Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sensitive teeth!
Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:09PM

Help! What should one do if after being raw for a while one finds one has very sensitive teeth? I can no longer eat certain fruits (strawberries, grapefruit, esp. oranges) without tooth pain. I use sensodyne and it doesn't really fix things, my tooth sensitivity is so bad. Anything other than potassium nitrate (active ingredient in Sensodyne) that might help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sensitive teeth!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 09, 2009 10:39PM

JohnVattik,

Are you taking care to brush your teeth or rinse them out with water soon after eating fruit? The enzymes and acids can really wear away your enamel. My dentist is constantly imploring me to either cut back on the oranges or brush more often. She said enamel compromise isn't really obvious until it's obvious, you know? Sensitivity or pain is a good indicator. Is there another type of sensitive-tooth paste you can buy that has natural binders?; I think J/A/S/O/N or Nature's Gate makes one. I really like the J/A/S/O/N seaweed based toothpaste--I found it very soothing to my teeth and gums. That's the best I can offer: try another brand and see if it helps. And eat fewer high Vit C fruits[they tend to be more acid]in the meantime. Good luck.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: January 10, 2009 03:31PM

You may need to stop eating acidic fruits for awhile, and you may find that your tooth sensitivity will go away in time, but it could take awhile. That's what happened to me, and now I can eat oranges and grapefruit and other citrus without worrying about it.

Also, make sure you get plenty of greens in your diet to keep your teeth well mineralized.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 10, 2009 05:59PM

Hi John, I didn't know about the fruit damage and the teeth enamel until it was too late. I have damage to my enamel. After that, I stopped eating citrus and pineapple, etc. I went more for other fruits and incorporated more greens. Now, I eat some citrus, especially in winter as that is mostly available. Mostly, if I feel sensitivity again, I juice the citrus rather than chew it. I also only use water to brush my teeth and continue to floss.

You may have to stop eating citrus for awhile, too, and just drink the freshly juiced citrus, instead.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 10, 2009 08:15PM

I keep a cup of clean water on my cup warmer on my desk and I always do a quick "swish" after eating citrus.
So far it has worked OK for me and I havn't had any teeth problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables