Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How can seaweed possibly be certified organic anyway...
Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 04, 2009 01:23AM

I know i'm anoying with all my seaweed questions, but i just loooove it, and i am now scared to eat some for multiple reasons...

So here's my point; How can seaweed be certified organic, when it comes straight out of the ocean??? Is the Atlantic certified as an organic ocean? lol, i doubt it!!!

I know that spirulina can be grown in pools, so in that case they can control the quality of the water of course. But how the heel can they do that when it's wild?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can seaweed possibly be certified organic anyway...
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:06AM

i beleive some seaweed is (or some is) cultivated in a farmlike setting so not sure how they get their *organic* designation smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 04, 2009 02:11AM

Even in they grown it in farmlike settings, the water is still the same, usually these settings are in the sea anyway...? Weird...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:14AM

some farms ive heard of grow it in tanks on land and pump or truck seawater in or manufacturer their own saltwater solution tho i beleive this would be a more costly product in the long run

i wuold contact whoever is making the claim that their seaweed is organic and make em give ya the rundown on their operation so you can decide for yourself if their are full of it smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 04, 2009 04:24AM

I actually asked 2 dealers if they were organic or not and how/where they harvest their products...

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:33AM

It needs to be low temp dried too to be raw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 08:33AM by suvine.

Date: January 07, 2009 05:41PM

I think it's sundried on the shore...

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 08, 2009 01:49AM

I was told that when seaweed is certified organic it means that it has been tested to the same standards as organic produce - so it can be collected wild in the sea and they test it for contamination and if it passes it can be labelled organic.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 08, 2009 03:06AM

I read the whole thing about the organic certification and testing on seaveg.com .

Still, there IS some heavy metals,even if certified organic... They test their seaweed and put the amounts of heavy metals found in them in a chart, giving the exact amout found, EXCEPT for arsenic... They only say, in all their kinds of seaweed, that the arsenic found is under 3ppm, wich is the maximum amount aloud. Weird.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables