Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you wash Greens?
Posted by: Rawie ()
Date: February 06, 2009 07:01AM

I used to soak my greens (esp. herbs) in white distilled vinegar for a few mins before rinsing them off with distilled water. Then, I read that white distilled vinegar is derived from yeast. I'm allergic to yeast. So, now I just flash rinse them with medium hot tap water followed by cold/room temperature distilled water.

Just wonder what you guys do to clean your greens before consumption? Is there a cheaper alternative than veggie wash?

-thx in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you wash Greens?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 06, 2009 10:10AM

I wash my greens with filtered water from my tap - as thoroughly as possible - and then spin them in my salad spinner.

Some people don't wash at all, but I think washing is good - especially where I live - since lately there have been outbreaks of angiostronglyiasis (eosinophilic meningitis or rat lung worm) - a parasite that damages the nervous system and is transmitted to humans via slugs on the greens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 10:14AM by suncloud.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 06, 2009 10:15AM

I don't wash organic greens when they're for my own use. I do for others only because they might prefer it.

Posted by: artbyart ()
Date: February 06, 2009 02:13PM

My wife, who was raised in China, says that many Chinese wash their vegetables in a saltwater solution. I noticed how my wife washes every single spinach leaf individualy and thoroughly. I used to just give the whole bunch a quick rinsing when I was single.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:20PM

> lately there have been outbreaks of angiostronglyiasis (eosinophilic meningitis or rat lung worm) - a parasite that damages the nervous system and is transmitted to humans via slugs on the greens.<

Eek! That sounds pretty serious, Suncloud. Guess I'll start being a bit more careful with washing my greens. I wash them, but with haste, and not very thoroughly. This week I started using a vinegar and water rinse for my vegetables and greens, but I still wonder how much good that does.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:25PM

artbyart,

What ratio of water to salt does your wife use in her solution? Salt is probably very effective for all kinds of nasty wasties!

kwan,

10% white vinegar:90% water works well as a ten minute soak to kill a wide variety of bad things, but in the case of parasites, I'd also do a vigorous shower under water to rinse them away, to be sure.

Waiting for the Natural Hygienicists to weigh in on how eating bacteria-laden trace manure is good for our B12 stores smiling smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:59PM

same as Debbie

Table Salt or Sea Salt? [was Re: How do you wash Greens?]
Date: February 06, 2009 07:29PM

How much salt? Table Salt is dirt cheap, but it's got iodine, and I think you have to use a LOT in order to be effective. Vinegar is probably still more feasible solution.

Date: February 06, 2009 07:33PM

Yeah, I also wash leaf by leaf. Some greens tend to be more slimy or waxy than others; they tend to build up near the roots. I also notice it's very common to find clusters of bugs on kales.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 06, 2009 09:00PM

It's nice to find bugs isn't it because then you know your greens haven't been sprayed with horrible 'icides

Date: February 06, 2009 09:22PM

That is a very good point! I probably consumed a few of them and get my B12 by accident as well. LOL!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 09, 2009 06:35AM

I buy mostly conventional produce, I give it a precursory rinse first with tap water when it's just for me, and I am more careful with preparing food when I make it for others.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 09, 2009 06:39PM

i'm pretty sure that vinegar has no actual disinfectant properties guys.

those of you who have read the story of my sister's bout with a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad parasite know that i wash things pretty carefully. but even i have been known to do with just a quick rinse now and then.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 09, 2009 10:53PM

I had a really bad parasite for at least a decade. It nearly killed me before my doctor figured out what was wrong.

Parasite infection is often passed through feces contamination, and many farms do not have clean toilet and washing facilities available for pickers.

So along with those minute traces of B12 (which I don't believe are sufficient anyway), people who don't wash their food can ingest parasite eggs.

I'd be willing to bet that most people who have that experience (and survive) now wash their food. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 10:58PM by suncloud.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 10, 2009 04:17AM

When I first went veg (about 20 years ago) I was eagerly buying new foods I had never eaten previously.

I have a very vivid memory of my first batch of kale. I gave it the usual perfunctory rinse and then a light steaming.

And then I put it on my plate and a little on my fork. It was almost in my mouth when I saw the caterpillars. Bunches and bunches of them all over the place. They survived both the near-useless rinse and very light steaming.

It put me off kale for a long long long time!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 14, 2009 03:09PM

coco,
I got this from the Self Healing Expressions website:

Disinfect with Vinegar
The disinfectant properties of vinegar have been verified by numerous studies including those conducted by the Good Housekeeping Institute, as reported on 48 hours (on CBS) in 2000. A straight 5% solution of vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of viruses, however in the USA, it cannot be declare a disinfectant without registering it as a pesticide with the EPA. Having said that, mix distilled white vinegar (found in any supermarket) with water and keep spray bottles of this non-toxic disinfectant in your bathrooms and kitchen - to disinfect and clean.

Crazy about its having to be registered as a pesticide if it's to be sold as a disinfectant, huh?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables