas. As I am out a lot due to my work, I always carry packets with me for iced tea.

I have grown it from seedlings I purchased at Redentas. On ocassion I have seen it at Calloways. It is a bit surreal to munch on a sweet green leaf! I have also chopped a leaf or two very fine to add to anything that can use a bit of sweetness to it.

Stevia is one of my garden staples along with Pineapple sage, Honeydew melon sage & grape soda sage.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2006 05:19PM

I get mine in bulk on eBay. It costs a lot at one time but then lasts for several years. I get the powder and make sure it is 100% stevia. Beware -- lots of products are cutting the stevia with other things!

I bought the powder (in bulk) about 2 years ago and I think it will last me another 2 to 4 years (even though I have given some away). It cost about $90 for 1/2 lb. I think. Sorry I don't remember who I bought it from but the label has this address:

Plants of Beaufort
10 Wiggins Road
Lady's Island, SC 29907

However some months later I think I saw someone else selling 100% pure stevia powder for half as much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 05:22PM by 24 Carrots.

Date: July 17, 2006 02:01PM

I tried Stevia once, but it didn't sweeten my drink at all. Am I missing something or will never taste as sweet as sugar? Also, the kind I had said something about fiber...

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: August 10, 2006 05:03AM

I use Stevia Plus! from Wisdom Natural Brands. Their site is: SweetLeaf.com

I purchase the 100 pack box at Whole Foods Market or GNC and carry the packets with me everywhere. I add one pack per glass of tea (I only drink water or tea). The stevia does dissolve instantly in hot water - cold water is more challenging but it still works just fine.

My best example of how well stevia works happened a couple summers ago when we were at an event. It's Texas in the summer and for some insane reason, there was no water available - only soft drinks. Well due to insane thirst, I made the mistake of drinking 3 soft drinks within a couple hours. The heat and the sugar just did me in and I felt lousy when I arrived home. I immediately draink some ice tea with stevia and within 10 minutes I was feeling back to normal...that stuff really did regulate my blood sugar back to normal.

On a side note, sometimes in the winter I crave something warm & sweet, so I will steam some carrots, melt some real butter and add a little stevia to it -- glazed carrots that I swear are as good as the ones with butter & brown sugar!

Date: August 17, 2006 11:34PM

Here is a link to a coupon for sweetleaf stevia, you can use at most retail stores but it expires the end of August 2006 so use it soon!

Sweetleaf is my favorite brand of stevia, so enjoysmiling smiley

(http://www.sweetleaf.com/coupon.pdf)

You will need to cut and paste the address with the ( ) to get to the site

Date: August 18, 2006 03:44PM

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST THIS! I PRINTED THE COUPON - GOIN' SHOPPING TOMORROW!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: August 29, 2006 11:38PM

sorry that is with OUT the ( ) to get to the site. It wouldn't let me post it without them.

& no problem, I love coupons and i'm sure you all do too, so enjoy!

And yes LIFE IS GOOD...I love that clothing line too so cutesmiling smiley

(http://www.sweetleaf.com/coupon.pdf)

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:56PM

Thanks for the coupon!

Re: Stevia - confused
Posted by: VirtualVegGrrl ()
Date: August 30, 2006 06:31AM

Hi,

I'm confused...Is the white stevia powder Raw? I saw it in its natural form last year when I was in South America...And it was a green herb...how does it come to be a white powder?

Thanks!

~Jen

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 30, 2006 08:35AM

hey alive!

have you ever tried blue agave nectar, its fairly cheap. it is sweeter than sugar so it goes along way and is relatively low on the glycemic index

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 30, 2006 09:08AM

Date: September 06, 2006 05:11PM

Here ya go! I found a great deal on stevia.

www.nutritiongeeks.com

They sell the NOW brand and you can buy the small boxes of 100 packs or you can get 1000 packs for only $32.95 I bought 2000 packs and the shipping was only $5.95 Now that's whut I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: September 07, 2006 04:24AM

The white stevia has been processed to remove out the compound that sweetens... you can buy the dried and ground herb though. That's what I've used in the past. I bought a small pack (maybe a cup) for $14 at the market.

Cheers,
Sheryl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables