Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Recent Pic of Doug Graham
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 12, 2012 05:24PM

I respect his transparency. That's an important trait for health advisers to possess.

[30bananasadaysucks.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent Pic of Doug Graham
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:04PM

What do you mean? something wrong with the pic? Graham's lookin pretty trim.

Date: March 12, 2012 06:21PM

Chill. What I mean is that most, especially once they hit a certain age, aren't that transparent with their bods. I respect that he puts himself out there for scrutiny as the creator and best known follower of his diet. If he's happy. Great. Should also add that it's really cool that a lot of long-time raw folks are getting older and we can see the effect on aging. Seriously, I have mad respect for the guy for putting himself out there and letting us take a look around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 06:24PM by HeavenHands.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 12, 2012 06:39PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you mean? something wrong with the pic?
> Graham's lookin pretty trim.

"Trim" or emaciated? I think Frederic Patenuade exemplifies a healthy-looking physique, at least in my eyes. [www.youtube.com]

Some of these "gurus" look anorexic at best.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 12, 2012 07:11PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
> Chill. What I mean is that most, especially once
> they hit a certain age, aren't that transparent
> with their bods. I respect that he puts himself
> out there for scrutiny as the creator and best
> known follower of his diet. If he's happy. Great.
> Should also add that it's really cool that a lot
> of long-time raw folks are getting older and we
> can see the effect on aging. Seriously, I have mad
> respect for the guy for putting himself out there
> and letting us take a look around.

I am chilled, and didn't intend to come off as agressive. I was just seeking an answer to my questions, which you did not provide. Are you saying he looks thin? unhealthy? smiling smiley

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: March 12, 2012 08:24PM

People don't realize that aging doesn't only depend on diet. I happen to study a lot on the subject of aging, and especially facial aging. There are so many factors involved, like wrong posture and bone alignment, muscles underneath the skin being contracted in a certain way over the years from smiling, frowning, squinting, pressing your face in the piollow for 8 hours, other muscles atrophying, etc. Then the fat layer in people over 60 tends to not form right, especially in the face. If you're fit, and you're over 60, chances are that your face will be looking emaciated due to lack of facial fat not forming correctly. So while having fat in the body is not exactly good for our health, having a little of it, does contribute to looking more youtfull. Dr. Graham does look a little dried up, due to what I said above. But he's obivously fit and healthy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 08:26PM by littlemermaid.

Date: March 12, 2012 10:11PM

@ WanderRA

If you want my full opinion, which is mixed, let me know and I'll gladly give it to you in a PM. I just thought that the people here would be interested in seeing where Doug's at.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 12, 2012 10:40PM

I think he looks very trim for his age. smiling smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 12, 2012 11:10PM

And how old is he?

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 12, 2012 11:15PM

banana who Wrote:
> WanderRA Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What do you mean? something wrong with the pic?
> > Graham's lookin pretty trim.
>
>
> "Trim" or emaciated? I think Frederic Patenuade
> exemplifies a healthy-looking physique, at least
> in my eyes.
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Some of these "gurus" look anorexic at best.
Is not Frederic Patenuade younger?? Graham look very good for his age.

Date: March 12, 2012 11:21PM

58 I believe.

Panchito Wrote:
> And how old is he?

Date: March 12, 2012 11:27PM

I'm not buying any of this for a minute, but I would love to read about it. Care to provide a link to a web-site or book? Thanks Leanne. Much appreciated.

littlemermaid Wrote:
> People don't realize that aging doesn't only
> depend on diet. I happen to study a lot on the
> subject of aging, and especially facial aging.
> There are so many factors involved, like wrong
> posture and bone alignment, muscles underneath the
> skin being contracted in a certain way over the
> years from smiling, frowning, squinting, pressing
> your face in the piollow for 8 hours, other
> muscles atrophying, etc. Then the fat layer in
> people over 60 tends to not form right, especially
> in the face. If you're fit, and you're over 60,
> chances are that your face will be looking
> emaciated due to lack of facial fat not forming
> correctly. So while having fat in the body is not
> exactly good for our health, having a little of
> it, does contribute to looking more youtfull. Dr.
> Graham does look a little dried up, due to what I
> said above. But he's obivously fit and healthy.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 13, 2012 12:27AM

If he allowed just a little bit more of fat onto his body, he would look much better.

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: March 13, 2012 01:35AM

Wow, that blew me away. I know people living on an SAD who are almost his age give or take a few years who actually look like they're in their 30(s).

I am afraid that anyone who thinks that the figure scultpured in that photo is fit and well trimmed; is actually absolutely wrong to say the least.

Now keep in mind that what's actually keeping the brain functions of any man on such a diet from shrinking just like the body from the outside is exercising daily for hours and hours to extremes that are destroying the body even more and probably researching, writing books, being active and mobile.

If you're a person who is in his late 30 and 40 and you re on such a diet, and you re not active to burn all the carb calories that you're putting into your body day in day out, then please, please, you owe it to yourself, be moderate and do some more research and observe what others have to say who have more experience than you.

Once you hit a certain age, and if youre not taking good care of your body from when you re young the body hits a point of no-return where some of the body's most effective and important anti-aging arsenal is depleted (like the telomeres) and they body wont recover from it.

I have noticed that 90% if not more of the people who are following this new cult of a diet are actually in their early 20(s) and teen years which is fine since their body produces enough hormones to undo the damage later and after experimenting for a couple of years to 5 or at most 7 which still puts them in their mid to late 20(s), they mature, and correct the course of this experiment.

They have time to reverse the damage. However, as i mentioned before, if you're old, please just move on to more healthy practices (it can all be on a vegan diet ofcourse) and dont risk what cant be fixed.

If you guys want to see healthy looking for someone who is twice the age of Dr. G, please watch this video (below). That's healthy looking guys. The eyes dont lie. That's all i wanted to say for now.

Good Luck

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 01:38AM by Duke.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 13, 2012 02:47AM

Neat video, Duke. I do think that people born before the advent of processed foods and commuter life(like my grandparents who were all long-lived, and vigorous into old age) look and actually ARE healthier than those of us born in the modern era can hope to be.

Date: March 13, 2012 03:08AM

I agree. I've been thinking about how the rampant use of antibiotics has affected my generation. I remember kids in high school consuming huge bottles of tetracycline as a non-effective "cure" for acne. I also read a while back in a farming magazine that in the 1950s the average America grocery store had an average of 3K products on its shelves. Today they have 40-60K. People are throwing too much garbage at their bodies, and yes, so much of it is processed.

Tamukha Wrote:
> Neat video, Duke. I do think that people born
> before the advent of processed foods and commuter
> life(like my grandparents who were all long-lived,
> and vigorous into old age) look and actually ARE
> healthier than those of us born in the modern era
> can hope to be.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 13, 2012 05:52AM

I'd love to know what percentage of those products comes in a box, can, etc., vs. fresh produce.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 13, 2012 06:05AM

I think Dr.D looks pretty good from the neck down. Years ago he was more muscular...probably from lifting weights.
Be careful if you meet him in person. I understand he wants to arm-wrestle everyone......WY

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: March 13, 2012 08:11AM

the problem is that he has spent too much time in the sun. he has addressed this in the past.

Date: March 13, 2012 10:14AM

I agree. I've seen old people that spent lot of time under the sun and the skin looks similar. They look dry up. It doesn't help either if you don't have the fat to buffer the sun. On the pic, the right shoulder (left) looks a little cooked. He also seems to have somewhat strange eyes, almost like a skeleton head. Most important to me, I wonder how his brain mass has changed (brain should be almost all fat). But that is impossible to figure out.

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:17AM

Duke,

The one-hundred-nine year old's ethnicity is a key factor in his youthful appearance. I recently knew an eighty-six year old woman with a similar ethnicity who had an age defying, unlined face. Dark-skinned individuals have more melanin which offers the skin sun damage protection.

rawne

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:37AM

It doesn't matter how a person looks for their age. I bet that he feels great and full of energy. There's not much difference as far as longevity goes, but there's plenty of difference in regards to quality of life. For example, someone who smokes may shorten their life by some years if they don't die from cancer. However, their quality of life would be very much reduced.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 13, 2012 12:43PM

But the lady with him, very young and healthy looking

Date: March 13, 2012 01:02PM

But good appearance is what they preach. They keep comparing the fat appearance of the paleo diet people with the skinny appearance of the 811 diet people.

geo Wrote:
> It doesn't matter how a person looks for their
> age. I bet that he feels great and full of energy.
> There's not much difference as far as longevity
> goes, but there's plenty of difference in regards
> to quality of life. For example, someone who
> smokes may shorten their life by some years if
> they don't die from cancer. However, their quality
> of life would be very much reduced.

Date: March 13, 2012 01:04PM

A 93 year old playing the harmonica after drinking 3 pints of beer. [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 13, 2012 01:13PM

I wish that were true for me. I'm vain and need to look good. The psychological benefits do wonders for my physical health. It gives me another reason to get up in the morning. I'm not judging whether he looks old for his age or not, just saying that the psychological effects of not looking good (relative to one's age of course) can be bad for some people's health. I'll also add that I will never resort to cosmetic surgery. I'm not THAT vain. It has to be done naturally. To me the most attractive people are the ones who look their age while exuding a deep health. I know a lot of middle-aged and older people with the bodies and skin of twentysomethings, but when you look in their eyes, you can see that they've been through a lot and have a ton of wisdom. That is very, very attractive to me. The eyes tell all.

geo Wrote:
> It doesn't matter how a person looks for their
> age. I bet that he feels great and full of energy.
> There's not much difference as far as longevity
> goes, but there's plenty of difference in regards
> to quality of life. For example, someone who
> smokes may shorten their life by some years if
> they don't die from cancer. However, their quality
> of life would be very much reduced.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 13, 2012 01:51PM

Looking young is not necessarly the same as looking healthy, the key is being healty and the energy one has to live life fully. They are nice looking cars that break down frequently. Nice looking bad mechanics.

Date: March 13, 2012 02:38PM

I see _a_lot_ of oriental women that have a teenager body but you can tell in their faces that they are up there. They do look attractive! Not sure why. Could it be their diet?

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:36PM

They have small frames and do not eat lot of fats.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:51PM

While we can't see what's going on inside Doug's body, imo his outside body looks fit.

I live at senior apts. ( 55 years+) and if not all of the men (just for comparison sake I'm only thinking of the men) most of them are on the SAD and look it. They are in any combination of ill health including cancer, parkinson, strokes, copd and anxiety and panic attacks, diabetes, poor eyesight and blindness, etc..and they look terrible and old for their respective ages and mostly they feel terrible. They also are treated by Dr.'s that imo do more harm than good. It's barbaric in many cases.

Doug and others like him are lucky to be dedicated to a healthier lifestyle. His diet may not be perfect but it's miles ahead of the SAD and he's miles above his peer group and many younger than that also.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 03:55PM by Prism.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables