Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Cheapest Way To Be A Raw Foodist?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2009 11:46AM

Hi, I'm new here and I'm nowhere near being a raw foodist at this point because I'm not sure how to go about it cheaply. I believe being a raw foodist is the healthiest diet out there and having some health issues myself, I really, really want to become one. What is the cheapest way I could do it though? My mother and I have around $330 month for food, would this be enough? If anyone could tell me the cheapest recipies or the cheapest way to go about this I would really appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Cheapest Way To Be A Raw Foodist?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 30, 2009 11:57AM

recipes would not be inexpensive.

go to farmers markets / farm stands and buy by the case.
or
start a coop

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 30, 2009 12:23PM

Watch for the ripe and ready to eat bananas.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 30, 2009 12:28PM

Tips:

1) Locate many markets in your area. Buy on sales only.
2) Make the bulk of your diet staple greens or fruits like Cabbage, apples, bananas, etc. Buy things which are under .99 / lb. Heh...it's a lot cheaper than meat....and in many cases...cheaper than most pasta.
3) Sprout: Buy bulk grains and make your own sprouts of your choosing
4) Grow: Grow your own micro greens and herbs.
5) Scout: Check out your neighborhoods for fruit trees. Ask those neighbors for some when they are in season.
6) Get a significant other to buy you food and feed you. If people love you, they just might! smiling smiley
7) Find markets with dented and wilted stuff. Smaller markets will often sell you this stuff and a deep discount...or just GIVE it away (if you know the guy!)
8) Get a part-time job in the morning at a local fruit stand unloading the truck. Or just volunteer for a few pounds of produce.
9) A cheap recipe would be mixed, julienned cabbage marinated in lime juice and tossed with spouts and sunflower seeds.

-Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 30, 2009 04:32PM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watch for the ripe and ready to eat bananas.
EZ....How much money could you save by eating
ripe bananas?
Jada4Prez.....Many Raw Foodists here practically live on
Bananas. It'll stretch your food budget.......WY

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: January 30, 2009 04:53PM

in addition to the above posts

I would probably set your sites on a transition diet. that eliminates the most unhealthful foods and is based around sprouts then your grow yourself and the corser non gluten grains that can be purchased in bulk. other foods that would function well and are cheap are various yams and potatoes (when purchased non-organic). I would probably throw the whole idea of organic food off the radar for awhile and not stress over it.

What you quoted works out to about $5.50 per person per day. seems pretty challenging even to meet the dollar-menu diet. But with some of the previous suggestions is potentially doable.

anything left over after the above would be go to fresh tender leafy greens like romaine and butter lettuce - Probably split one a day at least - and other vegetables.

try to find stores which sell darker leafy greens by the pound as opposed to the bunch and blend with sprouts or in season fruits like oranges.

good luck!

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 30, 2009 06:42PM

My hubby works at the local co-op, and I do member hours. Between these two things we do, our discount is pretty hefty (over 20%), including sale items. Also, any food that is culled (read produce) goes to a bin for employees to take home for free. Between this and gardening/farming, we eat all organic pretty cheaply.

Date: January 30, 2009 08:01PM

Any ideas as to how much it is to eat a 3000 cal 811rv diet up here in canada???

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 30, 2009 08:18PM

do you have anywhere where you can grow some food?

Date: January 30, 2009 10:17PM

In the garden in the summer, but I was referring to the cost of buying the food at a store.
I can get 30 bananas for about $10, so I am guessing around $15.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: January 31, 2009 12:43AM

Here in berkeley, I eat tons of organic produce for free out of dumpsters. I don't know if that is practical in other areas.

Posted by: Wies0087 ()
Date: January 31, 2009 02:21AM

I stopped buying the more expensive nuts and instead I eat flaxseed for omega 3's and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for iron. They are both SO cheap in bulk.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:11AM

I as well dumpster all my produce. Sometimes I'll buy the occasional produce if I don't usually ever see it in the dumpster and my body is craving it.

I spend my money mostly on bulk items like natural soap, seeds and nuts.

I think the best places to dumpster produce would be chain grocery stores. Trader Joe's (if you have one in your area) is known for throwing out lots and lots of food.

Definitely research dumpster diving.

Most of the time I don't even have to go in the dumpster because there are left over donations that no one wants (they are usually left in grocery carts).

Some tips for dumpster diving:
You may find lots of candy and @#$%&. That stuff should STAY in the dumpster
Have dumpster etiquette; don't leave a mess, take only what you need
Be respectful; if somebody asks you to leave, just do it. You don't want to get into trouble and you can always come back another night (or day) when someone else is working
Don't be discouraged if you don't find anything. Some nights are better than others during the week.

My last dumpster dive I found: lots and lots of flowers!, blueberries, strawberries, bananas (plenty!), zuchini, bag of greens, peaches, pears, and probably more that I can't think of.

Happy dumpstering!

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: January 31, 2009 04:56AM

Very smart idea. Funny on how ones person garbage is another persons meal.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 31, 2009 09:49PM

It's seriously immoral how much good food gets thrown out. Glad you guys are benefitting from it and helping to reduce the insanity at the same time!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 01, 2009 10:48PM

What great advice! I didn't start this thread but wanted to thank everyone who offered ideas. So many times, I log on and read stuff that answers questions I didn't think to ask.

Thanks everyone!

Date: February 02, 2009 01:36AM

The Cheapest Way To Be A Raw Foodist?

Become a breatharian.

Make sure to write a will first though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables