Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

pine nuts
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:10PM

Are pine nuts raw? A friend of mine goes to France and harvests her own - this is not an option for me. lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pine nuts
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: January 15, 2009 08:01AM

Pine nuts to my knowledge are raw,along with hazlenuts and walnuts, the ones that aren't are cashews unless specially opened, and brazil nuts, as apparently they even reach a high heat in the shells when they treat them before selling them commercially

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 15, 2009 09:17AM

Pine nuts can be purchased raw or cooked.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 17, 2009 05:19PM

Utopian Life,

By cooked, do you mean roasted or something? Or do you mean blanched? I have only ever seen the light yellow colored pine nuts, and these are the only ones I've used commercially . . . do you mean that, like almonds, they may appear to be raw, but in fact be pasteurized?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 17, 2009 10:19PM

I guess I mean the adjectives on the package are usually "raw" or nothing, or maybe "toasted," which you know isn't raw. I go to places I trust and buy the ones labeled "raw." If I purchased them from somewhere that I thought didn't understand what "raw" meant, then I would go elsewhere.

I hope that makes sense!

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 18, 2009 07:42AM

Consensus is that they are raw (unless the pack says toasted of course, and that can be in quite small print!).

As a pedant, I'll point out here that some feel 'pine nuts' should be referred to as seeds rather nuts, in that they are not encased by a hard shell.

Posted by: JohnVattik ()
Date: January 18, 2009 11:44PM

I wonder if the pine cones are possibly heated to extract the pine nuts? My guess though is that raw pine nuts really are raw, from what other sites say.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:32AM

Pine nuts (or seeds) can truly be raw. When I lived in South Korea, we used to pull them out of the pine cones and bite the seed off. They look a bit like maple seeds that have the translucent ends that allow them to fly. You can tell where the seed is b/c it is roundish there. This is the same with the pine seeds.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: February 01, 2009 07:16PM

How should pine nuts be soaked and sprouted? In the shell or out?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables