Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much grain should I eat?
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:06PM

Hi everyone! Yesterday I ate my first srouted grains. I made Quinoa sprouts and was pretty happy because for the first time I wasn't hungry again in an hour. I love the way that raw food makes me feel, but I am hungry all the time! I feel like I'm getting food obsessed and am always thinking about what I should eat next. The quinoa was pretty satisfying, but I'd hate to eat too much of it. Before I started with raw food, I ate rice almost at every meal. I believe that was what kept me satiated. My question to you, good folks, is if I can eat sprouted grain 2 times a day? Would that be bad for me? How much grain can I eat per day? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much grain should I eat?
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:15PM

Hi Satori

I think you're going to get quite a range of answers to this one!

Some answers will say 'none at all' as some people don't believe we should be eating grains at all - raw or cooked.

I don't happen to agree. My article on raw, sprouted wheat can be found here:
[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

As for 'how much' I'm not sure that anyone could come up with an answer there. It would depend on how active you are, what other food you're eating, etc.

If I HAD to say 'how much' though I'd say twice a day is perhaps too much, as grains are quite heavy on the digestion.

I eat lots of fruit and leaves during the day, and often have a piece of Essene bread (raw, sprouted wheatbread) (see Part 2 article that follows Part 1 above) early evening.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:49PM

what to eat

is it whole
does it taste good
is it fresh
is it raw
is it low in toxins
can you chew it
can you digest it
is it ripe

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2009 06:22PM

twelve pounds a day

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 12, 2009 06:28PM

Hi satori,

If you like sprouted grains, by all means eat them if they help you stay raw. Myself, I never liked them much and I moved to eating fruit for my energy source rather than the starch in grains of the fats in nuts/seeds.

With eating grains twice a day, this may inhibit your ability to eat and enjoy fruit, as I don't think these foods digest well together.

Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: February 12, 2009 06:48PM

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 13, 2009 06:47AM

Hi Satori,

I think if you stay raw, if you have a varied diet, and if you exercise, your body will tell you when you've had enough grain. I believe you'll learn to pick up on your own unique signals.

I eat grain, but not every day (not even close). I often don't know in advance when I will want to eat it, so having sprouts available can be a problem. When that happens, I eat raw wheat germ. Just a couple of tablespoons once or twice a week on a salad.

Debbietook, I absolutely LOVED your article.

My favorite grain is kamut. What a mysterious history on that grain! It's wheat, but bigger, with less gluten, and it has a great wheaty taste. I love making Essene bread with it when I have the time and the sun. Good bread with avo and tomato. Yum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 06:50AM by suncloud.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 13, 2009 07:05AM

Hi suncloud

Thanks - really appreciate the feedback :-)

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 13, 2009 08:49AM

I cannot eat any grains/sprouts at all as they make me tremendously bloated and cause a lot of pain. But that's ok with me because i don't really like them anyway - ha ha

I have never tried essene bread but would like to.

I think when you are hungry all the time the best thing to do is to eat sweet fruit and lots of it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 14, 2009 12:41AM

One thing to be said about grains is that on a cost per calorie basis they are really really cheap, and that will be increasingly important for many of us as we fall on very hard economic times.

If it's a choice between local fruit and distant grain, I'd choose the fruit.

But if it's a choice between distant fruit and distant grain, grain is probably going to be the lower environmental impact and lower cost choice. If you tolerate them, it is not going to kill you to include them in your diet, unless they are all or almost all of what you eat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables