Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Suspect Salads: Lettuce May Be Toxic To Your Thyroid!
Posted by: nik ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:40PM

[thyroid.about.com] This is an article I just read about rocket fuel in winter greens in Arizona and California (where I live). They said they even tested an organic brand of mixed baby greens and it had 20x the amount considered safe in drinking water.

Is there any way to avoid this at all short of having your own garden? Is it still worth it to eat lettuces in spite of these high amounts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suspect Salads: Lettuce May Be Toxic To Your Thyroid!
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 21, 2009 10:03PM

I think that the very vast majority of people with thyroid problems are getting an insignificant amount of perchlorate through their lettuce because they eat an insignificant amount of lettuce.

I still eat about a half kg of lettuce per day.

I am pretty confident that it's better to eat raw leafy greens than not. Even if there are traces of perchlorate, there are also traces of other good stuff that you can't readily get elsewhere.

If you are really concerned you could eliminate the outer leaves and eat only the hearts; they contain less.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:38AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If you are really concerned you could eliminate
> the outer leaves and eat only the hearts; they
> contain less.

That's funny, I always do that. Jamie gets mad at me for "wasting" the outer leaves but I like the hearts better.

Posted by: nik ()
Date: January 25, 2009 02:58AM

Thanks. Not all greens have hearts, I mean like spinach and kale etc. However, I guess I am concerned about it interfering with iodine. Even though I eat dulse and get iodine from that, if this stuff is preventing me from even absorbing the iodine in the dulse...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables