Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dangers of being a sedentary author
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2009 04:11PM

First of all one should not call themselves a "teacher" when all one does is make normative statements. A true teacher explains an aspect of reality to the student with such depth, that the student is able to make their own conclusions and with confidence. Also the student doesn't avoid things out of fear but out of understanding and rationality.

There are very few raw food teachers. Our friend is no exception. He is a raw food PROPONENT. Lets not forget that. One wonders if our friend would be so adamant and demonstrative in the forums if he didn't have a "brand spanking new fresh be all end all answer to all of the eating questions ever" book to get the word out about.

Pfft!

The audacity! You want to read a book written by a man who engages in a sedentary lifestyle, is out of shape and looks very down and exhausted in his videos? Great! Go for it! I'm not stopping you.

What you will get is a lot of common sense info you already knew "don't eat when it's dark" "don't stress yourself out" and so on, and then a few mentions about the fact that "we live in a sub-optimal world today where supplements are needed. it just so happens that I have found a brand that is by far superior than all the rest because ___________. You can place orders at __________." "This is about your health folks, be serious. It's not time to do "fun" diets."

Unfortunately there are thousands of books on raw food by now and I can promise anything from someone who doesn't have any kind of familiarity or knowledge of biochemistry, has done any research or studied any new scientific inquiries, isn't going to provide you with any new answers.

It would be absurd to assume otherwise.

This isn't to say that you MUST be an expert to provide knowledge and help people...this isn't so. Some of the biggest advancements come from the "amateurs" in various fields. The point is that when the extent to one's "research" is looking up passages in "the good book" and repeating obvious truths we all KNOW to be true already, there really isn't much value in putting out a book...or for anyone to make a purchase, now is there?

I could write such a book...ANYONE could...but unfortunately it's been written before. People don't need to read what to do...they need to be motivated, and they need to have the good produce and fruits available to consume and at decent prices. They need to have the corner fast food joints replaced with produce stands and salad bars. They need to form communities and so on...and it's all slowly happening. We are all doing very well in fact, and it's because of each one of us individually connecting...the internet has been a huge part of the success of the movement of getting healthy and raw...not any one author or book.

What frustrates me is when someone has a different opinion, and BECAUSE they are trying to sell their product, book, supplement or whatever other rubbish they are peddling at the time, they begin to attack other disciplines that differ from theirs.

We can't have that. There is nothing wrong with promoting something. And there is nothing wrong with arguing against something...WHEN YOU HAVE EVIDENCE AND REASON TO DO SO...but to simply make statements about something without giving reason or any indication that one has understanding of what they are saying is blasphemy.

In this case we have the constant attack on fruit. As if there is such a thing as "too much fruit."
Has anyone ever heard of someone getting diabetes from eating too much fruit? Cancer? Acidosis? The Great Siberian Itch? Anything?

No, and yet we are told that when we do have these conditions we must cease or ease up on fruit consumption. Funny thing is, the science doesn't even support this.
The studies done on whole fruit consumption AMAZINGLY has shown that when high fruit and veggie diets are consumed they reduce the risk of diabetes MORE than high veggie low fruit diets. Likewise with other conditions. The only reason we are fruit phobic is because we are sugar phobic. And the only reason we are sugar phobic is because we have seen what happens when too much processed sugar is consumed...but that is quite a difference now isn't it...between refined sugar, and ripe natural fruit.

When carbohydrates are found with vitamins, minerals, co-factors, fiber and so on...the cease to be "just sugar." There is no such thing as "sugar is sugar is sugar" because you define something based on what it does...when sugar is found complexed with vitamins, minerals and so on...it behaves completely different than when found in isolation. Sure the sugar is still sugar. Just like a tuba is still a tuba no matter where you go, but when you happen to stumble into an auditorium where the tuba is found with french horns, violins, a piano, and cello...there is no longer just the tuba...it plays a role, but it is no longer able to be argued that "a tuba is a tuba is a tuba."

Our good friend who is trying to sell us his "education" should probably first educate himself, and get himself in better shape and do something about the lethargy and exhaustion he exhibits in his videos. Problem is, it's really hard to have the energy to exercise and be awake and aware and alive when you eat calorie deficient foods and have to result to sub-par foods to compensate for the calories.

I could care less what everyone here thinks about "too much fruit"...but I would have not made my own switch onto a high fruit diet if I hadn't by chance stumbled upon this notion a few years back. So I'm just reciprocating the deed. Unlike our good friend, I have nothing to sell.

I have yet to find one actual REASON that our good friend has to not eat fruit. The extent of his argument is basically "it's just not sensible."

Not sensible? What eating grains is? Where in nature do we find humans or primates picking tiny grains with their clumsy fingers? Where do we find humans or primates foraging for high amounts of nuts and seeds? I would like to know what is "sensible."

It's amazing how everyone who says we can't get all our nutrition from nature is ALWAYS selling something. And then there are those...myself included...who have never taken a supplement, never taken a pill, don't need superfoods, cacao, yaccao, maccao, chaccao, or any other cao, are raw and are VERY athletic and can handle actually lifting some weight...or doing more than say...5 pushups....lol...which I am not confident our good friend could do...

There is a very relevant saying: "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

But believe what you want.

Personally though, I never felt right simply believing something. I'll leave that up to the zealots.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dangers of being a sedentary author
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 02, 2009 04:31PM

absolutely brilliant.

thanks for saving me the time (about 2 weeks) to compose what you said above.

and this whole teacher thing is so insulting and is an attempt to raise some people above and rob people of their power.

as if mr X is a Teacher because he's eaten raw food for a few years and shares his experience? please.

we don't need teachers like that.

we need people who inspire others to find out for themselves from Nature and from questioning what they've been taught and unlearning and sharing with others.

or simply pointing out that decades ago people came up with Natural hygiene science that forms the base from which to make decisions. instead of trying to question, should i eat this, or this, or do this or this. that the body is self healing and self maintaining and its not so much about the food.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 02, 2009 08:08PM

Naul Pison wrote.....
> ...The audacity! You want to read a book written by a
> man who engages in a sedentary lifestyle, is out
> of shape and looks very down and exhausted in his
> videos? Great! Go for it! I'm not stopping you.
I agree we should go by 'looks'. I've seen
pictures of Paul Nison looking very fit and athletic.
He's just trying to make a living doing something he
loves. I've seen other role models (men and women) who
look fantastic. They're always thin, toned, and tanned,
with a very intelligent face, and a nice head of hair......WY

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 02, 2009 10:54PM

Excellent post!! Excellent post!!

YOU should be writing books. I'll buy a Naul Pison book anyday over a Paul Nison crock. Lol!

Date: February 02, 2009 10:58PM

Bryan, we got a troll here. Time to take out the trash.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 02, 2009 11:13PM

What the hell? I don't understand this post, or why posts are so vague, like we're all supposed to know the inner thinkings of every member of this board and know every post that occurred to lead up to this point. Most of us have better things to do with our time, and come on these boards to chat or look for posts that interest us. If you want to write something interesting, make it more specific and less vague. I don't want to read about your dislike for MR. X's books, whoever the hell that is.

Date: February 03, 2009 03:04AM

Ironically the author of this post probably spent a lot of time sitting on his ass to write it. heh

Posted by: EricJohannes ()
Date: February 05, 2009 03:03PM

"The audacity! You want to read a book written by a man who engages in a sedentary lifestyle, is out of shape and looks very down and exhausted in his videos? Great! Go for it! I'm not stopping you."

Not cool.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 05, 2009 04:42PM

>"The audacity! You want to read a book written by a man who engages in a sedentary lifestyle, is out of shape and looks very down and exhausted in his videos? Great! Go for it! I'm not stopping you."

Not cool.<

Well gee, judgmental, much? I wondered what all the fuss was about, so I went to Google to check out PN's images and to Youtube to watch a couple of his videos, and to me the guy looks fine. I don't see any rolls of flab or haggard skintone. What's with all this talk about how bad the guy looks?

Look, I didn't appreciate his provocative and self-serving posts either, but that's no excuse to get snarky about his physical appearance. There needs to be a little bit of restraint on this board in terms of putting people down. Hundreds of thousands of people come to this board and see how we interact and converse with each other, and it reflects on the raw food diet. THAT's what's 'not cool' in my opinion.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 05, 2009 07:50PM

Well! Color me humiliated at the smiting hands of...what's your name again?..Kwan!

No, you're the one who's being judgmental. But hey, we're all judgmental, right? Come on, you know you are. Just admit it. I'm sure that if you really work that brain you can unearth a judgmental weak spot or two in your well meaning, yet infinitely flawed soul, don't you think?

When I said "not cool," I referred to the OP's need to take cheap shots while using a person's physical appearance. That's definitely "not cool" in my world. Comprende? I can see how you could come to your conclusion since my response was not totally clear, but considering that you don't know me at all, I don't understand why you never considered the other, more likely interpretation. You know my name and that's it. I was judging the OP, not Paul Nison. I enjoy Paul Nison's work and have zero problem with him posting his opinions anywhere. Or better yet, and if you're a "the glass is half full" kind of person, I was actually rushing to the defense of the physically imperfect and defending their right to be considered competent and knowledgeable on the topic of health. After all, it's been known to happen. I was also commenting on the unfounded and unfair assumptions that the OP made regarding Mr. Nison's lifestyle.

Have a nice day. And don't worry about me, I've already overcome and forgiven your attempt at a random act of internet admonishment. Maybe you should go smoke a joint or something. You know what I mean? Loosen up a little?

P.S. "Hundreds of thousands" of people come to this board?

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: February 05, 2009 10:06PM

EricJohannes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well! Color me humiliated at the smiting hands
> of...what's your name again?..Kwan!
>
> No, you're the one who's being judgmental. But
> hey, we're all judgmental, right? Come on, you
> know you are. Just admit it. I'm sure that if you
> really work that brain you can unearth a
> judgmental weak spot or two in your well meaning,
> yet infinitely flawed soul, don't you think?
>
> When I said "not cool," I referred to the OP's
> need to take cheap shots while using a person's
> physical appearance. That's definitely "not cool"
> in my world. Comprende? I can see how you could
> come to your conclusion since my response was not
> totally clear, but considering that you don't know
> me at all, I don't understand why you never
> considered the other, more likely interpretation.
> You know my name and that's it. I was judging the
> OP, not Paul Nison. I enjoy Paul Nison's work and
> have zero problem with him posting his opinions
> anywhere. Or better yet, and if you're a "the
> glass is half full" kind of person, I was actually
> rushing to the defense of the physically imperfect
> and defending their right to be considered
> competent and knowledgeable on the topic of
> health. After all, it's been known to happen. I
> was also commenting on the unfounded and unfair
> assumptions that the OP made regarding Mr. Nison's
> lifestyle.
>
> Have a nice day. And don't worry about me, I've
> already overcome and forgiven your attempt at a
> random act of internet admonishment. Maybe you
> should go smoke a joint or something. You know
> what I mean? Loosen up a little?
>
> P.S. "Hundreds of thousands" of people come to
> this board?

I could be mistaken but I think Kwan was agreeing with you and used your post as an example. I understood it that she was refering to the original poster but was agreeing with you that it was indeed "not cool" to post what the OP posted.

Kwan isn't one of the "usual suspects" by any means!

RB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 10:09PM by richard blackman.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 05, 2009 10:07PM

I have nothing against marijuana, but I don't think it's acceptable to advocate illegal substances on this website.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 05, 2009 11:01PM

Naul Pison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> ...> We can't have that. There is nothing wrong with
> promoting something. And there is nothing wrong
> with arguing against something...WHEN YOU HAVE
> EVIDENCE AND REASON TO DO SO...but to simply make
> statements about something without giving reason
> or any indication that one has understanding of
> what they are saying is blasphemy.
>
> In this case we have the constant attack on fruit.
> As if there is such a thing as "too much fruit."
> Has anyone ever heard of someone getting diabetes
> from eating too much fruit? Cancer? Acidosis? The
> Great Siberian Itch? Anything?
>
> No...

..now to me this is the real Paul Nison, seriously.

Date: February 06, 2009 12:05AM

Acckkkkk! You're right, Eric! I completely mis-read your message. (Blush.) Sorry. I've been barreling through these posts lately at record speed because I've been busy and preoccupied with outside interests, and this is a good example of what happens when I don't take time to thoughtfully answer, as well as a gentle reminder to me not to be a pompous a**. ;-)

Again, I apologize for my mistake.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 06, 2009 02:24PM

Kwan's cool.

Date: February 06, 2009 03:16PM

Why thank you, Eric. I've gotta stay 'cool'-- I'm a jazz musician! ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 08, 2009 08:59AM

NAUL PISON?

what's up with the scrabble letter changing manipulation?

Date: February 08, 2009 01:30PM

>what's up with the scrabble letter changing manipulation?<

Maybe someone's got cabin fever and too much time on their hands. ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 08, 2009 01:33PM

> NAUL PISON?
>
> what's up with the scrabble letter changing
> manipulation?

Good question, I wondered if this might be Paul Nison's alter ego,
but have since come across someone on another forum claiming to be
the real Naul Pison, seems to me as a tit-for-tat for Paul Nison's
mauling of "30 Bananas a Day".

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 08, 2009 01:41PM

there are many things that each of us may not like about someones post.

1. some people may not like it when someone gets personal

2. some people may not like it when someone seems to distort facts for personal promotion.

those of you who are dismissing the original post here because of 1.,
may want to consider the very valid points brought up instead. and to consider the damage that can occur when gullible people follow a "prominent" persons illogical contradictory ideas.

Date: February 08, 2009 02:31PM

..the message can be considered apart from the delivery, of which the sig is a part.

Naul Pison seems to be a very bright fellow. He's currently on an "iodine" thread I'm following in another forum, and has this to say on iodine:

"Indeed goiters can be caused by many things. For instance if you expose yourself to colder temperatures for an extended period of time this will cause thyrotropin-releasing hormone to act on --> hypothalamus which acts on --> thyroid to increase chemical thermogenesis...basically increasing core temperature to compensate. But this has been known to cause goiters.

"More common though is probably the competitive inhibition between iodine and thiocyanate ions, perchlorate ions, and nitrate ions. When this happens thyroid hormone doesn't get produced because there is no iodine present where it needs to be. Yet the low levels of thyroid hormone lead the thalamus to continue pumping out Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, which leads to a vicious cycle resulting in an enlarged thyroid gland, and pathology.

"There really is a problem, however, with true iodine deficiency though which needs to be taken seriously. And this problem can't really be fixed by any specific food, because as my friend C Dove pointed out, it's a mineral which is not necessary for overt plant health, and because of this low levels of it are quite unnoticed in foods. What matters is the soils where they're grown. What soils are poor? Soils that have had recent glaciation, are near river deltas, flood often, or are subject to industrialized farming where soil depletion is common. In coastal regions, especially in South America there is relatively little problem. Italy, France Spain have fine levels of it. England, Switzerland and parts of Africa not so hot. As long as we eat foods from a variety of locations, it is very unlikely that we will get these very serious iodine deficiency problems as vegans.
But, there is no shame in testing one's self and double checking.

"Fortunately much like other nutrients, amino acids come to mind presently, our body will conserve iodine based on the situation. In the thyroid it can increase its relative concentration tens and even hundreds of times what it is in the blood depending on how much we are providing each day. This huge buffer region serves as a great way of minimizing the pathology associated with low iodine levels. When you introduce iodized salt though, it comes with a price. Number one, you don't want to consume salt anyways, but number two...it all the sudden becomes a risk of too much iodine, which is probably a much more common problem than low iodine. And often times the symptoms are identical...enlarged thyroid, low levels of activity and lethargy, stunted growth, bla bla bla. ..."

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 08, 2009 02:45PM

I'll second that. I've just been reading 'Naul' on iodine. And, living in England, he's outlined quite a good argument here for the benefits of NOT restricting oneself to local produce!

BTW, just to forestall any confusion, Naul Pison is a pseudonym (as people might have guessed) for a very knowledgeable medical student on the 30Bananas forum. But there is ANOTHER Naul Pison on there who is a pseudonym for a (also very knowledgeable) Natural Hygienist advocate on there. Aaagh, all these Naul Pisons! Now who started all this? :-)

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 08, 2009 03:24PM

Debbie, "Aaagh, all these Naul Pisons! Now who started all this? :-)"

lol!!

I think Paul Nison started it. Hee hee!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables