Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouting nuts, them drying them.
Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 07, 2009 05:48PM

I don't know why, but in my mind, if i sprout nuts and then dehydrate them, it would be like going back to their initial form...Am i right or wrong? Do they still have enzymes after soaked and dehydrated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouting nuts, them drying them.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2009 07:07PM

After I soak my nuts, I merely dry them, you know, in the open air so that surface moisture evaporates and I'm not eating something perhaps "slimy." Or I just pat them dry with a tea towel. Where did you hear to dehydrate them again? That DOES sound like going in a circle needlessly.

Date: January 07, 2009 07:33PM

Online store often sell sprouted then dehydrated nuts...

Date: January 07, 2009 08:38PM

Ah, if they shipped them un-re-dehydrated, they'd molder. I guess you could digest them straight out of the package this way if they've been germinated, but my impulse would be to soak and sprout them again just to soften them up. Bummer.

Date: January 08, 2009 03:53AM

But i saw that in various raw bars too, raw cereals...Actually, alot of "processed" raw foods have dehydrated sprouted nuts in them. I'm just wondering whats the point if you bring the nut back to phase 1...

Date: January 08, 2009 03:49PM

mira,

There IS no point, I guess. I wouldn't bother with this, but then the only prepared raw food I eat is fruit crumble that I buy freshly made at the health food store, like, once a month. I don't even bother with cabbage wraps or raw nut desserts at home. It's too much trouble(and I'm a trained cook!). I even think it's too much trouble to EAT raw cereal and crackers and stuff like that, because they are so very, very dry. I always feel parched when I do eat them, and it's because the moisture content is less than that in cooked vegetal matter. If I want nuts, I soak and sprout them, maybe one day; but if I just soak them, I hear that's good enough. If I wanted raw granola, I'd suppose I'd exert myself to make it from scratch, because then I could control the dryness. Truth be told, I'd probably just eat it wet with raw nut milk like meĆ¼sli and not dehydrate it at all. It strikes me as a huge rip-off to buy something made from things that have been rehydrated and then dehydrated for packaging!

Date: January 10, 2009 04:39PM

I guess it's only to get rid of the enzyme inhibitors...To make them a little more digestable...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables