Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Raw beetroot?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: December 13, 2011 10:58AM

Do you eat it raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw beetroot?
Posted by: gems ()
Date: December 13, 2011 01:15PM

yes! grate it up and add it too salads smiling smiley yum or a juice...

beetroot
carrot
apple
lemon
ginger

my facourite!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 13, 2011 02:08PM

Sure do.
In the form of juice.
I use about 1/4 of a large beet per day.

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2011 02:23PM

Love beets. Grated in salad is nice. I add them to the fermenting jar for pink "pickles" too, lol.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 13, 2011 03:12PM

Raw--only juiced. I do like them pickled, but don't prepare them this way myself[must get a Perfect Pickler already!]

Date: December 13, 2011 04:10PM

Cool so I can just chop them up like onions and include them in my salads? I'll pick some up when im next out shopping.

Are beets the same as beetroots?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 13, 2011 04:52PM

they have a natural phytochemical, betaine I think, that is responsible for the deep red color and a natural vasodialtor, lowers blood pressure. Unfortunately, beet juice, like carrot juice, is full of sugar, so I cut mine with ginger root and purple cabbage to dilute the sugar. Eating it whole and raw or blanched is another strategy.

Paul

Date: December 13, 2011 06:11PM

Beets=beetroot, same same. Grated is a nice texture, chopped I find them a bit overwhelming. The flavour is pretty strong, earthy. Julienned would be ok.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 14, 2011 02:18AM

I love the taste of raw beets. Even though they are very sweet, eating them whole seems to mitigate the sugar rush when you juice them. One thing I do is marinate them with another cruncy vedge like cukes: Braggs, olive oil and raw vinegar.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 14, 2011 04:58AM

Beets containe, betaine and other great nutrients. It's such a great food you could almost consider it to be a medicine. The nutrients in beets do deteriorate whith cooking so I never cook them, I juice them. In fact, the only times I make juice without beets is when I'm out of beets!

[www.whfoods.com]
Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. The detox support provided by betalains includes support of some especially important Phase 2 detox steps involving glutathione. Although you can see these betalain pigments in other foods (like the stems of chard or rhubarb), the concentration of betalains in the peel and flesh of beets gives you an unexpectedly great opportunity for these health benefits.

In a recent study from Italy, beets were shown to be an especially important contributor of two carotenoids in the overall diet: lutein and zeaxanthin. Although much of the recent carotenoid research has focused on beta-carotene, both lutein and zeaxanthin are unique as health support molecules, particularly with respect to eye health and common age-related eye problems involving the macula and the retina. For eye health, beets may eventually turn out to require a category all their own.

Unlike some other food pigments, betalains undergo very steady loss from food as the length of cooking time is increased. For example, one recent study has shown the red betalain pigments in beets to be far less heat stable than red anthocyanin pigments in red cabbage. The difference between 15 minutes of steaming versus 25 minutes of steaming, or 60 minutes of roasting versus 90 minutes of roasting can be significant in terms of betalain damage. For these reasons, we recommend that you keep beet steaming times to 15 minutes or less, and roasting times under an hour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 05:01AM by tropical.

Posted by: skuli ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:23PM

I have never cared much for beets but when shopping for produce last week I found myself drawn to buy some juicing. My body must have been wanting something that is in them. I did like them juiced as long as I didn't have too much in there.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 14, 2011 11:12PM

dried raw beet juice + some vitamin e makes a nice lip stain/blush

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: December 15, 2011 12:18AM

Beets are also considered a longevity food and liver tonic. I wish I liked them more, but if I put them through the juicer with other things, I can get all the great benefits without tasting them too much.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 15, 2011 09:55AM

love it!

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 15, 2011 03:03PM

I like a raw beet grated over a salad nom nom lol.

But i don't really like using it for juicing anymore as it is rich in sugar and void of fiber so can cause blood sugar/insulin spikes.

The betaine beet root contains acts as a methyldonor which makes it useful for a variety of conditions that rely on methylation such as hormone and neuro-transmitter synthethis, cardiovascular disease reduction through lowering homocysteine, stomach acid production and more.

Which is why i like using TMG now and again, which is betaine. Not to be confused with Betaine HCL which is used for those with low stomach acid.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:44PM

powerlifer, I've missed you! smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2011 06:03PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer, I've missed you! smiling smiley

Hey Tamukha, aww ive missed you and this place also, good to be back smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: December 16, 2011 11:32PM

Haha! Tamukha! I wanted to say the same thing!

yay! Powerlifer is back!

Date: December 17, 2011 11:58AM

marsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haha! Tamukha! I wanted to say the same thing!
>
> yay! Powerlifer is back!

smiling smiley, good to see you are still around Marsh hope you are well also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 17, 2011 09:10PM

very often put a whole beetroot in my juice - along with handfuls of parsley - yum delicious

Date: December 17, 2011 09:37PM

Parsley is a nice herb, although you have to watch with large amounts as parsley is rich in coumarins which thin the blood. Also contains compounds which are photosensitizers.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: pAL ()
Date: December 18, 2011 05:54AM

To avoid the throat burning sensation - , -
Be sure to peel beets before eating them raw °_°
Oxalic acid in the skin gets neutralized when cooked -__-

Alkaline AL

Posted by: DEAN ()
Date: December 18, 2011 06:42PM

I would like to try it. especially juiced. I think the ginger and lemon would improve the taste.

==================
Warmly mike
The eat healthy guy
[bit.ly]

Date: December 18, 2011 06:46PM

Beets taste great in salads. I believe that beetroots are the same as beets. What we eat is actually the root. It was the Romans who started to harvest them. Great antioxidant too.

==================
Warmly mike
The eat healthy guy
[bit.ly]

Date: December 18, 2011 06:49PM

They found a way to separate the beet molecule from sugar. Great way to get all the vitamins in beets. Check out my report.
==================
Warmly mike
The eat healthy guy
[bit.ly]

Date: December 18, 2011 06:57PM

Whoa, DEAN, you can post all your replies in one post.

As for separating things from themselves, it's not really the goal of a whole living foods diet to eat extracts. I can't imagine that it's a better way to get all the vitamins in beets (or anything else) than to just eat them the way nature intended.

Oh, and beet greens are fantastic so eat those along with the roots particularly if you're concerned about the high sugar content smiling smiley.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: December 19, 2011 01:07AM

my new favorite meal is grated beet and carrots finely chopped collard greens a few green onion olive oil lemon or lime or raw vinegar a little brown mustard to taste... or not if you don't like mustard... grated ginger would work too... salt pepper to taste then wrap it up in a sheet of nori with some cucumber strips... cut it up like they do in the japanese restaurants or just eat it as a wrap... yummy!!!

didn't know beets had oxalic acid in the skin... guess i'll have to start peeling them...

love laugh and dream

Date: December 20, 2011 05:46PM

Have just had my first beet salad, they are a great addition, shame it took me so long to get into them. Im on a new veg a week journey, last weeks was Zucchini. Gotta be careful not to get complaicent in my meals!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:51PM

i know what you mean WanderRA .. i always kind looked down my nose at them . they really didnt look all that appealing in the veggie bins in the store

but they really are yummy smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:21PM

Beets have promise and peril. The root contains the betaine we all want but also some sugar so how we prepare it determines its effect. Grating and eating raw in salads is faultless. This is a raw forum, so I'm not going to go into blanching. When you start, don't get freaked out if you see red in going to the bathroom. it's harmless.

Beet juice lowers high blood pressure as a vasodialator... it widens blood vessels. think of a garden hose you put your thumb over the end of ... now imagine someone magically widens the size of the hose. Same volume of water.... much lower pressure. That is the therapeutic value of beet juice in plain english.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 06:26PM by pborst.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables