Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamix / Blendtec Jars - Do they Off Gas?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: January 06, 2009 10:25PM

I was wondering since these jars are poly plastic stuff instead of glass, do they off gass when you wash them? The instructions said it was dishwasher safe but to put it on the top shelf of the dishwasher only so it doesn't get as hot (I had no idea the temp. was any different on the top and bottom shelves). That's all it said though. I washed the blendtec jar in the dishwasher on the normal setting I usually use for all the dishes - heavy duty. I noticed there was a smell coming from somewhere in the kitchen like a burnt smell. I couldn't tell if it was from the dishwasher or the recently washed jar. It just made me think - does the really hot water make it off gas or loosen the toxins in the plastic so it will now come out into the food I put in the jar when I blend it and contaminate the food? I have also put my Vitamix jar in the dishwasher before and didn't notice any smells. I still don't know if that was it, it just started making me think about the plastic/heat issue. I hope that it's still safe to use and put food into it to blend. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamix / Blendtec Jars - Do they Off Gas?
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: January 07, 2009 12:26AM

Just look up a comparison chart and it will tell you the type of plastic...
THe same as Nalgene bottles..
YES
BOTH are TOXIC!!!

SHITTY HUH?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 07, 2009 12:51AM

Well, when you are actually using it, the time of contact with the food and the bowl is short.

But you could also invest in a cheap blender that has a glass carafe, like my $40 osterizer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2009 03:27AM

Or just wash it by hand with lukewarm water and plenty of soap. I never put plastic of any kind in the dishwasher unless it's for non food use. They are ALL unstable after a long period of use and washing at high temps. My parents had an Osterizer blender with a tempered glass carafe for 30 years and used it all the time. The carafe finally cracked and broke, but man, were those things made to last and safe compared to today's materials! If you have a Vitamix, I have heard that there are stores online that sell glass replacement carafes, but for obsolete models.

Posted by: nik ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:25AM

Thanks. I know the contact time is short, I was just wondering if the hot heat of the dishwasher softens and liberates the toxins, so it's not as safe anymore. I won't use the dishwasher anymore, but since I already did, did I change it? Is it leaching out now because of it?

[www.enn.com]

This article says: “Previous studies have shown that if you repeatedly scrub, dish-wash and boil polycarbonate baby bottles, they release BPA. That tells us that BPA can migrate from various polycarbonate plastics,”�

and

"However, drastically higher levels of BPA were released once the bottles were briefly exposed to boiling water.

“Compared to the rate of release from the same bottle, the speed of release was 15 to 55 times faster,”� explains Belcher."

However, what I am not clear on is if this rate of release is a permanent long term thing in the bottles once they are exposed to the high temp. or if they only increase the speed of release for a certain time period until they cool down again?

What's even more disturbing is that Blendtec is putting out propaganda from the manufactor that BPA exposure is "perfectly safe". [www.blendtec.com]

Date: January 07, 2009 04:43PM

nik,

Curious dearth of information on the conditions under which BPA becomes unstable and leaches. The best thing I could find was the second paragraph here:

[www.ourstolenfuture.org]

The Environmental Working Group also has reams of info:
[www.ewg.org]

If I interpret these data correctly, plastics are almost entirely unsafe, even with proper care, given time. sigh . . .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:46PM

glad i didn't invest in one. the glass jar blender i have suits me just fine. maybe it isn't as powerful as a vitamix but do i really, really need it to be? i don't think i do.

an x had a stainless steel vitamix, wonder if they still make that as an option? worth looking into...

Date: January 07, 2009 08:34PM

To anyone who cares: did some more digging, and there are replacement carafes for Vita-Mixes made with Eastman-Tritan copolyester, a patented German plastic resin that contains no BPA. It's supposed to be chemically way more stable.

[www.totalvac.com]

[www.goodmans.net]

Hope this helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 08:35PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: January 07, 2009 11:21PM

GOD!!
Ya think these high end blenders would come with GLASS jugs!!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:57PM

The new Vitamix containers are good.

Can read more here: www.eastman.com

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2009 04:23AM

rawrnr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GOD!!
> Ya think these high end blenders would come with
> GLASS jugs!!

Yeah I wish... but the speed of the blender can break the glass.

There are stainless steel possibilities with a few, like Waring, but for the most part you are stuck with some sort of plastic if you are buying new. At least Vitamix offers a BPA free option, see: Vitamix BPA-free

Blend and remove that's the best you can do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables