Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lipids
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: February 17, 2009 10:13PM

People are amazed at my HDL being 100. I have to show it on the lab results, for them to believe me. I think my diet has a lot to do with it. They are then not so hot on critizing my choices of food! Janice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lipids
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 17, 2009 10:16PM

Way to go! What do you eat? How are you exercising?

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: February 17, 2009 10:23PM

cleanjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think my diet has a lot to do with it.

Nah, it's all in your head.

(just kidding)

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 18, 2009 12:27AM

Sounds like a Big Mac deficiency.

But seriously, please tell us what your diet looks like. That's fantastic.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 18, 2009 03:33AM

That's awesome! That's a good idea, I should get one of those tests, too. Except I don't have any naysayers to my diet, as my personality changed so dramatically from going raw. My family buys me raw cookbooks, I think they don't want me falling off the wagon haha. Before I used to be really irritable and prone to temper-tantrums.

Date: February 21, 2009 05:06PM

Thanks for all of your accolades! I have always been careful with my diet.Stopped eating meat 4 years ago. Have done 3 "lemonade" cleanses, but has been over 2 years since I did that. My Chol level is 240, but my MD said not to worry- My HDL/LDL is so great. I have read the Chol is more what you are genetically given, and the rest of lipid profile is from diet/ exercise. I do excercise a little every day, plus my job. I love fruits and veg's. Used to eat Salmon, but thanks to this forum have stopped too. Still eat some cooked, sorry all you mostly raw. I am still on the road to attaining that. I get enough grief from those SAD eaters around me, as it is. Good health to u all ! Janice

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: February 21, 2009 07:19PM

What is your LDL? When you get your total down there won't be a need for an HDL that high.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:34PM

..240-100=140 for LDL? Anyway the MD has access to the all the information and says not to worry. A (mixed raw) study -

"The dietary cholesterol intake in our study population was also low in all variants of the raw food diet. The low triglyceride and total cholesterol levels in serum may reflect the low fat intake and the low BMI of these raw food diet adherents. Several studies with lacto-vegetarians reported favorable lipid profiles compared with individuals following conventional diets (3,54,55). However, to our knowledge, there have been no other reports of such extremely low triglyceride and total cholesterol levels. Nevertheless, despite the negative trend for total and LDL cholesterol with increasing proportions of raw food, the total:HDL and LDL:HDL cholesterol ratios and the triglyceride levels were not associated with the amount of raw food consumed or the variant of the raw food diet. Thus, consumption of greater amounts of raw food did not improve the LDL:HDL cholesterol ratio. These results indicate that an extremely high consumption of raw food does not positively affect lipid profiles. Moreover, 46% of raw food dieters had low HDL cholesterol; in fact, those concentrations were lowest in the group of participants who ate the greatest amount of raw food."

[jn.nutrition.org]

..populations with high coconut consumption tend to have higher HDL, LDL and total cholesterol levels but are healthy.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 22, 2009 01:48PM

Raw emphasizing fats and juices will probably not do that much for improving plasma lipid profiles.

Raw emphasizing whole fruits and vegetables including lots of fiber probably will do a great deal for improving plasma lipid profiles.

A total of 240 mg/dl would worry me (mine was half of that last time it was checked). High HDL makes it less risky but I'd aim to get the total a lot lower if it were me.

Date: February 22, 2009 03:20PM

..being careful with diet and "fruits and veg's" are being emphasized in this case, I believe.

The study linked above included 43 raw (70%+) vegans who averaged 30.3% (19.4%-45.2%) calories from fat, comparable to other raw vegan studies like the Luigi Fontana low protein, and the Finland triglyceride study, as I recall -- nothing too far out of the ordinary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 03:31PM by loeve.

Date: February 24, 2009 06:14AM

Loeve, Good deduction,LDL 140 it was. The link you provided is very interesting. thanks, Janice

Date: February 24, 2009 03:32PM

Thanks, Janice, yes, it's well done, imo. The "Giessen Raw Food Study" tells how the German raw fooders are getting good cholesterol numbers, but not as good B12 status.

The German general population has also been cutting down on % of calories from fat from 40% (for men) in 1988 to 33-34% in 1998; so the faw fooders, at 30.3% of calories from fat are considered to be doing very well, and within German dietary recomendations aiming for 30-35%.

"Conclusions
"Changes in food choices and nutrient intakes reflect the
influences of industry, mass communication, and commercial
advertising in our society (Nicklas et al. 1993).
Nowadays, the prevention of chronic nutrition-related diseases
associated with an affluent diet is in the core of nutrition
sciences. This includes a population-based strategy
aimed at a fat-modified and fat-reduced diet rich in carbohydrates
beginning in childhood. Translated into foodbased
dietary guidelines, e.g. the US food pyramid (US
Department of Agriculture, 1992) or the German food
cycle (Deutsche Gesellschaft fu¨r Erna¨hrung, 1991) and
the Optimized Mixed Diet, a preventive concept for
German children and adolescents (Alexy et al. 2000),
these messages have wide dissemination, and their initial
success can now be seen in our present study."

[journals.cambridge.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 03:37PM by loeve.

Date: February 24, 2009 05:27PM

I learned about the need to supplement B12 a couple years ago, so I use the sublingual dots 500 mcg, daily.Thanks for your input! Janice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables