Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Type 1 diabetic off insulin thanks to RAW food!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 23, 2009 04:58AM

Hey guys, my name is Taylor, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14, an "incurable" disease which requires insulin shots every single day. Januray 1st I began a 100 percent raw diet, (thanks to the local whole foods) and iv been 7 days completely off insulin!! anyone with type 1 diabetes would know how incredibly amazing this feels, the funny thing is, I posted this on the diabetes forum, and everyone said i was lying, called me crazy, said I was going to die, and eventually even banned me. Lol, well anyway, just wanted to let u guys kno that RAW food is awesome, as if you didnt already kno.

Taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Type 1 diabetic off insulin thanks to RAW food!!
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 23, 2009 05:43AM

well it sounds a little fast, is all. theres another person that posts on another board and he's been raw for a long time and has reduced insulin but he didn't get off of it in 3 weeks. i'm not aware of any type 1's getting off ins., so maybe you could provide more info?

Date: January 23, 2009 05:55AM

I know its fast, its crazy, im not saying im cured or the diabetes is gone, im not going to jump to any conclusions, but iv been off insulin for 7 days and by Blood sugar has been stable, im just taking this thing one day at a time, but il post a chart of my food/blood sugar levels/activity of the first 2 days that they stabilized, and my story

January 20

8:47 am 79

Ate Raw Wheat Free/Mineral Rich crusts w Guacamole

10:01 77

Ate Large Salad/ Wheat Free Crusts w/ Avocado

10:42 81

11:00 90

20 minutes fast walking

11:47 98

1:04 81

Drank Cayenne pepper/Lemon water

1:53 94

3:00 90

3:37 89

Drank tall glass kale/celery juice, ate almonds/cashews/mulberries/ raw granola kookie/ began hike up mountain

3:57 107

4:13 110

Reached top of mountain

4:47 93

Ate Raw Banana Bread Kookie

6:05 82

7:01 91

Ate Raw Granola Kookie

8:06 134

8:21 127

8:57 114

Ate Large Salad (arugula/avocado/tomatoes/peppers/cucumber/brocolli/lemon juice)_

9:23 152 (this was right after I ate)

Walked 20 minutes

9:49 101

11:09 99

12:24 am 95

Jan 21

9:17 am 76

Ate Raw Breakfast Crusts, Cashews, Avocado

11:51 110

12:28 109

12:44 106

2:28 87

Ate Raw Mineral RIch Crusts w Guacomole/ Raw Coconut Pineapple Cacao Granola

3:54 104

Ate Raw Mineral Rich Crusts w guacomole and more Raw Granola/ 40 minute Hike

5:33 88

Ate Cashews/Large Salad

6:58 146 (again this was right after I ate)

7:23 113

8:36 109

9:26 102

Ate Cashews/Raw Granola

10:45 105

Im very excited, I saw my endo today and she couldnt believe it, they ran some bloodtests and stuff and im gna get the results back in a few days, Im not going to jump to any conclusions, im just taking this thing day by day.

About 6 months ago I started wondering about alternative treatments, I tried acupuncture and herbal medications, didnt work, then I had a friend tell me about raw food, she bought me a raw cheesecake, I ate it,(and injected insulin) sure that my BG would spike afterwards, and it didnt, so I did mroe research, then found that whole foods had a whole raw section, my mom started buying me food from there (thank god for her, bc it is really expensive) anyway, I did the raw thing for 2 weeks, and I went from using 25-35 units of novolog per day and 10 units of lantus per nite, down to about 6-8 units of novolog per day and 3 lantus per nite, and i felt great, then one day I caved and had fish and chips, my BGs went crazy, I spent the next 5 days eating normal junky food and my BGs were crazy, then new years eve I lost it and ate 2 boxes of chocolate cookies, my BGs went to 400, despite the fact that I injected about 14 units of insulin, I was so bummed out, so new years day I made my resolution to only eat raw, after a few days, my BGs stabilized, and my insulin levels gradually declined, then I began to exercise everyday, and one day I decided to eat a Raw Kookie and do no insulin, this was a day that I hiked up a mountain, I was terrified, but when I tested, to my astonishment, my bg was at 100, so I did this for a few days, then I decided that rather then injecting insulin, I would exercise wenever it was high, then I posted on the diabetes forum, they all called me insane and made me feel terrible, the next day I was ready to inject insulin again, after one last test I was at my moms house and ate a salad, an hour later i checked my sugar, it was at 110, an hour later (positive it would be above 150, it was at 104, I couldnt believe it, the chart I posted earlier was over the next 2 days, and since then my Blood Sugars have been stable, again, im trying not to get too excited, im just taking this thing day by day.

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:23AM

Hey Taylor!WOW!!Your doing amazing!I personally belive ANY disese can be eliminated through diet..of body and mind of course...tell your self firmly..."I'm gonna rid my self of this dis-ease!".what you and your mind can concieve and you can achieve!!No prob.

Forget what anyone says bout it.Just have the courage of your convictions and hit'er HARD!!I belive in you 100%!!I've always been the under dawg and tend to have the last laugh.

Hope that made any sense.

All tha best and welcome again!!

See you at the top!!

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:33AM

Taylor, this is enormously encouraging news!!!!!

The only thing I'd say is:

it's possible, just possible, that you were misdiagnosed and you were Type 2 rather than Type 1.

I say this ONLY because I heard Gabriel Cousens say that he felt this might have happened with one of his diabetics.

It's simply that I haven't heard yet of a Type 1 diabetic who's managed to get off insulin completely, although have heard of those who have reduced their need for it significantly (eg Robby Barbaro - a well-known 811-er).

Is there anyway you could get a second medical opinion as to what type of diabetes you had in the first place?

Put it this way - WHATEVER type you had, you are a truly inspirational success story, and I very excited for you.

But, if you DID have Type 1, you must tell the world - write a book! As, to date, the story seems to be that Type 2 can get off insulin completely, but that Type 1's can significantly reduce insulin, but not do without it altogether.

If you've proved that this is incorrect, you must let everyone, and not just those in raw food forums, know!

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:39AM

Hey Taylor,

Great job. I'm excited for you. If you go to rawfamily.com & read the newsletter about 'Clent' he also cured himself of diabetes although he was type2.

Anytime we can choose nutrition over pharmacology, we're better off. I hope you're monitoring it closely with a pros help.

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Posted by: rawbryan ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:40AM

Do you want to write a book or do a DVD Video about it with me? We can teach people and prove your story! Please e-mail me directly at rawbryan@gmail.com

My website [www.RawInTen.com] my girlfriend in College had Diabetes Type I since age 4 she was 27 when I met her so it was too late for her even though we tried and I wanted to cure her so badly that is what got me into RAW!

Please e-mail me! Rawbryan@gmail.com we can write a book about your experience/diet/what you are doing and help heal and teach people and a DVD Video would too! We can show the world the power of RAW and prove what you are doing, use the negative "banning" as inspiration and motivation, an "ending is a new beginning in disguise!" For example Gliving.com would film EVERY RAW CHEF but me and I lived in the area and responded to their Ads about filming RAW Chefs they never told me why they wouldn't or didn't want to with me, I got mad and did my OWN RAW FOOD TV SHOW, infomercial, DVDs, videos and got way more success and glad it happened the way it did so let it motivate you!

Just think of how many people you will help, save and more!

Raw Organic Chef Bryan Au

Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: January 23, 2009 09:51AM

The bigger the ad hominem reaction you get, the more you know your getting through to people.

Well done.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 23, 2009 12:36PM

how amazing. Well done Taylor - I wish you all the very best.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 23, 2009 12:43PM

Yeah, I think your doctor should absolutely write a case study. My initial thought was like others in that you were probably misdiagnosed type I instead of II. But if you are really type II there needs to be a paper written.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 23, 2009 03:03PM

Taylor,

This is phenomenal news! Stay strong and stay on track with this; clearly, whatever you're doing and whatever your disorder, your body is HAPPIER now than before! Arugula and debbietook are right--you should be working with a doctor to confirm your diagnosis and to chart your progress clinically for further benefit to you and to others. Good, good luck!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: January 23, 2009 04:50PM

Taylor--
That's spectacular! I am SO happy for you. Keep on knowing what you know, and don't let the detractors get to you. I believe you are absolutely right: you have healed yourself. The body and mind are so much more powerful than we have been led to believe. This is just wonderful proof. I hope the news spreads and others who have Type 1 and Type 2 will take heed and wean themselves off the poisons and heal their diabetes.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 23, 2009 05:15PM

Hey guys thanks so much for your support, its a welcome change from what I was getting at the diabetes forum, as for wether im type 1 or type 2, my doctor said the only thing she could think of was that I was misdiagnosed, BUT, I was diagnosed at age 14 and was a classic type 1 case, super skinny, frequent urination, extremely thirsty, everything pointed to type 1, so I dno

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: January 23, 2009 10:15PM

i believe anything can be completely healed....period.

Way to go Taylor!!

Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you.

todd

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 04:14AM

Neat!

I always assumed Type 1 diabetes would not be curable by diet alone. Type 1 is the kind people are born with, where the body simply doesn't produce insulin (or so I THINK- I'm doing this from memory...) Could it really be possible that this might be curable, after all?

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 25, 2009 12:27AM

Congrats Taylor!

"Don't let those who say it can’t be done get in the way of those who are doing it."

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 26, 2009 06:54PM

HI Taylor

keep up the great work
i am especially pleased to see that you are utilizing the link between exercise and maintaining stable levels

awesome! i am rooting for you all the way grinning smiley

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 27, 2009 02:25AM

I think it's awesome that you're taking control of your own health.

Good job. Please keep us all posted.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:39AM

Here's an interesting article about two young brothers that overcame Type 1 Diabetes by following an alkalarian diet.

[articlesofhealth.blogspot.com]

Date: March 17, 2009 10:54PM

Taylor this is exciting. How are you doing now? Can you tell me what Breakfast crusts are? I am interested in what you have been doing. You can email me if you want.

Posted by: Stormyone66 ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:20AM

This is quite interesting. My mother was a Type 1 diabetic and died at the age of 51 (she was diagnosed at the age of 12). Ever since I've been interested in a cure. I am currently a nursing student and my anatomy teacher concedes that the disease is now considered autoimmune. Usually it is preceded by a trauma to the body such as a battle with a virus. Interestingly enough, my mother had a bout of Scarlet Fever just a few months before she displayed the symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes.

If you are truly Type 1 and you are able to control your BS through this diet then I wonder if its possible that your pancreas is rebuilding? That gives us all hope as I am also afflicted with an autoimmune disease that manifests in my thyroid.

Anyway...thank you for the inspiration.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:48PM

Stormyone66,

What an intriguing post! This hypothesis makes sense, though I've never heard it before. I wish you luck in your mother's healing journey.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 18, 2009 07:01PM

Hey TaylorH -- Congrats!!! My mom cured her Type II Diabetes with her diet because she was so afraid of the insulin they said she was going to need that she quickly changed her diet. She was diagnosed a year ago.

Date: March 22, 2009 02:03PM

Would really like to hear of others who have done well working with type 1 diabetes? Is Taylor still around? Wondering how she is now?

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:08AM

There was a guy at the movie 30-days raw and he manage to decrease his insulin with alot! And he had type 1

Date: March 23, 2009 06:44AM

Good work Taylor! How old are you now? Did you follow Dr. Gabriel Cousens program?

Posted by: windy ()
Date: March 23, 2009 01:07PM

Before insulin was invented I believe diabetes was treated with healthy diet..

If I remember correctly the results were "semi-good" the patients lived longer, but didn't ever get cured completely. ie. production of own insulin didn't start again..

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 23, 2009 03:29PM

That's incredible. I am so happy for you Taylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables