Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Dumb" Question about Greens
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: February 14, 2009 02:38PM

I can't believe I am actually asking this because I feel as though I should know the answer. What is the difference between greens and lettuces? I always thought that lettuces (romaine, red leaf, green leaf) were considered greens but I recently read in a couple of places implying otherwise. Help.

Thank you.

Patty

And, yes, there are such things as dumb questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Dumb" Question about Greens
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 14, 2009 02:43PM

Greens CAN be any green leafy vegetables. Here's the wiki on it:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-In the raw community, folks are often referring specifically to the darker greens like spinach, romaine, mustard, collard, kale, etc. Lettuce still counts though! Heh..heh. If you are keeping score. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 15, 2009 01:51AM

I think people usually think of the very dark ones because those are the ones with the highest nutrient density.

But you can't eat tons of them in a day. I tried that once, it was a painful mistake and the pain lasted about 5 hours.

But I have no problem at all with romaine or any other lettuce. Sure they don't have as much green in them but they go down easier and you can eat small mountains of them in a day.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 15, 2009 08:29PM

I've been juicing my greens - that's easier to digest and easier to eat fat-free if you are having a hard time getting them.

Lately, I've been doing a apple, collards, broccoli, romaine, and cucumber mix. Yum!

Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: February 16, 2009 02:29AM

Lettuce is a green. Read more about the inclusion of greens in your diet here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables