Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Oats?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: December 29, 2010 12:54PM

Sorry if you discussed this previously - I'll do a search - but what's the general consensus on eating Raw Oats? Do they make for Brain Fog the next day or mucus-forming? Do they contain some vitamin or mineral we need? Any good recipes - I'll check out the Recipe Forum for that. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 01:02PM by KidRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Oats?
Posted by: Zenstorm ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:36PM

I occasionally eat raw soaked oat groats. I make a sweet breakfast dish and a spicy lunch/dinner. I never get brain fog or mucus from them. Let me know if you want the recipes.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:59PM

You wont get brain fog from them and there not a mucus forming food from what ive readsmiling smiley.

Date: December 29, 2010 03:43PM

Yes, I'd like any recipes. Do you think the Raw Rolled Oats are too processed for us because I'd rather eat them than the oat groats and they'd be better in recipes, I think.

There's a savory Oriental Oats recipe that I used to eat when SAD that maybe could be adapted to raw --

Oriental Oats

1 to 2 C chopped or sliced veg - onions, sprouts, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
oil or butter
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c liquid - broth stock or water with 1 T soy sauce

Saute vegetables in oil. Coat oats with eggs and cook in remaining oil until dry and separate, 3 to 5 minutes. Add liquid and vegetables. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 29, 2010 04:15PM

I think raw oats are fine. If you want them sproutable, be sure to look for "oat groats" which are whole oats. Best to soak them for 12 hours or so and drain them at 12 hour cycles for up to 36 hours to increase their nutritional value. One good place to buy organic oat groats outside of your local health food store is either Bob's Red Mill or Homegrown Harvest. [www.bobsredmill.com][www.homegrownharvest.com]

If you want a really easy raw oat breakfast, try cinnamon oatmeal (from Soria's Raw Revolution), 1 cup oat groats, 1/2 apple, 2 tablespoons of filtered water, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of raisins. Combine the ingredients except the raisins in a food processor with an S blade and process. Add the raisins and process for 10 seconds. Serve with almond milk or hemp milk. Delicious. Note: Ani Phyo has a similar recipe except with banana in place of the apple and cinnamon. It's a tad thicker. Both are good.

Paul

Posted by: Non ()
Date: December 29, 2010 10:16PM

IM not sure Bob's red Mill is raw. I called them I think and they told me it was not raw, it had to be heat processed. The only really raw oats I've found were from my local farmer's market and they are AWESOME!!!

I'd like to find non-sweet oat recipes though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2010 10:18PM

Flaked oats have had the germ of the grain exposed which means oxidization of those oils. Not great. You can buy a grain flaker if you want them to be flaked and also want them to be raw.
I've never liked soaked oat groats myself, they are pasty tasting. Not fresh and yummy but certainly very filling if that's what you're after. Might be good in dehydrator recipes too.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 29, 2010 11:35PM

I love soaked raw oat groats. smiling smiley

Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 30, 2010 04:15AM

any savoury non-sweet recipes? it's just my problem that I dont like a lot of sweet things and I wondered about something oaty and savoury...

Date: December 30, 2010 03:49PM

Non Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IM not sure Bob's red Mill is raw. I called them I
> think and they told me it was not raw, it had to
> be heat processed. The only really raw oats I've
> found were from my local farmer's market and they
> are AWESOME!!!
>
> I'd like to find non-sweet oat recipes though.

Non,

You make a good point. I am going to call Bob's Red Mill and ask about the heat processing specifically what temperature (> 115*?). The other question of course is even if heat processed is whether or not you can sprout it. Homegrown Harvest oat groats are definitely sproutable. [www.homegrownharvest.com]

"Organic Oat Groats - 7 lbs
Oats, like barley, have a hard outer hull that must be removed before it’s ready for human consumption. Even though the outer hull of an oat kernel comes off easier than a barley kernel’s hull, it’s still not within reach of the average consumer to accomplish this. For this reason, if you want whole oats to eat, purchase them already hulled. Hulled oats, called oat groats, look very much like rye or Triticale. Unlike barley which must have it’s hull sanded off damaging the seed, an oat groat kernel’s outer bran layer is still intact after de-hulling. This somewhat protects the inner nutrients and also permits it to sprout. From this stage of processing, oats are most often rolled. Sometimes they are cut into two to four pieces before rolling and are called quick rolled oats."

Date: December 30, 2010 04:01PM

Just got off the phone with Carol at Bob's Red Mill. Non is right the oat groats there are heat treated up to 100 degrees briefly. So, they are "raw" but not sproutable? Doesn't make sense to me. Apparently once picked oat groats can go rancid because of an enzyme? Yet the Homegrown Harvest oat groats are sproutable. don't completely understand. Anyway, hope that helps.

Paul

Posted by: Pedro101 ()
Date: April 27, 2011 10:25AM

Check out my post about where to find raw rolled oats. I found that "un-steamed" oats were really hard to find so I put a few links together... Hope it helps!
[321healthy.blogspot.com]

Date: April 29, 2011 08:40PM

Thanks, Pete! I'm enjoying your website - especially the music.

Posted by: Pedro101 ()
Date: May 02, 2011 08:31PM

Thanks Kid Raw!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables