Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

detox / flu
Posted by: learning_raw ()
Date: February 22, 2009 08:27PM

I'm going through detox and have flu

Drink lots of orange/grapefruit/celery/carrot juice following my intuition

Body pain and fewer bothers me though and it is making it hard for me to function - I am thinking of introducing mild dose of theraflu to make this transition easier for me.

Can you please help me educate my self for
1. Would a drug like theraflu *slow down* my detox
2. What would be my raw alternative

Any reference to links to read on tis would also be good
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: detox / flu
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2009 09:10PM

Are you sure the flu isn't detox symptoms? Even if you have distinct flu symptoms, it could be a dormant variant of the virus that you had a long time ago reactivating in reponse to detox. Theraflu has stuff in it that your body doesn't need, even in relative health. The best thing for a virus is to get lots of liquids and to rest as much as possible and let your immune system do its job. Your intuition is correct about citrus; as I mentioned elsewhere on these boards a couple months ago, I got myself over some weird 1 1/2 week-old virus overnight by drinking a humongous blended cocktail of unpeeled diced lemons, oranges, cucumber and red apples(with seeds). Tasted awful, worked great. I'd add more citrus variety, like lemons, limes, and other good Vitamin C sources like strawberries and acerola berries. If you MUST take medicine, I recommend Sambucol, which is an elderberry extract. Elderberry kills several classes of viruses. Also consider zinc lozenges, but don't take them with Vitamin C or Vitamin C-rich foods--they counteract one another. Keep us posted, and I hope you get well very soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 09:18PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: February 22, 2009 09:10PM

hi
i've had great success with garlic.
i take a clove, chop it up and swallow
with a small bit of water.
don't drink water after because i think
the garlic acts like a fire in your system
to rid you of viruses.
good luck
dc

Date: February 22, 2009 09:32PM

Hey thanks very much for the replies. Yes I tried to mean my flu is part of my detox, english is not my native language so pls bear with me.

OK sounds good I currently have another big cup of citrus next to me : ) I will place some lemons next time also

If I cannot take zinc with with vitamin c then I am pretty much done with that as my base seem to be a lot of citrus.

Would it be advisable to swallow garlic before drinking my citrus mix?

I am working to make living so I don't have the leisure to spend days resting in bed that is the reason I am wondering if there are any raw herbs or fruits that could give me some strength to at least increase my functioning a bit..

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 22, 2009 09:36PM

If it is detox,and not a virus, and you feel like it's getting a bit beyond you, then slow down the process by adding some cooked food to your diet. Or even go further by eating some acid-forming foods like cooked rolled oats for instance, or cottege cheese etc. Actually, take the transition more slowly and add some of the foods you used to eat, then gradually replace these foods with more raw.

This is just my opinion, and worked for me. It does make sense though, that by diverting the body's energies away from detox slows down the process.

Cheers geo

Date: February 22, 2009 09:57PM

How do you understand if it is detox or virus?

Date: February 22, 2009 10:25PM

Can you go to a doctor? They should be able to discern one from the other. A casual way to tell is if you have a fever, and feel severe ague--pain in muscles and bones. Some of that can be detox, but a fever and bad pain is usually the flu. Also, have you been in contact with anyone you know to have the flu, or have you had a flu shot? If you haven't, this makes it unlikely that you have the flu--it must be contracted from someone or something infected.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 23, 2009 01:03AM

I went through bad detox, the flu for 2 weeks solid (plus other detox episodes). I had to just let the mucus be expelled. I drank tea made with 1/4 teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds and that helped expel the mucus. I kept drinking hot lemon with raw, unfiltered honey (or other raw sweetner you choose.) I also parasite zapped and got lots of rest.

The only way to slow detox is to eat some cooked veggies. Also, you could eat raw veggies rather than raw fruit.

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: February 23, 2009 01:44AM

Hey thanks all for the replies

It helps to see my options, I will post how it progress

Date: February 23, 2009 12:26PM

Actually, I believe 'fever' per se (heat) is the body's responce to toxemia etc., and a vital part of the healing processes.

Date: February 23, 2009 09:06PM

Yes, geo, however, I understand that a high fever is rare for detox but consistent as a symptom of the flu.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 24, 2009 12:06AM

When/if I get the flu I like to put an extra blanket on my bed to help the body achieve the internal body temperature needed to complete the natural work the body is trying to do. Theres an old saying (might be Chinese ?) that goes like this "wise is the person who cooperates with nature". I consider an extra blanket during times of fever to be getting right in step with nature.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 24, 2009 01:44AM

I just finished reading an interesting article about vitamin D and how it diminishes the risk of colds and flu: [www.sciencenews.org]

Date: February 24, 2009 11:48PM

Interesting article EZrider. I think most people on SAD are D deficient.

And re 'fever', I believe 'ANY' range of fever is the body's response to toxins/bacterial infection or viral invasion, therefore becoming a 'symptom' of such. And detox can come in the form of 'flu-like' symptoms.

Interesting you try to increase the heat/fever with adding a blanket EZrider. I've read that in the past medicos would try to induce a high fever by the use of certain concoctions to increase the body's natural healing abilities. Of course, this was closely managed.

Cheers geo

Date: February 25, 2009 01:48AM

Hey I rode my fever by consuming lots of citrus juices and lots of rest and no drugs and it turned out great. First night fever increased a lot and almost suddenly subsided around midnight then it was a very easy ride lots of sweating and drinking lots of fluids. Nice first time exposure for me how to go through a 'sickness' without consuming drugs or such..

Date: February 25, 2009 10:59AM

Hey that's great LearningRaw. So often we begin to doubt ourselves and give in to drugs. However, I've read where a fever can be so intense that it itself can be a danger, so it would need to be managed by say, a good naturopath.

Thx for sharing your personal experience, as it's good to hear of success stories like this.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: February 25, 2009 03:20PM

Learning_raw,

I am glad you are feeling better. I am struggling very much right now too with massive detox that appears very flu-like. I am doing my darndest to ride it out as well. I even had an incision site from surgery in November all of a sudden swell up on me last night. It is truly amazing what happens in the body and what the body can do for itself.

Take care.

Patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables