Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:07PM

Can you give me some advice?

My main problem with staying raw seems to be getting enough calories. I usually fancy fruit and/or juice for breakfast, but if I eat fruit in the morning, even if I eat until I cannot eat any more, come mid-afternoon I am scrabbling round for whatever food I can get my hands on and often end up bingeing on junk. Then I go back and think about how many calories of raw I ate during the day before bingeing and it is usually low, around 1000, so no wonder I got so hungry!

Thing is, I'm not trying to starve myself or anything, I just get very full very quickly on raw and can't get enough fuel. I exercise for an hour most days too.

What would you suggest for getting in enough calories at the start of the day? I have noticed that if I have a lot of calories for breakfast it seems to stop the bingeing, but eating a lot of nuts/seeds in the morning feels too heavy/sicky in my stomach...I don't know what to do and feel like I will have to give up on 100% raw if I can't get this sorted sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help!
Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:20PM

I am pregnant and eat only fruit all morning, well fruit and a green smoothie. I start with orange juice, than green smoothie, then fresh fruit, then more fresh fruit.... Finally in the afternoon I have salad and something I've prepared with nuts, fat, etc in it. I'm asleep by 9 so I don't usually eat at super time. In the middle of the night I often have two apples.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 21, 2009 09:27PM

I run or go to the gym for between 1 - 2hours about 4 or 5 times a week. I eat a couple of bananas before i go and this is enough. After exercise I have a pint of juice - say - carrot, apple and celery. Then an hour later more juice or a smoothie - 2 banana based etc - about 3 cups. Then i might eat more fruit e.g. satsuma's, grapes, bananas etc. that takes me into the afternoon. I might eat more fruit throughout the afternoon and then big salad in the evening.

Having said that I am losing a bit of weight at the moment which is good but I don't Feel at all hungry.

I think it feels different to get your calories from fruit than from SAD food. One doesn't feel so full or heavy somehow. I think it gets a bit of getting used to. You don't say how long you have been raw for. Do you eat bananas because they are great for fuel. I don't fancy nuts in the morning either but medjool dates are lovely.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:28AM

bananas

if I eat fruit in the morning, even if I eat until I cannot eat any more, come mid-afternoon I am scrabbling round for whatever food I can get my hands on and often end up bingeing on junk

I like to start my day with fruit also. After a few hours of eating fruit my body lets me know that it wants something else. That something else for me is an avocado. You might think "how could that help, its just more fruit ?" - well its a fruit alright so your just eating more fruit but its got plenty of fat and protein in it: [en.wikipedia.org] and that satisfies my appetite. After the avocado I usually wait for a slight return of hunger signal and return to eating fruit as my diet consists of about 70% fruit.
A word about the hunger signal. The hunger signal can be a very useful body signal if you tune in to it. I frequently wait on a slight hunger signal when switching mono meal foods. The key word is SLIGHT. The first hunger signal is very weak and you have to be tuned in or you'll miss it. The following signals get stronger and harder to miss. The problem for me in waiting until the hunger signal is screaming at me is what you described about eating anything within reach including junk. That is exactly what happens to me too. My "slips" have happened when I have let the hunger signals get past the weak and into the strong signal intensity area. I have found that the SLIGHT hunger signal is the perfect place to eat and a useful tool for someone who is listening to their inner coach. If you should happen to "slip" I recommend that the first thing you check out is determining how hungry you were just before you "slipped" and you will usually find an answer as to why you "slipped" right there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables