Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mushrooms
Posted by: Mseight04 ()
Date: January 15, 2009 10:48PM

I got a receipte for mushrooms & soy sauce (I use Sans-J, low sodium), I've been eating them everyday for the past 4 days. My question is, is this healthy & on the course of being raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mushrooms
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 15, 2009 11:50PM

I like to include some fresh raw Shiitake mushrooms in my salads. Here's some info about the Shiitake mushroom: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 16, 2009 09:38AM

even low sodium soy can have a lot of sodium still or something else to make it taste better like hidden sugars when they remove the sodium .. probably better used in moderation ..but certainly tasty while transitioning ! smiling smiley

i used to LOVE mushrooms .. and the last few months have been totally turned off them .. so no Fungus has been Amongus for awhile =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: annex ()
Date: January 17, 2009 02:50AM

Whoa, I didn't know that shiitakes had vitamin D in them! Cool!

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 17, 2009 07:39AM

Mushrooms are fungi. IMO, better to eat foods that are the result of captured sunlight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 07:42AM by Omega.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 17, 2009 08:13AM

from MykoWeb:

There seems to be an ongoing temptation amongst mycophagists and chefs to serve mushrooms raw or barely cooked. Generally speaking, this is not the best of ideas.

The mycochitin composition of mushroom cell walls, as opposed to cellulose walls of plant cells, is difficult for humans to digest. Our stomachs resent indigestible items, and often forcibly reject them without further ado. The cooking process helps break down fungal cell walls, rendering mushroom flesh not only more readily digestible, but also releasing significant nutritional value contained within the cells....

...Even species commonly eaten raw, especially the ubiquitous button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, have their drawbacks. Buttons, and many other edible mushrooms contain various hydrazines, a group of chemical compounds generally considered carcinogenic. For the most part, these compounds are heat sensitive, readily volatilized and expunged from the fungal flesh by proper cooking. ...

UNQUOTE

for rest of article

[www.mykoweb.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 17, 2009 01:24PM

Everyone's goals are different...and the eating of mushrooms is relative. I certainly think that if eating them helps you to avoid meat, oils and other processed items....then I think you are on the right track! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables