Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

drinking sea salt in water after exercise??
Posted by: willows101 ()
Date: February 11, 2009 02:19PM

I was wondering when is the best time to include my salt in the day.
After an hour workout, is it wise to drink a couple glasses of water with
some sea salt added in?

any excerise tips on that?
thank so much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drinking sea salt in water after exercise??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2009 12:45AM

I like salt on my food not in my water personally. winking smiley

If you're trying to replenish electrolytes after a workout try coconut water.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 12, 2009 04:12PM

Why eat tiny searocks when you can drink celeryjuice? 4 stalks and you're done!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:26AM

When sea salt is processed it losses its iodine to evaporation. Unless the mineral is chemically added back, commonly as potassium iodide, sea salt will not contain it, at least that's what I've gathered.

"Many people have replaced processed iodized salt with sea salt, an obvious healthy alternative, except that sea salt does not naturally contain a significant amount of iodine."

[www.naturalnews.com]

My Baleine brand sea salt is labeled: "This salt does not supply iodide, a necessary nutrient"

Other than that, I say go for the salt (or celerywinking smiley) in moderate amounts any time. It's "high salt" that is the problem, imo.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:43AM

I like to get natural plant chelated salt by eating celery. I frequently cut an avocado in half and use celery stalks as a "spoon' or "boat" and eat some ripe avocado and a lot of celery that way. I also like juicing celery as Healthybun mentioned above.

Date: February 13, 2009 04:09AM

I just tried an interesting experiment that you might try.
As communitybuilder posted above the coconut is a great electrolyte replenishment food.
I started by blending (VM) a fresh young coconut juice & pulp. Then I added the celery tops, and scrap stalk ends left over from a bunch of celery that I was trying to find a way to use rather then compost. The drink tasted good and putting the celery into the drink boosts the total natural sodium up nicely.
After a good sweat workout that should give you a super electrolyte replenishment.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: February 13, 2009 04:33AM

I don't personally follow it but I think there is some information out there that adding salt to water is a good way to get minerals and its better not to salt foods. This is mostly a 'foods from nature' type of site so probably look into Daniel? Vitalis or someone like that.

I can say with some certainty that you don't need to worry about tailoring your hydration based on electrolytes. just make sure you STAY hydrated during exercise. following exercise just decide on which foods to follow that with based on your diet..either juicy fruits or or fats or protein or whatever you do normally and think is the most health forming.

I personally think celery and lettuce based juices are great for hydration and for the blood/overall health. usually something I do before I work out or in between if I am home.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Posted by: willows101 ()
Date: February 13, 2009 06:16AM

you guys are the best! thank you

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 14, 2009 11:17AM

anaken
I think that adding seasalt to water is better than to food. But I also think that greensmoothie/juice will be better than any of those previous alternatives. Right?

Something can be "good" for you, but there will always be a "better" alternative.

Date: February 14, 2009 04:20PM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Something can be "good" for you, but there will
> always be a "better" alternative.

well..some people believe that drinking water actually robs the body of minerals. but the idea that for everyone in any case water is bad for them is a little misguided. So while on the individual level you may be right, as one can always strive higher...I don't really agree with your statement universally.

these guys like Vitalis. Wofe etc...they are all about getting an abundance of minerals into the system and minimizing bulk/matter. for them it doesn't seem to matter that the minerals are technically inorganic. You would have to take it up with them. heh. I think there is some kind of vibration/alchemy/consciousness/synergistic component but that is also only something I have my own intuitive understanding - which I am presently not guided by - of but I'm kinda a don't knock it till you tried it type dude.

but most camps accept that water that is not in raw food has no active ions, electrolytes or minerals bound with nutrients so it's not exactly 'live' either but doesn't make it 'bad' .

its also thought by some that because of this, 90% of water just circulates without absorption. and will leach nutrients from the body. Some say water acts as a solvent..but there is also information that it actually re-embeds waste tissue in the body, and that fats are actually what removes tissue and lubricate us (our 'thirst').

personally I think freshly made raw vegetable juices are the best source of absorbable minerals and should function OK exclusively if no other habits are causing the body to LOSE minerals. It is also my belief that most plant fiber is not well digested especially when mixed with fruits so I don't think thats a great substitute at all, but thats just my opinion. Tomatoes work great as is wadging/spiting celery for the Luddites. I have used things like sea vegetables, probably not to my detriment but perhaps not necessary or healthful as the 'consequences'. who knows?

but someone else might think this is 100% crap, so I really can't agree with what you said = )

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 04:26PM by anaken.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:48PM

anaken,

I'm sorry--I am fully conversant in English but what in the heck is this about?:

Tomatoes work great as is wadging/spiting celery for the Luddites.

Healthybun,

In general agree with the idea that one can always do "better," whatever that means in a particular context, and I specifically agree with you here: I think juiced veg are an optimum way to receive assimilable minerals, including sodium. It's water, it's salts, it's alkaloids, it's all there. And isn't it a basic tenet of rawism that it's best to get a nutrient this way than in an isolated form?

Date: February 14, 2009 06:13PM

As a supplement or replacement of juice..for hydration: sucking on tomatoes or masticating celery pushing against the palette, straining juice and spitting out the waste as animals do. I was using the term Luddites a bit sarcastically to refer to those that are against and/or in fear of technology, whether that technology is new, old, quantifiable or non quantifiable. Usually refers to machinery but can even be applied to anything that does not exist in the 'natural' paradigm, such as drugs, religion, therapies, yoga etc...

you would think isolated nutrients are not a good thing, and for the most part that is what makes sense to me, but there are other ideas out there that should not be dismissed outright just because they run contrary to what we 'know' or even our past or present experiences.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 06:23PM by anaken.

Date: February 14, 2009 06:40PM

anaken,

Ha ha, I know what a Luddite is, as that's one of the epithets with which my friends have teased me! Nice friends, mine. Still, I don't see the point of spitting out the tomato or the celery--it's not chewing tobacco. Are there people who actually practice this as a form of mineralization? Sometimes, I just don't know, I just don't . . .

Date: February 14, 2009 07:45PM

I meant in no way to insult you. I don't know what English words you know and don't, I did my best to rephrase the entire thing.

no. hydration, which if one believes what I wrote prior..requires minerals, preferably found within the plant foods. If one is looking for a solvent they of course would want something like distilled water..which opens up the debate of whether THAT is healthy.

you can see whatever intelligence/foolishness you want. As for tobacco, having never done it I can only assume one gets all the nicotine they need from chewing it, and swallowing the tobacco gives limited 'benefit' in regards to the amount or affect of nicotine, and just leaves matter (in this case toxic) to be dealt with. So I don't see it as all together different. If you were to 'consume' an entire head of celery this way, you would realize the 'wadge' at the end is completely undigestable blank matter as useless as the tobacco (at that point, not disputing the benefit of fiber depending on circumstance). food matter - almost by definition - will have its own period of transit time both in the digestive process and in eliminative process (colon). vegetable matter can serve its own great function especially to push through cooked putrefying matter but isn't best with all systems depending on what else someone is doing.

I'm not saying this is necessary or doing raw other ways are wrong, hell some people claim they get all their minerals from just fruits alone, or the sun, or simply from not eating toxic foods keep their natural mineral balance intact. Just giving a tip on something someone could ADD which I know works very well.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 07:48PM by anaken.

Date: February 14, 2009 09:57PM

anaken,

I know you didn't mean to insult me; you tend to be polite. Ah, the pitfalls of conversing in monotonal text! Thanks for explaining this stuff. I appreciate when those on these boards that have been engaged in this lifestyle longer than I take the trouble to be specific. It's cool.

Date: February 15, 2009 12:52AM

no problem. yeah I try to be polite. Some things I might not word perfectly or it might come across like I'm trying to discredit something but I'm more about pushing the notion of possibility. One thing I learned early on is no one appreciates "mama's meatballs taste the best" kind of mentality. so I try not to do that or enter into someone elses shtick, but it happens sometimes.

of course the 'common sense' thing is that sweet fruits (and whole veggies) are the best source of hydration because of the 'organic water' and function as such as long as nothing inorganic enters the equation. But i'm discovering this isn't really accurate (even if it might in fact 'work', and for some people they just transcend this whole thing entirely), so I am giving at least part of a differing opinion on what might be helpful for folks.

cucumbers also work very well ( in season and peeled ) but can for some folks produce gas also.

[www.giveittomeraw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 12:57AM by anaken.

Date: February 15, 2009 01:49AM

anaken

its also thought by some that because of this, 90% of water just circulates without absorption. and will leach nutrients from the body. Some say water acts as a solvent..but there is also information that it actually re-embeds waste tissue in the body

I don't think water washes away cells. Cells have a cell wall that is selective about what enter the cell and what exits the cell. If water washed away the body then we would slowly dissolve with every bath or washing of the hands etc. I think the washing action of water in the body can be very useful as a mild form of chelation to help remove wastes from places like the "marshy areas" between the cells where debris collect. The purer the water the "hungrier" the water and the more effective it is in cleaning the body IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables