Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do u think about this article on FRUITS
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2009 07:39AM

[www.drbass.com]

There is a long article on fruits in the above website. I would like to hear comments on it frome experienced fruit-eaters. I love fruits. But articles like this makes me afraid.

I especially would like to get comments on this passage:
"At that point he knew that something was terribly wrong with the fruit diet. It wasn't until later, when he read a booklet by a famous British nutritionist entitled "Fruit, It's Use and Misuse". He said it was the best book he ever read on fruit. I later read his book, but don't recall his name. This doctor stated that according to the theory of nutrition, fruit was alkaline in it's ash effect after digestion and was good for you. But, after what he observed in many people, he came to the conclusion that the alkaline ash present after digestion was due to the fruit acids leeching out the minerals from the body to neutralize the acids in the fruit. The body was not gaining in mineral content, but was losing the minerals from the bones, teeth and body instead.

By the way, do you consider watermelons acid or alkaline in your experiences?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do u think about this article on FRUITS
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 08:44AM

I wouldn't trust Dr Stanley Bass, he did experiments on mice giving them a fruitarian diet,to prove veganism didn't work. He seemed to miss the point that mice aren't fruitarians, they are seed eaters, that is why they have sharp pointed teeth at the front to crack open seeds to get the kernal and my mice lived very long and healthy 3 times normal life span on top quality vegan diet

Date: January 04, 2009 05:53PM

I consider all melons very alkaline.
In fact,if I ever get heart burn,I have a bowl of cantaloupe chunks and the burn goes right away.

Brian

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 04, 2009 10:15PM

Who on earth IS this fellow? I felt like I was reading a Steinbeck story from '35! It's widely believed that a diet exclusive of everything other than fruit is bad primarily because it rots the teeth. I feel great eating lots of fruit, it generally regulates my stomach acid properly, clears my skin, gives me energy, and is easily and thoroughly digested. I just remember to brush my teeth or at the very least, rinse with filtered water, to remove the acids from my enamel.

But the article! The first part, about the fellow with heart problems who was put on an orange juice diet? Vitamin C has been proven to be curative to many of the body's tissues, including cardiac. Linus Pauling! And that part about rehabilitating imported grain-fed monkeys? And working for "an orchestra" in New York City? And can there really be a nutritionist named Dr. Vonderplanitz, even in California? That's why I got the sense it was something written between the Wars--very archaic-sounding! Though it was apparently written recently . . . off to Google!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 05, 2009 12:47AM

Joyce,

This is a vegan site, and posting links to non-vegan sites is not permitted here. Dr Bass and Vonderplanitz are well known for their non-vegan stance.

Date: January 05, 2009 05:52AM

Thank you all for your comments.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 06:59PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Joyce, This is a vegan site, and posting links to non-vegan sites is not permitted here. Dr Bass and Vonderplanitz are well known for their non-vegan stance.

---What about counter meeting their anti-fruit arguments...?

---To block yourself from the "outside" world is like hiding your head in a sand...?

---I think (I know) people have these sort of questions, specially when they hear or read the propaganda against fruit eating from fellows like Stanley Bass, Cursio, etc...

---If their claims cannot be met here on a raw-vegan site...? ---where else...?

---I do not understand your reasoning..., please explain your way of thinking...?

Thanks,

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 05, 2009 07:54PM

justin1

---I do not understand your reasoning..., please explain your way of thinking...?

I don't know about anyone else but I appreciate a vegan site that is all about vegan and nothing about carcass eating. There are many reasons I feel this way so I won't go into all of them here and keep this short. I get tired of the endless discussion about how great it is to eat animal carcass that is presented by meat eaters who have made up their minds about the benefits of eating foods with a face and who ignore the facts. They just want to ARGUE. Once you realize the futility of endless arguing you can decide to live without it. I for one like having positive, supportive DISCUSSIONS that I can learn and grow from participating in. I vote YES to an all vegan forum.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 05, 2009 08:00PM

PS to my post above:

I guess I just fell into the arguing trap. Please disregard my post above as I am not interested in arguing about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 08:03PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: shane ()
Date: January 05, 2009 11:31PM

I agree, it's nice to come here and not have to get into justification arguments. People really like to say how unhealthy vegans are, and it gets stupid. This place is an oasis from some of that stupidity. Thanks, Bryan. Besides, no one ever really "wins" these internet arguments, anyway, and nothing much is gained. There are, like, a billion internet sites where you can scream up a match about "meeting the claims" of some anti-fruit wackjob.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 02:30AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS to my post above:
I guess I just fell into the arguing trap. Please disregard my post above as I am not interested in arguing about it.

EZ rider, I do understand your feeling and frustration, i really do...smiling smiley

People will think/do that what they are ready and willing to think/do...

however, when we express of our thoughts and beliefs we are putting them in to structure and enabling by that easier implementation of these in to our practical living...

Most people here are mainly on a raw fruit diet, or interested to explore it, so I cannot think of any danger that meat-eating-milk-drinking people take over this site..., in contrary I think that people "in between" the "two worlds" who might visit this site could get much needed support and guidance to support their breaking free from the meat-eating-milk-drinking community and environment influences (family, friends, work mates, etc)

as, well strengthening of own belief is beneficial, just read from people who repeatedly "fall" back in to the SAD trap... etc etc

Inlearned old compulsive thinking and -behavior are inter-realated to the heavy addiction to harmful unnatural and unnaturally processed foods which are not easy to break... It can take years, even decades... All support, enlightenment and information are very needed by these people indeed.

I think Ariel55 and Tamukhas replies here are very good examples how we can meet the anti-fruit propaganda in a productive constructive positive way...

Date: January 06, 2009 03:31AM

Just to clarify: I was not promoting eating animal products. I just sincerely wanted to know if it is unhealthy to eat much fruit because it is acid-forming and has too much sugar, etc. as Dr. Bass's article claims. If it is unhealthy, I will eat mainly vegetables. But if it is OK, I prefer sweet fruit.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 06, 2009 04:19AM

Justin

Its hard to argue against people's personal experience. Many people who live on the Standard American Diet, with its high fat intake, who may have a candida or fungus problem, are going to have problems eating a large amount of sweet fruit given their current diet and health. Nothing we could say could sway most of these folks from their personal bad experiences of eating fruit or other sweet foods.

I am not referring to Joyce111, but we get a lot of folk who are here to convert people rather than to be converted.

One of the things people like about this forum is that they don't have to justify their vegan choices and their raw choices, but can get support in their raw diets. There are some folk who really like the argumentation, and I used to be one of them, but nowadays I've become bored with the arguing and I am more concerned about helping people in their raw explorations.

If people really want to know about beyondveg or weston price or other non-vegan raw options, they can search through the old messages, or seek this info out in other forums. If they want to understand the benefits these other dietary philosophies espouse, go to their sites and ask question. But don't bring back their propaganda and their anti raw vegan arguments here, as this is not a debate forum.

Were here to offer support, not to debate.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 06, 2009 07:07AM

Justin, have to say I agree with other posters that discussion should be kept raw vegan.

On a certain other large, relatively recently-formed, raw food forum, I found myself arguing with people who felt we should eat meat, (oh, and being told off by certain posters for doing so!) and even with those who felt the raw food diet was 'dangerous'. It was very sapping, and a ridiculous waste of time.

I can understand why the rules here might seem over-harsh, but, believe me, things would rapidly get silly without them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 07:09AM by debbietook.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:31AM

I thought Mice were scavengers and grbage eaters Ariel? Are not rats thesame with their teeth too?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 07, 2009 05:52PM

I agree with Bryan, but Justin you have good points too. You are excellent debater

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:04PM

fruit is natural and meant for us to eat it.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:10AM

Suvine.

I'm sure most rats and mice in the wild will just eat what they can find,hence why they are regarded as scavengers. I have also observed this in people in third world and war torn countries,when there is no food at all.

Rats and mice are still naturally seed eaters though,and themicei n the field where i used to live as teenager used to eat the seed from the field and I've seen them eating grass seed too.

My point was I don't think the info Bass has put out on rats and mice is accurate, as it hasn't been my experience, I've experimented with different rats and mice diets and the one that keeps them healthiest is seed based, some grain, sunflower seed, peanuts corn, and fruit and greens. All the ones Ihad did not like egg or cheese and it was not a preferred food at all, they didn't even eat it when there was nothing else. I mean like a rat or a mouse would milk a cow for dairy, cos they can't be vegan. it is ridiculous nonsense and to me. I feel that his info and research is made up propaganda to discredit veganism for his own purposes.

Rats and mice are not human so why use them to say what is correct for a human anyway

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 08:15AM by Ariel55.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 21, 2009 12:30PM

[Rats and mice are not human so why use them to say what is correct for a human anyway]

Because they although they are not us, they are so very much like us and so are their nutritional requirements. They need more methionine/cysteine than we do, though, because they have fur all over their bodies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables