Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw secrets, bland food
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: July 11, 2006 01:33AM

I read some of Frederic Patenaude's "Raw Secrets" yesterday, and it convinced me to go over to eating only fruits, veggies, sea veggies, nuts, and seeds. I tried nori wraps for dinner today with avocado, lemon, tomatoes, and a little water blended to make a filling, along with some sliced carrots and romaine leaves. They were SO bland! I'm used to adding miso, nutritional yeast, and cayenne for some flavor. I tried to savor them, and to appreciate the natural flavors of the vegetables, but I didn't enjoy them at all.
Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw secrets, bland food
Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:19AM

I agree with Fred about not eating too much fat etc but the idea of adding no spices or condiments makes raw food blah for me. I think it`s fine to add spices and be creative. Raw food is already so hard, don`t need to make it unneccesarily difficult.
I do love mono-eating fruits alone. But often I add spices to veggies and it feels goood..

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:31AM

I say eat the foods you enjoy at the moment and be open to change in the future. I used lots of spices in my first year of raw, but not anymore. The change was spontaneous though, not a forced one. As far as salt, I decided to ditch it completely recently, because I no longer liked the taste of it. Avoes/tomates actually taste salty to me now.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:34AM

Good suggestions Vegangoddess and Rawgosia.

Another thing, maybe you didn't really need to add the water. Just mash up the avocado a bit and add the rest of the stuff chopped up. Maybe try adding some chopped green onions or minced up garlic (yum), AND (very important) just a touch of lemon juice. If you like, try sprinkling just a little bit of raw wheat germ in there (very nutritious).

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 02:36AM by Ally.

Date: July 11, 2006 05:08AM

rawgosia - can U share with us what's the ratio of fruits/nuts-seeds/greens in U'r diet? i'm curious? since
i'm so far not sure what's best for me
i mean more greens, -or more fruit
as we know opinions r divided, or
it is pretty controversial...
i've been raw for 3.5 years & my weight is too low still...& i'm not exaggerating
i wouldn't go to bathe/swim publicly, or even wear a sleeveless top, since
my upper half of the body
looks like that of the concentration camp survivor's ...(!!!)
i feel good, but could do with more energy...i mean, i had more energy, i think, when cooked....
of course there's no way back for me,
but,
i guess my system is pretty run down/wrecked, i mean the digestive system, or maybe other organs too, since i guess, i'm not getting enough fuel/nutrients, out of my food, even though i eat well, and not too little...
sooo
hope U'll share with us, what works for U now...
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 11, 2006 06:03AM

Hi Basia,

First of all, I think that, if one likes, one can have both - lots of fruit and lots of greens at the same time. The two things do not exclude one another. Although, if you calculate the calories, then yes, they will come mainly from fruit, unless one eats lots of fat, of course. To me, the fruit is my staple, but I do not exclude the greens. I eat them if I want. In general, I eat what I want. And, what I want most of the time, is fruit. smiling smiley

I never calculate the ratios (a stubborn mathematician here), so don't know about these in my diet. But I can tell that recently my eating pattern has been (note that my dietary habits continue to change):
* fruit (mono) in the morning and afternoon, and
* salads (large bowl of greens, tomato, cucumber plus orange juice and 1 tablespoon tahini and perhaps 1/2 avocado) OR young coconuts in the evening.
* In general, I tend to have denser foods in the evening. I don't eat many nuts, and I do not have them very often either.

As far as my body, I am slim (approx. 50 kgs, 163cm), but I would like a leaner body (so I have no problems with being too skinny, on the contrary smiling smiley ). I see a constant improvement though. I am hoping to go on a bike again (to travel between home and work), when it gets warmer here.

I recently met a raw foodist who has been avoiding fruit for some time (due to certain beliefs about candida), who's weight dropped to 40kgs (I hope that they will get better). I heard before about similar such stories, which make me wonder about the fruit avoiding strategy. I believe that following the mind but ignoring the body will inevitably lead to problems.

I would like to emphasize that one follows their own body instinct rather than following someone else's menus. Eat raw foods YOU love!

Sincerely,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 06:06AM by rawgosia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables