Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cooked Food Relapse! sad smiley
Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 11, 2006 12:18AM

Ok,

Today was really tough. To preface I'm in my 2nd week of 100% raw eating. I have hit a few walls with energy, etc. I woke up and drank a good size fruit based smoothie (bannanas, strawberry, blueberry). Had lunch 2 hours later of a rather big salad. Where I came to the realization of a salad just will not give me enough energy to function! I was starving! But more apparent very weak and completely out of focus. I was in training for work and the english speaking instructer was talking muffled japanese, couldn't comprehend anything he was saying. I got up and left in the middle of the class. I ate some almonds and felt better. Still feeling so unsatisfied, I went home and ate 2 apricots, 2 peaches, and 2 bananas, and felt better, but I must say I find it hard to believe that fruit doesn't make you spacey. I felt a bit of a rush and comedown after eating all that fruit. I was trying to read, and kept on going other places in my mind, in a sense, reading but thinking about other things. I know that regular sugar has a bad effect on the mind, so how come fruit sugar doesn't?

My friend came over and I could barely communicate with him. He had said he was on a raw diet once and couldn't take it.

I started to get thoughts like, "this is just another radical phase your going through trying to seek quick enlightenment jeff. Relax, quit trying to be so drastic with your lifestyle."

I had fantasies of Panang Curry with tofu and brown rice, my favorite cooked meal dish. I picked up the phone to call takeout, and grabbed a can of Amy's lentil soup instead. Violently threw it in the pot and ate it savoring every last bite. I feel great now.. Unfortunately, because I wanted eating the cooked food to not feel good so I could stay motivated.

I felt like a crazy person today, and was completely discontented. I feel that this is a beautiful way of life, it's just such a transition, and I didn't understand the velocity of it until today..

Heeeeeeeelp! Really thinking about going back to cooked..

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cooked Food Relapse! sad smiley
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 11, 2006 12:35AM

Jeff, I recommend slowing down. You seem to want to skip a few phases here. Don't expect to be able to eat mostly fruit and be satisifed, after being raw for only a short while. Instead of trying to achieve unreasonable goals, why not limit them to just one "staying raw". Eat foods you love! Things will happen in their own time, when your body is ready for them.

In my first year of raw, I ate lots of nuts, poorly combined and used many herbs and spices. It's OK. It got me through the difficult adjusting period.

All the best,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 11, 2006 12:49AM

fruit can make you spacey, definately, try adding more greens. Also did you have a proper transition into raw food? Going from 100% cooked to 100% raw is not recommended. Be gentle with yourself..

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 11, 2006 01:21AM

cooked food withdrawl sucks!! I only had issues for a couple days, but that was enough for me! I'm glad it passed as fast as it did!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:45AM

For myself, I don't think I could be 100% raw if I didn't eat raw wheat germ. If you try it, buy it already packaged and labeled "raw" on the package. Don't buy it in bulk out of the bin because it could be rancid. I only eat it once every 3 or 4 days sprinkled on a salad, with a cold pressed olive oil and lemon juice dressing.

It's great. Gets me grounded, makes me satisfied, and it's packed with nutrients.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 02:47AM by Ally.

Date: July 11, 2006 03:15AM

Thanks all,

I'm buying raw wheat germ tommorow.. I'm taking shots of it..., maybe even an iv.. Something to satisfy the empty mass in my stomache.. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 04:44AM

ShineON,

I got to thinking after my last post that Rawgosia has a really good point about possibly slowing down (maybe just a little) on your transition.

If it turns out the raw wheat germ doesn't do quite enough for you, and you still feel like you just have to eat something cooked, you might try eating some cooked vegetables - the less starchy ones like broccoli, cauliflower, and/or string beans. Or for a little more starch: peas, corn, and/or yams.

I did that fairly often before I started doing the wheat germ. Usually I'd plan it out in advance and buy a fresh vegetable to cook, but just in case I got hungry unexpectedly, I kept frozen peas and corn in the freezer all the time. I found the cooked veggies easier on my system and more transitional than the more starchy stuff like rice and beans.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 04:46AM by Ally.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 11, 2006 11:01AM

Opinion:

-I hear you.

-You must be highly motivated.

-Analyze the level of raw food that you are perfectly comfortable with NOW......and make a plan of small goals (with timetables) to increase this by perhaps 1-2% per week.

-This journey should always be a stretch - not a pull or a tear away. You are really perfecting your process, thoughts & techniques anyway.......what you are BEING. The rest is outward show feedback.

-Food is only one major symbol of the transfer flow of energy that must go on within the human.

-David Mason

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 11, 2006 09:47PM

This is so funny Jeff because I can really relate!

I'm going through much the same thing. The only difference is that my tolerance for cooked food has already gotten considerably lower and I do not feel "great" after eating it...unless I eat so little of it that it seems pointless to eat it at all.

I've been noticing that many of us attracted to this diet and way of life have tendencies to be a bit perfectionistic. I have real problems with this too. I battle guilt, conflict to the point that I feel that I'm losing my mind and I often panic when I've eaten something cooked or even the slightest bit "junky".

hang in there buddy and when it gets tough go read Gosia's "Seven Commandments"...it'll make you smile:

[www.rawgosia.com]

btw thank you gosia for these,

~K

Date: July 11, 2006 10:48PM

Who thought that you could feel such positive love and energy, electronically on a message board! I must say that I have never had the pleasure of communicating with more supportive, altruistic people... Thanks K, and all who understand me right now, cause NOBODY else does! smiling smiley

Namaste.

Jeff

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 11, 2006 11:08PM

Oh, no worries. I'm glad that made you smile. I like smiling too. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 11, 2006 11:19PM

Yup - it can be hard at first. I went from cooked to raw overnight and quit smoking at the same time! Don't recomment it!!!!!! I was in shock for two weeks and crazy for a while after that!!

One thing that helped me was that I let myself eat anything that I wanted as long as it was raw. Nuts, nut butter, raw bars, avocadoes, etc. along with fruits and veggies. It's not good to let yourself get too hungry - that desperate feeling that comes with extreme hunger can send you to the nearest cooked food despite your best intentions.

After a while, when it's time, you will naturally gravitate to less heavy, fatty foods. I personally found that if I don't want to crave it - don't eat it. So sticking with raw and allowing myself all the freedom in the world - withing that parameter worked.

Anyhoo - however you decide to do it - I wish you the best - I feel SOOOOOOOO GOOD! I WISH THE SAME FOR ALL OF YOU OUT THERE!!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

ps. Some people don't eat raw mushrooms, but I do (always reserve the right to change my mind, though). Anyway, you could sprout some lentils for a day or so and then blend up a carton of button mushrooms with some water and maybe some miso or salt and spices (onions or onion powder), add the lentils and there ya go - lentil soup. It's good. You can even warm it up a little if you need something warm in your tummy!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2006 06:42AM

Hey Hi,

Ki-Spirit here.

I read a bit before I decided to go raw and and I am on DAY 1 of 100%. I will likely be using this board a lot. ;^) (Tried to do all raw two days before that without having enough raw food in my fridge, so I ate the last canned kidney beans on my salad.)

Allow yourself a breath and recognize we do EVERYTHING we do for a darn good reason. There was a great book by some doctor No More Cravings. What he said is your body will be craving energy, or food for the brain, or juicy food, etc. and certain junk foods are craved to give us the need filled instantly. He had it figured out that if you craved ice cream you needed these nutrients, if it was floury goods, others, if it was fats and sugars and grains you needed different nutrients, etc.

I'd sure like to see a RAW book laid out so clearly with FOOD instead of supplements as the ingredients to substitute. IS there one out there like that gang? I know there is some here and there, but how about all in one place?

I am certain the fruits were doing you in. I also vote for salads, also. Now, if you are like me some of the times, you may not feel like making a salad but 5 minutes -- ripppin up some lettuce, slicing bells, grating a carrot 'n beet, and tossing an avo, nuts or seeds on it -- and 20 minutes later, my body is happy.

I recall Victoria Boutenko saying if you go all raw, let yourself have what you want, as much as you want at first. But all the time, let your body guide you. If you got a body craving, go with it.

I plan to have enough variety where I can look and see what I want. But, if I want something that is not there, I will make sure I get it next run to town or at a friend's garden.

Boutenko also said somewhere in her 12 steps, to allow yourself to find another focus instead of food. We all use foods to get on the other side of tough emotions - like emptiness, heartache, but I notice times when I just want a solid physical feeling and laying my bod on the earth seems to get me to where I am satisfied or I can tell what foods I want underneath the not full. Sometimes, I just want to stop and am not stopping some project.

Boutenko also pointed out that we rarely celebrate some event or landmark without having food, when we could just as easily celebrate doing something special.

Oh, and she recommends a raw buddy, where you can talk to them or get support every day about whatever the first few weeks or months.

It is great to get so much feedback. Your asking for help and getting it prompted me to realize I did not have to have someone in my area. I can do it by email.

I have other questions myself, but I will ask on another thread.

Hang in there, Jeff. Trust the body's intention is to support you and then give it time to figure out what raw choices will work.

Oh, and my nutritionists taught me long ago -- chew chew chew. I even chew my shakes. I am much more satisfied, and with less when I do. (today I zipped through some of my food, so I know/remember how wanting more feels too.)

Thanks everyone for being there.

Ki-Spirit

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2006 07:02AM

Oh, instead of thinking it won't be easy, this is going to be difficult, etc., I add this thought to whatever I am doing these days. It helps IMMENSELY by reminding me to make supportive conscious-in-the moment changes, decisions, etc.

...in an easy and relaxed manner, in a healthy and positive way...

from Catherine Ponder

I do life coaching and this reminder came from my coach. I'd like to hear anyone's experience using the phrase for getting raw.

Ki-Spirit

Date: July 26, 2006 11:14PM

Wow.. Thanks everyone! Ki-Spirit, that was beautiful, and very needed..

Peace..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables