Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Bags
Date: February 16, 2009 12:46AM

I picked up some green produce bags by Debbie Meyer yesterday which are reusable bags to extend the life of produce. Supposedly the fruit/veg give off ethylene gases which occur during the ripening process with exposure leading to accelerated aging and deterioration of the produce. The bags are made with a mineral "oya" that is supposed to extend the life of the produce by removing the gasses.

Has anyone ever used these bags? I am skeptic of plastic and leeching of chemicals through plastic, does anyone have any information on whether these bags are a good thing or whether they do more harm then good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Bags
Posted by: adadel ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:25AM

My house mate uses these bags. She has been able to keep her produce amazingly long. My understanding is that all plastics leach, it is just a matter of how much. You might want to research the grade of the plastic and it's leaching reputation based on the grade.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:22AM

Yes, I have used these bags. COndensation formed inside and the food spoiled even more rapidly than its counterparts letf out on teh counter without a bag.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 09:47AM

I live in England so i don't know if the bags are exactly the same but my relations swear by them. I have always viewed them with suspicion because, like you, I don't like the thought of wrapping everything up in plastic. Also I don't want to buy plastic if i can possibly avoid it.

Date: February 16, 2009 02:01PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have done some research and there are a lot of people asking the leaching question without many answers.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: February 17, 2009 10:08PM

All I know is trhat it does work! Got my first box at Whole foods. At the price of fresh produce, it s a good choice. From what I read, I can't see how they could be harmful. I sure hope not. Janice

Date: February 17, 2009 11:59PM

Excellent! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables